Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing an internship for a small ethical clothing company that actually targets and sells goods such as hoodies and tshirts to the student market and was wanting to see what peoples attitudes towards fairtrade are for a piece i'm writing for the company blog.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts on fairtrade fashion were? Is it something you consider when buying products? Do you even know what fairtrade is? Would you want your university to be selling fairtrade? Do you mind paying extra for clothes if they're fairtrade?

Any feedback would be great because I'll be the first to admit it wasn't something I really cared or thought about before coming to work here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broony92)
    I'm currently doing an internship for a small ethical clothing company that actually targets and sells goods such as hoodies and tshirts to the student market and was wanting to see what peoples attitudes towards fairtrade are for a piece i'm writing for the company blog.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts on fairtrade fashion were? Is it something you consider when buying products? Do you even know what fairtrade is? Would you want your university to be selling fairtrade? Do you mind paying extra for clothes if they're fairtrade?

Any feedback would be great because I'll be the first to admit it wasn't something I really cared or thought about before coming to work here!
    If you're still interested, I think it's an excellent idea.
    On fairtrade products in general: I think it's a shame we've become used to products being so cheap thanks to underpaid labour, making fairtrade products seem exorbitantly priced by comparaison. That said, it's easy to talk the talk, but it's trickier to walk the walk, especially as a skint student.
    Recently I've been thinking a lot about fast fashion, I feel like it ties in nicely. I feel like higher quality, ethical clothing is something I'm definitely trying to move towards, and away from cheap, quick clothing: Being able to jump on a trend is nice, but you just know that shirt/ dress/ pair of shoes is cheap for a reason.
    Also: Seems to me that companies that care about human rights are often the same ones that care about the planet (I'm thinking https://www.indigenous.com/, for example), so I'm quite happy to invest in a product that makes me feel good about how I influence the world (in any small way)

Not a subject I know tonnes about, but definitely something i'm interested in and that i'm trying to make more a part of my life.

ReputationRep:
    If the prices weren't so far out my budget I'd happily convert my wardrobe to an ethical and fairtrade one.
    However I only get paid minimum wage and parents are slowly making me buy my own things to prepare me for uni, so I don't have spare cash to get a fairtrade sweater for £40.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate the idea but I don't have the budget to buy fairtrade items. They're usually super expensive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.