Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what the difference is between the two courses,in terms of the contents,texts studied and syllabus.
    For example:What do you learn in the A Level course,that you don't learn in the IB?

ReputationRep:
    I think for the A Level, you learn fewer texts, most or all of which have been originally written in English. In HL IB you have a chance to do a wider range of texts, including texts that have been translated from other languages. I think you study more texts in IB. In the IB there is also an aural assessment. It would probably be a good idea to look up both syllabuses online and contact your teachers or find your school/s prospectus or website to see if you can find out which exactly texts you are studying.
    I wish I could tell you more, but I don't do either- I just know lots of people who have done English Literature A Level/IB (I do English Literature Pre-U).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loletta)
    I think for the A Level, you learn fewer texts, most or all of which have been originally written in English. In HL IB you have a chance to do a wider range of texts, including texts that have been translated from other languages. I think you study more texts in IB. In the IB there is also an aural assessment. It would probably be a good idea to look up both syllabuses online and contact your teachers or find your school/s prospectus or website to see if you can find out which exactly texts you are studying.
    I wish I could tell you more, but I don't do either- I just know lots of people who have done English Literature A Level/IB (I do English Literature Pre-U).
    And how does English Literature Pre-U differ from the rest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Upseedasy)
    And how does English Literature Pre-U differ from the rest?
    The Pre-U syllabus is supposed to be something like a bridge between school and university, so it is slightly harder than A Level. It's the same level of qualification (sixth form), but the grading system is different. The highest grade is D1, which is more than an A*, the other grades are roughly similar to A Level grades. It's a linear course taken over 2 years, so there's no AS.

I think the difference between Pre-U and A Level isn't particularly big for English, in comparison to the IB course.

In Pre-U you study 4 texts for the exam (2 plays, 1 set of poems, 1 novel), have an unseen paper and do coursework. The coursework in known as a Personal Investigation and you get to decide the question, texts and theme- although you will probably study texts for the coursework in class and add some of your own. So I think there's more freedom in terms of the coursework. I think you also study more about different periods of literature due to the fact the unseens cover a large period of time.

Are you studying for a qualification independently? Or are you studying it at a school?

ReputationRep:
    The Pre-U syllabus is supposed to be something like a bridge between school and university, so it is slightly harder than A Level. It's the same level of qualification (sixth form), but the grading system is different. The highest grade is D1, which is more than an A*, the other grades are roughly similar to A Level grades. It's a linear course taken over 2 years, so there's no AS.

I think the difference between Pre-U and A Level isn't particularly big for English, in comparison to the IB course.

In Pre-U you study 4 texts for the exam (2 plays, 1 set of poems, 1 novel), have an unseen paper and do coursework. The coursework in known as a Personal Investigation and you get to decide the question, texts and theme- although you will probably study texts for the coursework in class and add some of your own. So I think there's more freedom in terms of the coursework. I think you also study more about different periods of literature due to the fact the unseens cover a large period of time.

Are you studying for a qualification independently? Or are you studying it at a school?
    I just ended my penultimate secondary education year and entering my finial one,so I'm contemplating on my tertiary education choices.
    Undecided whether to do the IB or A-Levels. Unfortunately,Pre-U schools are even further out where I live or exclusive to independent schools.
    What made you choose Pre-U(s) over the aforementioned courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Upseedasy)
    I just ended my penultimate secondary education year and entering my finial one,so I'm contemplating on my tertiary education choices.
    Undecided whether to do the IB or A-Levels. Unfortunately,Pre-U schools are even further out where I live or exclusive to independent schools.
    What made you choose Pre-U(s) over the aforementioned courses.
    I liked the fact I could learn about different periods of literary history in the Pre-U as well as the freedom of the personal investigation, but to be honest, the real reason I took Pre-U is because the sixth form I got into doesn't do the A Level for English as they do the Pre-U instead.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the fact I could learn about different periods of literary history in the Pre-U as well as the freedom of the personal investigation, but to be honest, the real reason I took Pre-U is because the sixth form I got into doesn't do the A Level for English as they do the Pre-U instead.
    What texts do you study?
    And are they more challenging?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.