Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which is better for a first car and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freiheit)
    What do you mean by an approved car?

Personally I would always go for a second hand car, much cheaper and if you do some decent hunting you can find some great deals!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)

Personally I would always go for a second hand car, much cheaper and if you do some decent hunting you can find some great deals!
    Thanks for your reply. This is an example of what I mean by approved:
    http://m.ford.co.uk/Approved-used-cars/Cars
    They usually come with a warranty and are inspected beforehand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)

Approved cars are generally 2nd hand cars that a main dealer had put through a manufacturer's inspection, testing and refurbishing (where it is required) before being put on sale. These cars generally could be ex-manufacturer pool cars, lease return cars and some could also be an ex-demonstrator car. They may sometimes come with a manufacturer warranty top-up and some could also be leased or bought through the manufacturer financing options.

Won't necessarily cost more than a 2nd hand car of similar age or specification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Approved cars are generally 2nd hand cars that a main dealer had put through a manufacturer's inspection, testing and refurbishing (where it is required) before being put on sale. These cars generally could be ex-manufacturer pool cars, lease return cars and some could also be an ex-demonstrator car. They may sometimes come with a manufacturer warranty top-up and some could also be leased or bought through the manufacturer financing options.

Won't necessarily cost more than a 2nd hand car of similar age or specification.
    Have you had an experience of one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Second hand by far.

Short answer is, just know what to look for. The "approved" cars don't really offer much more, and the second hand ones are cheaper.

Just keep your eye out for anything which would let you think the car might be a lemon! :P

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have had 3 such cars that I bought through an approved used car program in England.

1st:- Land Rover Defender, it was driven 5000 miles as it was an ex-events car that Land Rover was a sponsor to. It was spotless and the only thing was if you stared hard at the doors you could see an outline of the sticker that was once stuck on it.

2nd:- Jaguar F-Type, this one was 11 months old, but only done 3000 miles, it was an ex-press car. This one had absolutely every single option on it and added a significant amount of money to the car. It exchanged hands essentially for slightly less than the price of the car minus the options, which is an absolute bargain. They gave it a good valet and new tyres, car was as good as new. Not had any issues with it, a bit more than I should have paid for it but am happy with it.

3rd:- This one we bought it a month ago, it is a 6 month old Volvo XC90, I could have bought this car as is from the dealer or through a Volvo Selekt program. The main difference was essentially we were paying for the servicing plan which I was happy to do so since it isn't exactly cheap to service a Volvo at a main dealer.

ReputationRep:
    Well, If you are going to buy a car which's less than 3 years old then get an "Approved Pre-Owned car". Remember, depreciation kicks in real hard for first 3 years, the car would lose upwards of 45 percent in appraisal value, or what's the value of that particular car at the moment. Buying a car which's less than 3 years old is a great choice, you don't loose any more of your's investment to depreciation, plus the added benefits like warranty, free insurance for a year, roadside assistance and so on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 2, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.