The Student Room Group

Why do I have such bad heart palpitations?

For a few years now I've had pretty constants waves of palpitations. Though, sometimes I get one and then don't have another (that I'm aware of) for a few weeks. Other times, like today, I have them in the space of an hour. Sometimes they are fairly easy and feel like a butterfly, other times it feels like I've been punched in the chest and for 2 or 3 seconds my airways feel closed up and it feels like my heart has stopped.

I don't really think they are related to stress because I get them whether I'm stressed or relaxed (my worst one to date occured when I was just lying in bed completely content with life. It felt like my heart and throat were being squeezed). I also have only got them three or four times (that I am aware of) during sport, which apparently is unusual as the occurence is normally the other way round?

I am perfectly fit. I play loads of sport, am not overweight or anything. However, I am starting to get more and more concerned. I'm going to go to my GP at some point but I won't be able to do it for a month or so so I'm wondering if any of you can give me some insight?
Reply 1
Palpitations are horrible to experience but they are rarely anything to worry about. Stress and anxiety are usually the biggest causes but you say you get them when stressed or relaxed so it might not be that. Other causes could be dehydration, exhaustion, insomnia, excess heat, caffeine, too much sugar. Its worth getting a check up to put your mind at rest but more often than not, palpitations are a nuisance and nothing sinister :smile:
You don't have to be stressed or anxious to actually have stress-related palpitations.

I am diagnosed with GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) and I also experience panic attacks. Sometimes I will be doing something normal and I feel completely relaxed and not stressed about anything and then suddenly I get a feeling like someone has punched me in the chest and winded me, it takes me a few seconds to get my breath back. Sometimes it will go away, sometimes it will turn into a fully fledged panic attack that is very unpleasant. I have had countless ECG scans, an echocardiogram, a tilt-table test and have worn a heart monitor for twenty-four hours. Nothing is wrong with me even though when I get the palpitations it can feel like I'm going to have some kind of heart attack and die. Don't underestimate how it can make you feel.

Regardless of whether or not it's stress or something else, it's really important that you get to see a doctor because, as Spock's Socks says, peace of mind will be good to have.

Quick Reply

Latest