Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok this is my first thread so here goes lol...

AQA GCSE ICT:
    every person doin that exam in our exam hall finished it in max. 45 mins... we had the same problem in the mocks n in the 4th year exams (yr 10)...

now why do AQA waste lyk an hour extra on pointless exams lyk this n not allow for extra time in say the history exams...:confused: personally id love to hav an extra hour on that cauz the cramp u experience in ur hand after doin it just can't b described...

who reckons that AQA should give ppl the option to leave the exam once theyr done? i still reckon ppl should b allowed the full time limit if they want to... but bein honest id ratha go home n revise for the next exam...

ReputationRep:
    Errm. Because exam boards are mean.

Out of interest... are you really predicted 10 A*s? I'm not trying to imply anything of course.

ReputationRep:
    Because not everyone will finish it fast, like you. Others will struggle, including people who write slowly, are dyslexic but don't get extra time etc.

I think you'd rather that you get way too much time than be writing right down til the last minute, no?

And no, I don't think you should be able to leave your exam when YOU'RE finished, and its not allowed anyway. Others will still be doing the exam and you could communicate with them and give them answers.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should be allowed either because it would disrupt others who are in the exam room when people gets up and leave. Also this would allow you to have no excuse and blame how you did on your exam on the fact that you possibly remembered something in that time but you have left the room because you thought you have finished or anything similar like that.

I agree that it would almost certainly disrupt the other candidates, especially in centres where multiple exams are sat in the same room, and these of course will all be of different lengths. It's disrupting enough when you sit a 2.5 hour exam and you have students sitting modules leaving after an hour, then other students leaving after 1 hour 15 minutes, 1.5 hours and so on. And at least with that situation, all of the candidates of each separate exam are required to leave together, which minimises the disruption as much as possible. If students could leave whenever, then you could have the modular candidates potentially leaving after say, 20 minutes, and then everyone else leaving after any period up to 2.5 hours or the maximum exam time.

Plus it's pretty off-putting to be one of the only people left still working; I remember end of unit tests in class where the timings we were given were often quite off (i.e. an hour for a test which took 20 minutes etc), so we just adopted a "once everyone's finished we'll mark them" approach. This always seemed to put people who worked slightly slower under unnecessary pressure, because essentially they were the only ones left working and everyone was waiting for them. While the other candidates wouldn't be waiting in an exam situation, it still is embarrassing to be one of the last people working, and it some people jeopardise the quality of their answers by rushing so as not to be one of them.

It also would be pretty hard to monitor, especially with regards to cheating. A candidate could leave a 50 minute exam after 15 minutes, and another late candidate could be told some of the questions by them before turning up to the exam. Nope, it's too risky and disruptive in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it I don't believe this guy is predicted 10A*s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaisheeHusa)
    Why is it I don't believe this guy is predicted 10A*s
    Why do you find it so hard to believe? I already have 1 A* and was predicted 9 A* this year, so I don't see why you think a person can't be predicted that many A*s. And there are lots of people on here who are predicted more than 10. And anyway, they might not get his predicted grades; I know for a fact I won't.

(Original post by girl_in_black)
    Why do you find it so hard to believe? I already have 1 A* and was predicted 9 A* this year, so I don't see why you think a person can't be predicted that many A*s. And there are lots of people on here who are predicted more than 10. And anyway, they might not get his predicted grades; I know for a fact I won't.
    It's more likely because he types like a complete idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I think she just wanted an opportunity to mention her A*age.

ReputationRep:
    lol... i am actually predicted 10*s might be hard to believe but its quite normal in my school actually ...

o yeh n i already av an IGCSE maths - A*... so i guess thats 11 if i make it lol...

yeh n about the writin... its post-msn syndrome lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    It's more likely because he types like a complete idiot.
    Typing like that doesn't make one dumb.

Anyways, it's more than possible for someone to be predicted 10A*s or more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PRiiNCESS.FAiiZA)
    Typing like that doesn't make one dumb.
    It's just the way he types that gives people the impression that he's not so intelligent. Let's face it, you need to be quite clever to get 10/11 A*s, and typing the way he does doesn't imply he is so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shakirac)
    It's just the way he types that gives people the impression that he's not so intelligent. Let's face it, you need to be quite clever to get 10/11 A*s, and typing the way he does doesn't imply he is so.
    OK fair enough, people may assume he is dumb because he types like that, but I bet most people on TSR type like that on msn etc., but the only reason they're typing full on TSR is because many people critisize. I mean I type like that on msn etc., but I don't on TSR, because like I said so many people critisize.

So many clever people type like that, doesn't make them dumb though. Maybe they can't be bothered. Personally, I'm just used to typing slang. But I think he should at least type properly on TSR, so I guess you're right, especially since people tend to not reply to threads which they can't read properly lol.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, i don't think it takes that much longer to just type words out properly and i don't think it matters what this guy is predicted at GCSE, he can be predicted 30 A*s for all i care. People do finish exams early all the time, maths is the main one where you finish early and sit around bored or music for that matter. If he's predicted 10A*s, then good for him. Personally whenever someone types like that though, it's hard for them to adjust to spelling properly in the real exam. That's from personal experience; it took me quite a while to stop talking junk after using it for a long time on MSN as i found out in my English mock when the word 'lol' actually cropped up in my writing about 3 or 4 times. Back on topic though, as people as have already mentioned, it's far too disruptive to leave early and the rest of the country (being external exams) are still sitting the paper so you can't just leave for that reason as well. It'll be interesting to see what he scores for English language at any rate :P

ReputationRep:
    Although typing like that does make reading harder, in my opinion. After all, most people can do around 150WPM, typing that extra letter here and there hardly makes a difference

ReputationRep:
    I got let out of my statistics exam early. It was 2 hours and a half! I don't think anyone was particularly disrupted. People finished like after an hour or so and there were only about 60 people and I don't think that we should have to wait for the whole 2 hours and a half when we finished like 1 hour early. Well that's just my opinion.

Obviously if the whole school was doing the exam and you had finished early then yeah, you should wait until everyone has finished.

ReputationRep:
    While I don't doubt one can be predicted 10 A*s (I'm predicted 9), I doubt that the OP here has been predicted A*s in English Language and Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deipnosophist123)
    While I don't doubt one can be predicted 10 A*s (I'm predicted 9), I doubt that the OP here has been predicted A*s in English Language and Literature.

You'd be surprised how many people are predicted A*s in English Lang/Lit and type like that on websites and msn and actually achieve those A*s.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i agree with princess faiza up there...

and if its any consolation to you people i'll type in full lol. there i did it... as long as it gets that guy who thinks im dumb off my back... lolz..

ReputationRep:
    We had the exact same problem in our AQA ICT exam...:rolleyes: It would disturb others if we left i guess...

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.