Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i received my provisional licence today, and as far as i know that doesnt mean i can drive a car yet. But my dad says i can as long as he sits next to me. Is this true.
    thanks?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ali.R99)
    So i received my provisional licence today, and as far as i know that doesnt mean i can drive a car yet. But my dad says i can as long as he sits next to me. Is this true.
    thanks?
    If you're severely disabled then you can drive at 16. Otherwise, you need to wait until you're 17.

You can ride a moped if you complete a CBT

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for your provisional licence when you're 16, but it won't be valid until you turn 17.

Exceptions to this are some people with disabilities, and I know Isle of Man residents can drive at 16, not sure about the other isles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali.R99)
    thanks?
    Look at the back of the photocard. Category B (cars, in case the picture didn't give it away) should have a date on it - probably your 17th birthday. If you drive before this date you will be driving outside the validity of your provisional licence, regardless of whether you're accompanied. You'll also technically be uninsured. I have heard that the police take a dim view of this, so if you do decide to drive, make sure you don't get stopped.

Reference: for the licence, it's a fine of <£1000, 3-6 points and possible disqualification. For insurance, 6-8 points and unlimited fine (again, possible disqualification).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SosbanFach)
    Look at the back of the photocard. Category B (cars, in case the picture didn't give it away) should have a date on it - probably your 17th birthday. If you drive before this date you will be driving outside the validity of your provisional licence, regardless of whether you're accompanied. You'll also technically be uninsured. I have heard that the police take a dim view of this, so if you do decide to drive, make sure you don't get stopped.

Reference: for the licence, it's a fine of <£1000, 3-6 points and possible disqualification. For insurance, 6-8 points and unlimited fine (again, possible disqualification).
    Not to mention, if you get a bobby in a bad mood, he'll seize the car and have it crushed!

Remember, you need your OWN learner driver insurance. You can't just drive with your dad in the car and hope that his insurance will cover it - his policy will almost surely state that it's only valid for other drivers that hold a full valid driving licence*

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.