Windows 10 problems

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I updated from 8.1 to 10 on the last day available. Ever since I've been having problems with it being slow or not loading properly and now it takes over 2 hours to load, and then just sits there having not finished.
    None of the menus in the start menu appear except Power, File Explorer (slow to load) and my username at the top.
    The icons at the bottom right of the screen (clock, wifi strength etc) don't load.
    Chrome never opens however long it's left
    Most of the time if put into sleep mode it stays as a black screen when I try to take it back out, if that doesn't happen it's just very slow to load.
    When I first installed 10 the smart gesture stuff to scroll a page using the trackpad wouldn't work for a few days.

My laptop was quite high end and only bought in early 2015. It's an Asus N550J

All I want is to get back to the godawful UI but usable Windows 8.1. I didn't get an OS disc when I bought it. Any ideas? Even a factory reset would be better but none of the Settings or Control Panel menus are available or searchable now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    I updated from 8.1 to 10 on the last day available. Ever since I've been having problems with it being slow or not loading properly and now it takes over 2 hours to load, and then just sits there having not finished.
    None of the menus in the start menu appear except Power, File Explorer (slow to load) and my username at the top.
    The icons at the bottom right of the screen (clock, wifi strength etc) don't load.
    Chrome never opens however long it's left
    Most of the time if put into sleep mode it stays as a black screen when I try to take it back out, if that doesn't happen it's just very slow to load.
    When I first installed 10 the smart gesture stuff to scroll a page using the trackpad wouldn't work for a few days.

My laptop was quite high end and only bought in early 2015. It's an Asus N550J

All I want is to get back to the godawful UI but usable Windows 8.1. I didn't get an OS disc when I bought it. Any ideas? Even a factory reset would be better but none of the Settings or Control Panel menus are available or searchable now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i7, 8GB of RAM model right? You shouldn't be having any issues related to performance with those specs. So I'm guessing you're suffering from the temperamental upgrade problems. Windows 10 only runs smoothest when you outright install, rather than doing it from an upgrade.

First things first is to make sure you've got a copy of all your data. Don't do anything without backing up your data first.

You have a few options. If you were able to get into Windows you might still have the rollback option available. But that's not entirely likely, even if you manage to boot up.

You should be able to boot your laptop in safe mode, see if that offers better performance if you want to try the above. Safe mode may even be necessary to access your files to make a backup.

Next option (and probably easiest) is to check that you've got a product key sticker on your laptop. If so you can simply download a clean installation of Windows 8.1 or 10 and install that. Use your current product key and you'll be fine. Just make sure you install the same version for your product key. This is the method I would have used to do the Windows 10 upgrade as well.

If you don't have a sticker you can use software to grab the product key out of the registry. Again this might require safe mode.

Failing that, contact Asus and ask them to send you the recovery disk/installation software. They'll be able to provide you with the original Windows 8 installation that came with your laptop and you can simply reinstall that.

Keep in mind that any attempts to reinstall the OS will potentially result in you losing your data so make sure you back up everything you need to keep.

That's the simplified version, if you want me to walk through any steps or give more detail I can. Frankly I see no reason why you won't be able to just install a fresh copy of Windows 10 with the installation media and use your current product key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    i7, 8GB of RAM model right? You shouldn't be having any issues related to performance with those specs. So I'm guessing you're suffering from the temperamental upgrade problems. Windows 10 only runs smoothest when you outright install, rather than doing it from an upgrade.

First things first is to make sure you've got a copy of all your data. Don't do anything without backing up your data first.

You have a few options. If you were able to get into Windows you might still have the rollback option available. But that's not entirely likely, even if you manage to boot up.

You should be able to boot your laptop in safe mode, see if that offers better performance if you want to try the above. Safe mode may even be necessary to access your files to make a backup.

Next option (and probably easiest) is to check that you've got a product key sticker on your laptop. If so you can simply download a clean installation of Windows 8.1 or 10 and install that. Use your current product key and you'll be fine. Just make sure you install the same version for your product key. This is the method I would have used to do the Windows 10 upgrade as well.

If you don't have a sticker you can use software to grab the product key out of the registry. Again this might require safe mode.

Failing that, contact Asus and ask them to send you the recovery disk/installation software. They'll be able to provide you with the original Windows 8 installation that came with your laptop and you can simply reinstall that.

Keep in mind that any attempts to reinstall the OS will potentially result in you losing your data so make sure you back up everything you need to keep.

That's the simplified version, if you want me to walk through any steps or give more detail I can. Frankly I see no reason why you won't be able to just install a fresh copy of Windows 10 with the installation media and use your current product key.
    Yep, i7 8GB RAM it is. My dads new PC had it as a fresh install and it seems to be ok, I do prefer a nice start menu to the stupid touch screen nonsense 8 and 8.1 had, but I think I've lost confidence in it now.

Most data is backed up, its mainly Chrome bookmarks, the most recent batch of photos (would prefer to save these if I can) and maybe 8 music tracks but they will be on my phone or ipod anyway.

How do you boot in safe mode? From what I read online, spamming F8 doesn't work anymore?
    Pretty sure a sticker with the product key isn't on the laptop, there was something in the box that could be related, but it didn't have any notes next to it to say thats what it was.

I like the idea of contacting Asus, may give that a try.

Had been tempted to give it to PC World and tell them to fix it, maybe with a SSD upgrade, but I'm loath to pay what they would charge.

Going to try booting in safe mode, and if I can find the download link, a fresh install. Otherwise I'll contact Asus.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Yep, i7 8GB RAM it is. My dads new PC had it as a fresh install and it seems to be ok, I do prefer a nice start menu to the stupid touch screen nonsense 8 and 8.1 had, but I think I've lost confidence in it now.

Most data is backed up, its mainly Chrome bookmarks, the most recent batch of photos (would prefer to save these if I can) and maybe 8 music tracks but they will be on my phone or ipod anyway.

How do you boot in safe mode? From what I read online, spamming F8 doesn't work anymore?
    Pretty sure a sticker with the product key isn't on the laptop, there was something in the box that could be related, but it didn't have any notes next to it to say thats what it was.

I like the idea of contacting Asus, may give that a try.

Had been tempted to give it to PC World and tell them to fix it, maybe with a SSD upgrade, but I'm loath to pay what they would charge.

Going to try booting in safe mode, and if I can find the download link, a fresh install. Otherwise I'll contact Asus.

Thanks!
    Nah, don't get PC World to do it. This is pretty straightforward stuff that you could do yourself.

F8 doesn't tend to work on new laptops but it's a speed issue more than anything in most cases from what I've seen. If you don't have an SSD there might be enough time to spam F8 before the boot screen. You may even find useful options in the BIOS settings but I can't guarantee that, given how every vendor installs different stuff on their OEM laptops. Off hand I can't think of anything in the Asus BIOS that would help but that's not to say there isn't anything there.

If you're able to login (or even better if you have a lock screen) you can get into safe mode by holding shift and hitting restart. This works in the start menu or at the login screen. Troubleshooting, startup settings and enable safe mode. You'll also find options here to reset your PC and so on if you need it. Shift & Restart is super useful overall.

If that offers you better performance overall you can start looking for issues. Worth checking your task manager to see if anything is hogging the resources. If you still don't get any better performance and can't do any resetting from there then you'll have to do a manual reinstall.

If there's nothing to give you your product key then follow this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-...-product-keys/

Scroll down to the software option (below the code and sticker) and use NirSoft's software:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Download, unzip and run. That should give you your product key. Make a note of it somewhere for future reference.

Hopefully at this point you'll be able to back up any remaining files too. If not you'll probably need to hook the drive up to another computer and access them that way.

To complete a fresh install you can use the media creation tool found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Simply download the tool, burn it to a disk or USB drive and run it on startup. This may require changing the boot order of your laptop via the BIOS. I've also assumed you'll be downloading it for the same version that you want to install (Home or Professional).

I don't know how the media creation tool behaves when you run it on a computer that already has an installed version of Windows 10. You may in fact not need it and would benefit more from just resetting the computer via the startup options or system recovery and backup options found in Windows 10 settings.

Ideally you'd be able to do a fresh install with the media creation tool but that may require you actually wipe the drive completely. Which would require another computer and additional software to do properly.

When doing the fresh install you may not actually need the product way (Windows recognises that the hardware had a copy of Windows before and doesn't require you to use a product key). Worth writing it down though to be sure. If nothing else it'll let you do a fresh install anywhere.

If you wanted to revert to Windows 8 instead you'd obviously need a Windows 8 installer. That's a little trickier to find since Microsoft would prefer you to install Windows 10.

So the tl:dr of it is, Shift and Restart into safe mode, ideally check task manager to see if something is eating system resources and grab any files you don't have backed up. Grab your product key too. Use the media creation tool perform a fresh install and hopefully that solves all the issues.

ReputationRep:
    So I've been neglecting this, laptop now has a clicking noise from the HDD, gets a very hot battery and after 5-10mins of loading ends up on a bios screen asking me to set the time and date and gets stuck in an infinite loop. HDD failure? Attached an image of that bios screen.

Asus told me the product key is embedded on te HDD and motherboard, if I have to take the back off to replace the HDD anyway, would I see the product key then? In which case I could install widows 10 onto a SSD using another PC then just swap it in? Or is it not as easy as that?

Been looking at a sandisk ultra II 960GB SSD for £200.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474639772.978684.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  143.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.