Turn on thread page Beta

Networking with MD in IB? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    im interning at Lehman brothers this summer, and i am in Product control (can someone tell me which office its categorised as? as some say back some say middle?) and i have access to all the employees details. i was thinking of making use of it and contact an MD in M&A and maybe some other FO positions.

the thing is, how would i go about it? i mean how would email an MD and ask for them to have a little chat, and i know it sounds a little naive, what should i start talking about? basically i have access to each department on the Intranet so i can look at current news on deals etc.

i know that M&A has the worst hours, but surely its not that bad is it :p:

also has anyone dared to contact an MD just for a chat? i though they were generally pretty busy lol!

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    iv contacted an MD and been in touch since my spring programme. just make sure they appear approachable and give it a try...why not. they are just human beings afterall.

ReputationRep:
    Can you get in contact with an analyst? Do you have any friends doing FO internships or graduate programs? I think it would be less annoying if you had lunch with a friend and his/her MD, something like that, and then follow up. But that's just my view, I'm not the authority on this.

ReputationRep:
    nah i dont know anyone in FO at Lehman, i was just going to have a little chat, just explain that that im an intern interested in your department, then in the conversation talk about a recent deal they did. but i see your point about the friend and MD. sometimes i'd like to just talk to people in the life lol its always so quiet lol!

ReputationRep:
    1. Product Control is back office

2. M+A hours are bad, very bad. Think 90-110 hours a week. If things are good, you work every day 8-12, get saturday off and work sunday when your boss comes back from sourcing a deal - if you're lucky.

3. MD's are busy people - what makes you think he would want sit down and 'have a chat' with you - intern who is in the back office - about his deals? Bankers are humans, but are extremely busy people who have a lot of **** on their mind - the conversation will last no more than 15 seconds - that is if he doesn't pass you off to his PA - which is the most likely scenario

4. If you use details at work in poor form like the way you're suggesting, I am pretty sure you will be fired - certainly if that data is only privy to you and no one else by virtue of your job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rboogie)
    1. Product Control is back office

2. M+A hours are bad, very bad. Think 90-110 hours a week. If things are good, you work every day 8-12, get saturday off and work sunday when your boss comes back from sourcing a deal - if you're lucky.

3. MD's are busy people - what makes you think he would want sit down and 'have a chat' with you - intern who is in the back office - about his deals? Bankers are humans, but are extremely busy people who have a lot of **** on their mind - the conversation will last no more than 15 seconds - that is if he doesn't pass you off to his PA - which is the most likely scenario

4. If you use details at work in poor form like the way you're suggesting, I am pretty sure you will be fired - certainly if that data is only privy to you and no one else by virtue of your job.
    Um which bank are you at? because you seem to have the proper stereotype, unless that is typical? i mean surely they are more friendlier than you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Shrestha)
    Um which bank are you at? because you seem to have the proper stereotype, unless that is typical? i mean surely they are more friendlier than you say?

Look, most bankers are *******s - myself included - We work long hours and do work that is really easy for money - the stress is high and we get annoyed - of the 10 or so bankers in M+A I know directly or indirectly, maybe 2 are happy - the rest are losing their hair, smoke a lot more than they should, have lost all semblance of humour, and have zero personal life.

Now you tell me why any MD (you realize how long an MD has been in the game) is going to chat with a back office intern. I guarantee you the MD's at my work have no idea what the FO intern names are, let alone anyone else. They have no time for their wives, or kids, or friends or family, yet you think they'll be 'friendly' and make time for a back office intern. It's not a stereotype, it's just the nature of the game. You may get lucky with an MD who's content, but in M+A, that's highly unlikely.

Also, you're not going to be qualified enough to work in M+A anyway and considering there are seats empty at most M+A desks, they'd rather leave it empty than hire someone who is not up to snuff.

Anyway, if logic befools you, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Look, most bankers are *******s - myself included - We work long hours and do work that is really easy for money - the stress is high and we get annoyed - of the 10 or so bankers in M+A I know directly or indirectly, maybe 2 are happy - the rest are losing their hair, smoke a lot more than they should, have lost all semblance of humour, and have zero personal life.

Now you tell me why any MD (you realize how long an MD has been in the game) is going to chat with a back office intern. I guarantee you the MD's at my work have no idea what the FO intern names are, let alone anyone else. They have no time for their wives, or kids, or friends or family, yet you think they'll be 'friendly' and make time for a back office intern. It's not a stereotype, it's just the nature of the game. You may get lucky with an MD who's content, but in M+A, that's highly unlikely.

Also, you're not going to be qualified enough to work in M+A anyway and considering there are seats empty at most M+A desks, they'd rather leave it empty than hire someone who is not up to snuff.
    also just wondering how come peopel are pretty reluctant to mention their desk?

Anyway, if logic befools you, go for it.
    why not, i can try and get an internship in the second year right? hmmm i think i will have to ask HR then, because having met one MD (although part time haha) she was really nice and been in the business 25 years!
    just wondeirng whats your work/academics background? you in trading?

ReputationRep:
    If you use details at work in poor form like the way you're suggesting, I am pretty sure you will be fired
    yeah I thought it was very poor practice to use details like this? Isn't it a breach of DPA or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Shrestha)
    Hey guys,
    im interning at Lehman brothers this summer, and i am in Product control (can someone tell me which office its categorised as? as some say back some say middle?) and i have access to all the employees details. i was thinking of making use of it and contact an MD in M&A and maybe some other FO positions.

the thing is, how would i go about it? i mean how would email an MD and ask for them to have a little chat, and i know it sounds a little naive, what should i start talking about? basically i have access to each department on the Intranet so i can look at current news on deals etc.

i know that M&A has the worst hours, but surely its not that bad is it :p:

also has anyone dared to contact an MD just for a chat? i though they were generally pretty busy lol!

thanks!
    Your aware that snooping around without reason (of work) can cause problems?

ReputationRep:
    Never worked with Lehman, but I've fired people (proper employees as opposed to interns) for a security breach like that.

ReputationRep:
    ah for real? sounds pretty serious, especially if im bothering the people who are pretty high up! i think i will give it a miss then haha worth a try though right? seems liek Shady had the best advice, btu i dont know anyone in FO, maybe i will in 2nd year

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the MDs are like in IBD, but on the trading floor they're just as approachable as anyone else. Actually just had a 30minute chat with a global head today. Wow, what a lowly intern is capable of...MDs aren't gods - if you approach them in an appropriate manner - showing respect, not sucking up - and at the right time, then most of them will be pretty constructive. If not then bribe them with coffee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by szeles)
    I don't know what the MDs are like in IBD, but on the trading floor they're just as approachable as anyone else. Actually just had a 30minute chat with a global head today. Wow, what a lowly intern is capable of...MDs aren't gods - if you approach them in an appropriate manner - showing respect, not sucking up - and at the right time, then most of them will be pretty constructive. If not then bribe them with coffee.

DO you work with the MD? That is a bit different than not working with him - and traders are very different from M+A.

HOw did you talk to him for 30 minutes? He just let the screens go by for that long or was it a slow period during the day?

ReputationRep:
    lol, by all means dont contact the M&A MD unless you bump into him. You better off contacting an analyst or an associate. Sure, you can contact your MD who is on your department but contacting someone who is that senior in another department, which you dont work in (specially when you are in BO) is no good my friend. Specially when you are a lousy intern. Thats attempted networking at extreme...dont do it.

ReputationRep:
    DO you work with the MD? That is a bit different than not working with him - and traders are very different from M+A.

HOw did you talk to him for 30 minutes? He just let the screens go by for that long or was it a slow period during the day?
    Szeles is right. I've had the same experience with several MDs on various desks at various firms - I wasn't working directly with them either. Markets, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jan)
    Szeles is right. I've had the same experience with several MDs on various desks at various firms - I wasn't working directly with them either. Markets, of course.

If you work with them, that is one thing, but to not and cold-call is very different. An FO intern with another MD makes sense - but what the OP is suggesting is a bad idea.

Further, a 30 min convo with a trader seems highly unlikely given the nature of the job - a trader won't even take 30 minutes for lunch.

Also, there is a big difference b/w an intern actually being interested in a field (which seniors love) and an intern just kissing ass and trying to get a job. If there's one thing that bankers are good at, it is telling the difference.

ReputationRep:
    If you work with them, that is one thing, but to not and cold-call is very different. An FO intern with another MD makes sense - but what the OP is suggesting is a bad idea.

Further, a 30 min convo with a trader seems highly unlikely given the nature of the job - a trader won't even take 30 minutes for lunch.

Also, there is a big difference b/w an intern actually being interested in a field (which seniors love) and an intern just kissing ass and trying to get a job. If there's one thing that bankers are good at, it is telling the difference.
    Yep i agree, I was invited to BarCap trading floor in Canary Wharf, and i had numerous conversations with traders, but all while sitting next to them and theyr like taking calls and doing stuff on their 50 screens while chatting and all shouting about the ashes. It's a very tense, but relaxed atmosphere if you get my drift. But can traders really help you to land a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T_Bag)
    Yep i agree, I was invited to BarCap trading floor in Canary Wharf, and i had numerous conversations with traders, but all while sitting next to them and theyr like taking calls and doing stuff on their 50 screens while chatting and all shouting about the ashes. It's a very tense, but relaxed atmosphere if you get my drift. But can traders really help you to land a job?
    Having a convo while someone is working is different from taking 30 minutes out from off the desk to chat.

I can chat with a trader all day - but his eyes are still on the screen. It's like chatting to a poker player while he's playing - he' s chatting but still playing - but it's very rare he actually leaves the table.

No one can land you a job - we have the power to get you an interview - but remember, if you're crap - it looks bad on us. I have friends all the time who ask me to get them an interview but I decline b/c I just don't think they're all that good - and if you bring someone in and he's shiit, then it looks badly on you, unless you're an MD's kid or a client's kid in which case it doesn't matter whether the kid is a moron or not.

ReputationRep:
    Having a convo while someone is working is different from taking 30 minutes out from off the desk to chat.

I can chat with a trader all day - but his eyes are still on the screen. It's like chatting to a poker player while he's playing - he' s chatting but still playing - but it's very rare he actually leaves the table.

No one can land you a job - we have the power to get you an interview - but remember, if you're crap - it looks bad on us. I have friends all the time who ask me to get them an interview but I decline b/c I just don't think they're all that good - and if you bring someone in and he's shiit, then it looks badly on you, unless you're an MD's kid or a client's kid in which case it doesn't matter whether the kid is a moron or not.
    Haha really? ...im sure everyone will suck up to them anyway because of their daddy.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.