Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've been living at home all my life but I've landed a job in the centre of Leeds and need advice. Leeds is quite far from where I am so it's necessary for me to move out. I'll be at home during August and September each year. I'll be getting paid just over £1000 every month after tax. What would be the best way for me to go about getting a place to rent and what is an average price for one? I'm about to turn 19 if that is relevant. I'm quite clueless when it comes to this as you'd expect and any kind of advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Dreamville_)
    So I've been living at home all my life but I've landed a job in the centre of Leeds and need advice. Leeds is quite far from where I am so it's necessary for me to move out. I'll be at home during August and September each year. I'll be getting paid just over £1000 every month after tax. What would be the best way for me to go about getting a place to rent and what is an average price for one? I'm about to turn 19 if that is relevant. I'm quite clueless when it comes to this as you'd expect and any kind of advice would be appreciated!
    Rent for a 1 bed flat could be £350+ depending on the area (obviously). I wouldn't live in the centre personally just because its more expensive, busy and full of students so I'd move a little out of the centre if you're prepared to travel a little bit. There's good bus routes and things that run all the time so you wont be stuck.

Source: I live in Leeds! If you have any questions I might be able to help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Dreamville_)
    If you've landed a job in Leeds why will you be back at home during August and September each year? Is your job only for ten months of the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amingo26)
    Rent for a 1 bed flat could be £350+ depending on the area (obviously). I wouldn't live in the centre personally just because its more expensive, busy and full of students so I'd move a little out of the centre if you're prepared to travel a little bit. There's good bus routes and things that run all the time so you wont be stuck.

Source: I live in Leeds! If you have any questions I might be able to help!
    I've had a quick look at Right move and Spare room and the prices seem to be around 400 ish in the centre. I ideally don't want to travel over half an hour, is it a lot more expensive? I wouldn't really want to pay more than 450ish including bills.

Things like broadband, am I always expected to set that up or do some places already have it included in the price? Things like bills for electricity and water make me lean towards looking for a flat share.

(Original post by markova21)
    If you've landed a job in Leeds why will you be back at home during August and September each year? Is your job only for ten months of the year?
    I put 'back at home' because I was too lazy to explain what I'm actually doing but since you asked..

During them two months I'll be at university, I'm doing a school leaver programme.

ReputationRep:
    a flat share will be much cheaper so I would consider one... if possible something inclusive is better as you know what you'll be paying each month but in some places they're just not available, when choosing a flat bear in mind all the other costs you will have i.e. council tax (if you're eligible), electricity, water, gas, TV, internet, phone, transport costs and factor those in when deciding if you can afford it

bear in mind you might need to save a decent chunk for moving costs, deposit, fees, physically moving

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.