Turn on thread page Beta

Rent watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen it live??

Never really listened to the soundtrack (i'm more of a 'happy' musical fan!) before but i watched the film yesterday (and have since watched it another 5 times!!)... it's BRILLIANT!

Really love the lyrics - they are amazing, fav song has got to be 'Will i?', it's so simple, yet so moving!

Sooo, any thoughts people?

-x-

ReputationRep:
    the film's ace... seen it loads, but aint seen it live

the musical's being brought back to the west end, in october 07, and will be set in modern day london, which i think will ruin it.

go to myspace.com/rentremixed

looks like it will be a flop to me!

ReputationRep:
    Argh what?

I love Rent but it only works because of the setting..
    Modern day London? They should just leave it how it is. I'll probably still go and see it though.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoyed the movie quite well...the live version will be interesting...might take a visit when it comes to London...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.londontheatrebookings.com/rent.html

ReputationRep:
    The old one out the sugababes.. yay.

ReputationRep:
    I love RENT! I was even able to see it in New York this year, it was amazing. Took me a while to pursuade my family though.

I don't think I have one favourite song but Collins is probably my favourite character.

I'm not sure about an updated version - why can't they just put the original on the west end?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously jealous of you.

I thought the guy who played Mark in the film [who was in the original cast of the Broadway version] is back doing it for a while on Broadway now. Really wanted to see that He's my favourite character

ReputationRep:
    I love rent, it's always in my cd changer. I saw it in London years ago (think it was in shaftsbury theatre then) with Joe Mcfadden as Mark and the guy who used to be lenny in Eastenders as Collins, it was amazing the new london version idea sounds like a disaster to me. The film was actually very poorly done, but still enjoyable, but if you like the film so much you'd definitely like the show as it's infinitely better.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it being set in new-London will work Was planning to go see it, but when i heard that - just doesn't sound right!!

-x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby_emmy)
    I don't think it being set in new-London will work Was planning to go see it, but when i heard that - just doesn't sound right!!

-x-
    I'm in complete agreement with you there, I really don't see the point in changing it and wonder if Jonathan Larson would let it go ahead if he were alive.

Just to add, you might like BARE, I think it has similarities in style with rent. It's just gorgeous and is due for a official recording soon.
    http://www.barethealbum.com/
    But if you can manage to get your hands on a live (albeit slightly less legal) recording (which I really reccomend as most of the original cast are not going to be on the album and Michael Arden is just an amazing performer) then give it a listen.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks for the tip! Shall have a listen if i can

Watched the film again today... yeah i *really* don't see how it's going to work! Might be interesting to listen to the soundtrack, but i'm def not paying money to see it! Don't think Jonathan Larson would be happy, they are basicially getting rid of what it's about!

-x-

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the updated 'london' version might not work, but i'm still gonna see it ASAP, who knows the next time Rent will be on in the west end after this. And for me its the music i love the most which i hope to god will not be changed, and so should still be great.

ReputationRep:
    Just read Denise Van Outen is going to be Maureen I personally don't see her playing that part well, but that might just be me not being a fan of hers!

-x-

ReputationRep:
    aparently the producers are trying to appeal to a younger audience and so are remixing the music, setting it in london to appeal to young people living in the city, and they are even selling tickets without seat numbers so it has a kind of "gig" feel to it so if ur first to the venue u sit where u want. sounds a bit odd to me but u neva know, maybe itll work?!x

ReputationRep:
    Oh i don't like the ticket thing, i spend ages on booking and reading reviews on where to sit and things!!

Then you will always get random groups of people who are really awkward and take up random seats so it's hard for everyone else to sit around them

-x-

ReputationRep:
    Would think Denise was a little old to play Maureen no? :confused:

Ive seen the movie of Rent and loved it, and i would love to go see the new one. Looking forward to seeing the updated version.

ReputationRep:
    Just read Denise Van Outen is going to be Maureen I personally don't see her playing that part well, but that might just be me not being a fan of hers!
    Really?? Thats good, I think she'll play that part well.

ReputationRep:
    There's a girl at my uni who was in the most recent professional UK rent show playing Mimi (it was in 06 and only in Manchester I think) I've never talked to her but I've seen video of her and she was amazing. Apparently she wasnt even an actor/singer before the show she just got spotted in a club by the director who heard her sing and loved her. I don't kno if its true but I also heard Adam Pascal and Antony Rapp watched one of their shows.

I heard a rumour that the only reason they brought rent back to london was because their show was so good. I love rent so much i wish they would bring back the old version of it instead of the remix. I saw the remix and it was really really bad.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I saw the Remix version and liked it but really just wanted it to be taken back to what it was. I'd still go and see it if anyone's undecided. The singing in it is amazing. Siobhan has a great voice but is wooden. Everyone around me and when we left liked it. It started off badly but it's coming along now. They've taken some of the criticism on board.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.