The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should abortions be free?

Scroll to see replies

Lol at you being obtuse. 'Funding people's mistakes', please. :colonhash:
Original post by mojojojo101
Making people pay for abortions is a horrible idea...

Hypothetical situation; women in poverty gets pregnant, cant afford an abortion so must resort to a) having a backstreet abortion b) having the child put in care, stressing and already overstretched system or c) keep a baby she doesnt want and spends her whole life resenting.

Hi I agree with your post, as a teenage girl 25 years ago i had an abortion under a general I was about 13weeks and believe me I couldn't have paid for it , I found I was pregnant 4 weeks after my mum had died and one week before my dad threw me out (he never knew I was pregnant he had some sort of mental breakdown and didn't want to know me because I reminded him of my mum) at the time I had no way of supporting myself and was sleeping on friends sofas. My boyfriend was useless and didn't want to know I never saw him again thankfully, I went for an abortion on the nhs of which I'm grateful the service was free and available because I didn't have the means to pay for the procedure and if it hadn't been available to me at that time I dread to think what would have happened to me. (Whilst I'm still so grateful for it being free on the nhs I have to comment that. I was still very judged by the staff who dealt with me a that time the consultant said" don't ever let me see you here again"etc I was just another pregnant teenage girl that had slept around and using abortion as contraception in his eyes . I've since had two beautiful girls who know I had an abortion and don't judge me because they know the background ,one is a medical student herself and would be horrified if any part of the nhs would charge for procedures such as this and others . I regret being in that situation but I don't regret having an abortion it's saved my life at that time and should be freely available .
Original post by Artemis_
I think it depends on the reason.

First of all, abortions should be free to students for obvious reasons. Having a baby during your studies will seriously affect your education in a negative way.
I think abortions should be free if the pregnant woman was raped. She has suffered through a great ordeal, and she shouldn't have to pay to have the child aborted, especially if she lacks the money.

I guess failed contraception would be a cause for a free abortion. However, I guess it would be tricky to prove that your contraception genuinely failed and that you weren't just irresponsible.

These are my opinions.

And yet proving rape would be easy 🙄 No, not gonna have any accusations of women crying rape to get free abortions. Because society has been so quick to believe survivor said thus far.

And lest we interrupt the education of the mighty student! Why are non students irresponsible but student can have empathy and free abortions? Providing you're old enough to consent, I don't see why having a student card should really afford you any provisions the rest of the population are not given.

In case it's not clear - my view is abortions should remain free and legal to all.
(edited 7 years ago)
It shouldn't be legal, let alone free.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Contraception - multiple types at the same time, even - can be used yet pregnancy can still occur; it's not just people being lazy. Even then, people can make mistakes; how would, say, a student be able to afford an abortion or raise a child?

And what about cases of rape? You could say abortions could be free when there's a convicted rapist, but not all sexual assault is reported, not everything leads to a conviction, and a trial could run on long enough that an abortion wouldn't be viable, and only the richest (who, incidentally, would be the most financially equipped to raise a child) would be able to afford the abortion.

If the NHS is strained, it needs more funding. The solution isn't to harm both the victims of sexual assault and anyone who isn't rich enough to afford an abortion.

I agree.
It depends on the circumstances. I believe that it should be free if: the woman is in physical danger, or the woman was forcibly impregnated. Although I agree that a woman should feel free to abort under any circumstances that they see fit (applying appropriate time restrictions), I don't think it should be unequivocally free.
Original post by Tiger Rag
You don't know the reason for the abortion. It would cost far more to put the child into care, etc.

I guess that justifies killing it for free! Logic not your forte, is it?

*Damn, can anyone help me understand this person, this evil criminality? is there any other way of explaining the way this person thinks?
That is by far not the only reason that women have abortions. Besides, condoms aren't fail-safe either.

Latest

Trending

Trending