Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Got my 1st credit card in April, and now they ve offered to put it up from £300 to £950, which I m considering accepting assuming it won't do my credit rating too much harm? My sole reason in having one is to improve my credit rating.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's there if you need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Got my 1st credit card in April, and now they ve offered to put it up from £300 to £950, which I m considering accepting assuming it won't do my credit rating too much harm? My sole reason in having one is to improve my credit rating.
    Yes take it. It will lower your utilisation percentage which is one of the variables in a credit rating. Just don't use it, pretend it wasn't there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes. Only reason not to would be if you cant control your spending.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Pipsico)
    Yes take it. It will lower your utilisation percentage which is one of the variables in a credit rating. Just don't use it, pretend it wasn't there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is there a point when my credit utilisation would be to low? With this new rating it will be about 10%.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Yes. Only reason not to would be if you cant control your spending.
    I can certainly control my spending.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I can certainly control my spending.
    I didnt expect anything less. As you are improbing credit scoe id take the amount they are willing to lend you as a sign of their increased trust in you.

Dodnt I link you to some guides on improving credit score when you started?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have problems managing a credit account then I'd suggest always accepting a higher limit. Besides improving your credit score a higher limit may come in handy one day (buying a car? Holiday? Home repairs?)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Unless you have problems managing a credit account then I'd suggest always accepting a higher limit. Besides improving your credit score a higher limit may come in handy one day (buying a car? Holiday? Home repairs?)
    My intention is to improve it as much as possible before applying for our mortgage in two years.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    I didnt expect anything less. As you are improbing credit scoe id take the amount they are willing to lend you as a sign of their increased trust in you.

Dodnt I link you to some guides on improving credit score when you started?
    You may have, I believe apart from accepting increased limits I ve done everything possible now to improve it.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a point when my credit utilisation would be to low? With this new rating it will be about 10%.
    Low utilisation is good - i think anything below 30% is good (though don't quote me on that)

Generally the lower the better (above 0 of course) as it means that you have available credit but you don't NEED to use it. That, coupled with paying off the balance due each month works towards a favourable rating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Pipsico)
    Low utilisation is good - i think anything below 30% is good (though don't quote me on that)

Generally the lower the better (above 0 of course) as it means that you have available credit but you don't NEED to use it. That, coupled with paying off the balance due each month works towards a favourable rating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I ve always kept it above 0% Hopefully it continues to improve, I have a 4/5 noodle rating but I know each lender has different criteria.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have piss poor self control when it comes to spending there isnt really much of a downside.

ReputationRep:
    Some lenders do not like you having access to alot of available credit, however £950 is not alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Some lenders do not like you having access to alot of available credit, however £950 is not alot.
    I agree.
    Its basically because if you have access to a lot of credit it makes them riskier to lenders. I cant remember the exact details, but i was reading about it recently.
    £950 isnt a lot though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.