The Student Room Group

Recommended Reading

Hey does anyone have an recommend reading lists for first year biology degree?*

Its not that I'm eager to start, its just that I'm a bio nerd and bored and if I'm going to read some sciencey books they may as well be useful prep.

Check the course structure.
Original post by alleycat393
Check the course structure.

Thanks, there's really not much on the website tho!! Just says:
Life on Earth
cells, Molecules and genes
Human physiology
Fundamentals of neuroscience*

We only get our actual modules and reading list when we start so just thought if anyone knew some general good books to read that would be helpful to most undergrads, that would be great 😊*
Just enjoy your summer. There's no point in buying books either as they're all available in the library.
Reply 4
Hi, this is late but here are my suggestions. Make sure you have access to 'Genetics for Dummies', it saved me. It's easy reading and covers genetics very well. And if you are doing any zoology modules or evolutionary modules, check this book out http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERTEBRATE-LIFE-9TH-EDITION-UNIVERSITY-TEXTBOOK-BY-POUGH-JANIS-HEISER-/252579941333?hash=item3acef00bd5:g:9d8AAOSwPCVX~NUm It's easy reading and very good. However I've found journal articles are the best overall as they are the most up to date. And for dissections, use this - The dissection of vertebrates : a laboratory manual by Gerardo De Iuliis and Dino Pulerà. You'll no doubt dissect one of the animals in this. You may want to check out some Geology book regarding life on earth as there can be overlap regarding evolution at the state of the Earth, Geology books typically cover the mass extinction events, etc.
Original post by alleycat393
Just enjoy your summer. There's no point in buying books either as they're all available in the library.

Sometimes it's nice to have your own copies that you can write in, though.
Original post by SunRiseAtDawn
Hey does anyone have an recommend reading lists for first year biology degree?*

Its not that I'm eager to start, its just that I'm a bio nerd and bored and if I'm going to read some sciencey books they may as well be useful prep.

A good introductory Cell Biology book is "Cell Biology: A short course" (Bolsover et al). You can pick up an older version very cheaply on Amazon and it acts as a very good overview of most of the first year Cell Biology you're likely to cover.

For genetics in the widest sense, you can't go wrong with the Introduction to Genetic Analysis - this is quite expensive, but again, an older version is usually ok for first-year stuff so long as you do consult the latest version to see about any additions, or ask your lecturers. For Physiology, I like Berne and Levy's book, but Sherwood's 'Human Physiology, from Cells to Systems' is also excellent.

Hope these suggestions help.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending