Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I will be applying for university this year so will be receiving loans 2017/18. My Mum and Dad are divorced, I basically live with my Dad 100% of the time because my Mum lives with my Grandmother and I only ever have short visits there. I want to claim my finance on my Mum because my parents have agreed that, since my Dad has supported me up to 18, my Mum should support me through uni. The problem is my Mum lives 2 hours away from me so when filling out a finance form our addresses will be very noticeably different. It is also true my Mum earns less than my Dad and therefore I would be getting a bigger loan through her. Will this cause any problems with my application?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by domaths)
    Hello, I will be applying for university this year so will be receiving loans 2017/18. My Mum and Dad are divorced, I basically live with my Dad 100% of the time because my Mum lives with my Grandmother and I only ever have short visits there. I want to claim my finance on my Mum because my parents have agreed that, since my Dad has supported me up to 18, my Mum should support me through uni. The problem is my Mum lives 2 hours away from me so when filling out a finance form our addresses will be very noticeably different. It is also true my Mum earns less than my Dad and therefore I would be getting a bigger loan through her. Will this cause any problems with my application?
    Hi,

We would need the household income details from the parent that you live with.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morven SFE)
    Hi,

We would need the household income details from the parent that you live with.

Thanks
    I understand this but then how do you make the decision of which parent to base the loan on? In my case it will be unfair if it is based on my Dad since he is not the one who will be supporting me
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I understand this but then how do you make the decision of which parent to base the loan on? In my case it will be unfair if it is based on my Dad since he is not the one who will be supporting me
    Hi,

Will your dad be supporting you in any way, you mentioned that you live with him so he will be providing you a place to live, food ect. This would make you dependant on your Dad not your Mum. Will your Mum be giving you money on a regular basis?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Will your dad be supporting you in any way, you mentioned that you live with him so he will be providing you a place to live, food ect. This would make you dependant on your Dad not your Mum. Will your Mum be giving you money on a regular basis?

Thanks
    For the moment he is but at uni we think it's more appropriate my mum helps out, does the loan have to be based on who I am dependent on now?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    For the moment he is but at uni we think it's more appropriate my mum helps out, does the loan have to be based on who I am dependent on now?
    Hi,

It's based on who will be supporting you the most throughout your course. But if you will be living with your dad, it would be his financial details we need.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It's based on who will be supporting you the most throughout your course. But if you will be living with your dad, it would be his financial details we need.

Thanks
    Thank you,

I guess that's why I'm quite complicated since as soon as uni starts I'll be able to see both parents more equally since I won't have to be at my dad's to go to school which is the main reason I don't spend as much time at my mum's. So I'll be able to live with both of them then and I am planning then to live more with my mum
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi,

If this is the case, we would need the financial details of the parent you are most dependent on, if you will be living with your Mum more than your Dad, then we could use her financial income details.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.