Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my UKCAT is tomorrow and ive been getting around 650 on my practice tests..... Would this be above most cut-off points? I'm thinking of applying to Bristol and Barts and maybe Kings but other suggestions that may accept this score will be appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about the cut-offs just yet - I know it's hard to not think ahead of your options if you're a planning-type person like me, but really, it's no use with regards to the UKCAT. 650 is a perfectly good score (not for King's though tbh), but many people score better in the actual exam than in mocks. I made lots of backup plans in case of a bad UKCAT but ended up getting a score I was really happy with, so all my planning and worrying was for nothing. Try not to think about it before tomorrow, do your best, and then start considering your options. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    Don't worry about the cut-offs just yet - I know it's hard to not think ahead of your options if you're a planning-type person like me, but really, it's no use with regards to the UKCAT. 650 is a perfectly good score (not for King's though tbh), but many people score better in the actual exam than in mocks. I made lots of backup plans in case of a bad UKCAT but ended up getting a score I was really happy with, so all my planning and worrying was for nothing. Try not to think about it before tomorrow, do your best, and then start considering your options. Good luck

So the actual exam is easier than the mocks? Ive split up my mocks and its always my abstract reasoning and sometimes the maths that lowers my average.... Are they more doable in the real thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julesaquilina)
    So the actual exam is easier than the mocks? Ive split up my mocks and its always my abstract reasoning and sometimes the maths that lowers my average.... Are they more doable in the real thing?
    It's obviously an individual thing but most people say that AR and QR are easier in the real thing (for me they certainly were, and I got 730 and 850 in them while getting around 600 in mocks). VR and SJ are pretty much the same though. Just try to be confident and remember to skip too hard questions because you'll want to spend your time on getting all the easier ones right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    It's obviously an individual thing but most people say that AR and QR are easier in the real thing (for me they certainly were, and I got 730 and 850 in them while getting around 600 in mocks). VR and SJ are pretty much the same though. Just try to be confident and remember to skip too hard questions because you'll want to spend your time on getting all the easier ones right!
    Is it like..... variable on the day how hard your questions are? Could you be lucky/unlucky with the difficulty of the questions or are they all standardised? Cuz everyone gets different questions.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I found the maths in the actual test much better than I thought it would be I was getting like half marks and stuff in mocks and was really worried I went in and it was my best section I got 810 on it. My abstract reasoning sucks tbh but I still did better in it than I was expecting. It sounds like you've done plenty of work for it I'm sure you'll do great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julesaquilina)
    Is it like..... variable on the day how hard your questions are? Could you be lucky/unlucky with the difficulty of the questions or are they all standardised? Cuz everyone gets different questions.
    Everybody gets allocated different questions I think, and while I've heard that the people who manage the UKCAT work hard to ensure that the standard is as similar as possible, there are always some people who get lucky and some people who get unlucky. Try not to worry about this in advance either though, since the odds are very much on the side of getting an averagely difficult set of questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.