Sophie mac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Should I take English lit, philosophy or sociology facts or personal opinions would be much appreciated
AlexS101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What other subjects are you thinking of taking?
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I haven't studied any of those myself, however I know that English Literature is a facilitating subject, and is generally the most highly respected out of those. What other subjects are you considering?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think you should take English Literature
PHD2027
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what do you want to do at uni? and at what uni?
Platopus
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sophie mac)
Should I take English lit, philosophy or sociology facts or personal opinions would be much appreciated
I did English lit and philosophy. Both are fun to study and viewed as facilitating subjects by universities. I don't know if sociology is, though.

Philosophy was far and away my hardest subject, but also the most interesting.

When you say "philosophy", do you mean philosophy & ethics or straight philosophy? AQA is the only exam board which offers a straight philosophy A-level; all others only offer a variation on philosophy & ethics which is less difficult.

Tips for both English lit & philosophy: learn to structure an essay properly and write concisely.

For English lit, you'll want to memorise key quotations and for philosophy, it helps to read around the subject and get to know your primary texts.
Sophie mac
Rep:
?
(Original post by PHD2027)
what do you want to do at uni? and at what uni?
Psychology and Durham university is one option
Sophie mac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Platopus)
I did English lit and philosophy. Both are fun to study and viewed as facilitating subjects by universities. I don't know if sociology is, though.

When you say "philosophy", do you mean philosophy & ethics or straight philosophy? AQA is the only exam board which offers a straight philosophy A-level; all others only offer a variation on philosophy & ethics which is less difficult.

Tips for both English lit & philosophy: learn to structure an essay properly and write concisely.

For English lit, you'll want to memorise key quotations and for philosophy, it helps to read around the subject and get to know your primary texts.
My school only offers philosophy it didn't say anything about philosophy and ethics
Sophie mac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Platopus)

Is it easy to get a good grade at the end of philosophy though
Platopus
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sophie mac)
Is it easy to get a good grade at the end of philosophy though
Many schools abbreviate "philosophy and ethics" to "philosophy". You need to check what exam board you would be studying. If it is anything other than AQA, it will not be straight philosophy.

I can't find the statistics now, but the percentage of students studying philosophy who achieve A*s and As is considerably lower than for the majority of other subjects, including STEM ones. In my school, a lot of my class gave up within weeks of starting AS and I was the only person to get an A at AS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?