Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions about driving / driving test / My driving instructor watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok i am 19 lessons in. Driving instructor is sound. I have always heard "Feeding the wheel" and handbrake are important in your test

My driving instructor has never instructed on either of these apart from the handbrake when parking / pulling up. In traffic i just have my foot gently on the brake.

Is this going to get me a fail in a test?

What are "major" mistakes in driving test?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The DVLA has loads of info about this but no these are not important for your test.

ReputationRep:
    Applying the handbrake should be done whenever you are stopped for longer than brief pauses. What happens if you don't? Well, on a flat road, not much. If you are on an uphill gradient and your lack of handbrake causes you to roll backwards, you risk failing. Best to use it, really.

As for what causes fails, well any fault which is:
    • potentially dangerous - such as changing lanes without using mirrors
    • totally and utterly wrong - such as turning right from the left-most lane (why some learners do this beggars belief, but they do)
    • causing traffic obstructions - such as stalling to an extent that traffic can't get through the lights or has to stop and wait for you
    • illegal - such as exceeding speed limits or parking on yellow lines
    • actually dangerous - such as almost colliding with another vehicle, object or person, whether or not the examiner has to use steering or dual brake to avoid a crash
    • unacceptably habitual in nature - such as not using the handbrake where necessary on hills, rolling back or stalling as a result, over and over and over again

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Ok i am 19 lessons in. Driving instructor is sound. I have always heard "Feeding the wheel" and handbrake are important in your test

My driving instructor has never instructed on either of these apart from the handbrake when parking / pulling up. In traffic i just have my foot gently on the brake.

It really depends who is examining you and what your test circumstances are. Ultimately where I live, they don't give a flying monkey if you don't use to handbrake in traffic or for long periods, as long as you drive safe cause in the end if you do wear out the clutch its your own car. My instructor too never really spoke about the handbrake but it's common sense to use it if you're waiting on a hill to avoid rolling back or if you're perhaps stuck in traffic. Ask your instructor about this to be sure. Once you pass you can cross your hands all you like, that's what I do. I find it so much easier to cross over than feed the wheel. You won't fail a test for not using the handbrake in traffic but you will most likely if you roll back. Some reasons that can fail you: failing to do the maneuver correctly, stopping at secondary lights, continuously stalling, speeding, awareness and mirrors, if you're travelling at an inappropriate speed so this could be going too slow on a main road. If you need more, look up videos on youtube. This guy does great mock exams and he also explains the fails of the pupils Really helped!

ReputationRep:
    Thats great thankyou Popodopalaus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)

Hi there My Name is Jake Ochiltree and I'm am an experienced driving instructor.
    The Driving Test is only a test of basic driving, where you need to get around the test route in 1 piece safely and legally.
    The issue is that you only drive for about 30 minutes or so if you break the law or do or make a mistake that could potentially cause an accident then you will fail.
    If you make a few minor errors on the way then you should be fine.
    So whilst feeding the wheel is the preferred steering method if you don't do it but you have control of the car then its fine.
    You don't always need to put the handbrake on but again if you don't put it on and then accidently drop the clutch then you might lose control of the car so you wouldn't fail for not putting the handbrake on but for losing control of the car.
    Hope this makes sense if you have any more questions please ask and I will reply to them.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant, thanks Jake

ReputationRep:
    Major common mistakes in a driving test that result in a fail.

Speeding
    Driving too slow
    Not having 2 hands on the wheel
    Failing to sound horn in busy traffic or when you should do
    Fidgeting with radio when driving
    Stopping on double red line
    Stalling or skidding during emergency stop
    Talking whilst on test
    Not stopping in heavy rain or bad conditions
    Arriving late for driving test
    Swearing
    Failing eye sight test

Why would you fail for driving to slowly? surely its better to do so to prevent accident, just in case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Why would you fail for driving to slowly? surely its better to do so to prevent accident, just in case
    Because you would be causing hold-ups to other traffic. If you cause enough frustration to others that they start taking risks to get past you, then you're part of the problem.

It's a test of overall competence to drive, and if you have to drive ultra-slowly and over-cautiously to avoid losing control or making a mistake, then you're not deemed competent. A safe, competent driver can drive up to the legal speed limit where safe to do so, make safe reasonable progress and show confidence with sound judgement.

(Original post by Advisor)
    Because you would be causing hold-ups to other traffic. If you cause enough frustration to others that they start taking risks to get past you, then you're part of the problem.

It's a test of overall competence to drive, and if you have to drive ultra-slowly and over-cautiously to avoid losing control or making a mistake, then you're not deemed competent. A safe, competent driver can drive up to the legal speed limit where safe to do so, make safe reasonable progress and show confidence with sound judgement.
    Right, that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Major common mistakes in a driving test that result in a fail.

Speeding
    Driving too slow
    Not having 2 hands on the wheel
    Failing to sound horn in busy traffic or when you should do
    Fidgeting with radio when driving
    Stopping on double red line
    Stalling or skidding during emergency stop
    Talking whilst on test
    Not stopping in heavy rain or bad conditions
    Arriving late for driving test
    Swearing
    Failing eye sight test
    Some of this isn't correct

How are you going to change gear if you can't take one of your hands off of the steering wheel?
    You don't have to sound the horn in busy traffic
    You don't fail for stalling
    You don't fail for talking or swearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    I have had a few pupils fail in the past for driving to slow.If you are driving so slow that everyone else feels they need to overtake then you will fail.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, be aware of:

- Blind spots
    - Indicating
    - Changing lanes
    - Speed (I got a minor for going too slow!)

ReputationRep:
    Blind Spots for sure

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.