Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is this a good response to a question asking 'why do you want to work with us?' or is it milking it?
    'I've done some research about your company and see you're a company which has very strong ethic such as...which I support, thus I would be proud to be an employee of your company.'

Is that going to far, because I want to show I want to work with them but I dont want to be seen as an ass licker lol

ReputationRep:
    Employers want workaholics not hippies.

If you want to come across as horribly incensere and saccharin then that is a great answer! Either state an honest interest in their line of work or mention something more believable: such as you being aware of their in-company progression opportunities.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Emilycunningham)
    Is this a good response to a question asking 'why do you want to work with us?' or is it milking it?
    'I've done some research about your company and see you're a company which has very strong ethic such as...which I support, thus I would be proud to be an employee of your company.'

Is that going to far, because I want to show I want to work with them but I dont want to be seen as an ass licker lol
    It's not very personal or realistic - to start with no-one uses the word 'thus' in everyday conversation, plus searching for an ethic? is that really your first priority in an employer?

So it depends on a) what the company is/does and b) the truth about why you want to work for them (beyond the salary!). It's fine to say you've researched, or looked up, better still if they have a product, if you can say you have used the product, or you support the service and think it's important. Or you can consider their business culture and see if there is something there you can pick up on, or the career opportunities (usually within the company)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilycunningham)

Is that going to far, because I want to show I want to work with them but I don't want to be seen as an ass licker lol
    It's fine OP, I've used a similar line at a recent interview of mine and they took it very positively as long as you say why their ethics match yours and you seem sincere whilst saying it

ReputationRep:
    It depends to what extent their ethics are central to their core purpose. It sounds a bit obsequious unless you can support your view with an analytical response. That said, one of the best jobs I've ever had was offered to me when, in a panel interview that had already lasted an hour, I just dropped all of the jargon and spoke from my heart.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the company, e.g. I worked in the care sector and saying you believe in/support their ethos is a very good thing, stating that you liked the progression/etc when there was little and everyone knew it would have been pointless... I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing in other sectors either, some people might choose a business based on morals, it's at least a little different and in all honesty the answer is usually 'well I applied to 10 places and you offered me the interview' so whatever you say is a bit ********ty

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.