Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Achieving a Commendation on the Accelerated LPC whilst working part-time Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I have recently secured a TC and one of the conditions is that I achieve a commendation on the LPC. However, I won't be able to live on the maintenance loan given, which I do appreciate is generous, so will have to work weekends most probably in a bar to survive.

For those of you who have done the fast-tracked LPC, is working part-time possible? How difficult is it to actually get a commendation?

Also, if anyone has any generic LPC advice that would be appreciated! It's a while away for me but I want to be fully up to speed before I accept my offer.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The best advice I can give about the LPC is to stress how important time management is.You don't anywhere near the amount of time to consolidate revision for exams compared to undergrad, so you need to be reviewing your notes as you go along.If you think you'll struggle for money, then personally I would start saving any spare money now so that you have a nice pot ready for when you start the LPC. It probably is possible to work whilst doing it accelerated, but adding the fact that you need a commendation and a TC is riding on it sounds like it could be a lot of pressure.

ReputationRep:
    If you're organised throughout the course, you should be absolutely fine. One thing with the accelerated LPC is that falling a week or two behind with reading/notes can be very very hard to claw back from. Find yourself a good set of legacy notes and you'll be fine though.

In my opinion, knowing that you need a *certain grade will be the stressful part - not actually achieving that grade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    Hey everyone,

I have recently secured a TC and one of the conditions is that I achieve a commendation on the LPC. However, I won't be able to live on the maintenance loan given, which I do appreciate is generous, so will have to work weekends most probably in a bar to survive.

For those of you who have done the fast-tracked LPC, is working part-time possible? How difficult is it to actually get a commendation?

Also, if anyone has any generic LPC advice that would be appreciated! It's a while away for me but I want to be fully up to speed before I accept my offer.

Thanks
    Some firms that require the accelerated LPC forbid their trainees from taking on part time work. Don't know where you're off to but it's best that you check!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.