Frowned Upon? Watch

Pink_Diamond
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ok basically it is looking likely i am going to be subject to a full trial, being chraged with a driving offence (pleading not guilty) with the possiblity of being arrested (althoguht atm have not yet been cautioned or arrested but given court date) and so i was basically wondering would this affect and if so how my future Law career, and would future legal employers frown upon it, and would it go against me as a candidate?
Stick Man
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think I read somewhere that if you get a criminal record you will be unable to qualify as a solicitor. Check on that though.
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would guess it might depend on how serious a conviction... causing death by dangerous driving might be a bit hard to explain away.
Pink_Diamond
Rep:
?
due care and attention is the charge...is a driving offence still a criminal record?
mtbab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A Solicitor at a firm i worked at Last year, got a drink driving conviction in the middle of his LPC but still qualified, but like the LawSoc says, each on its own merits or demerits i guess
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
View it like this: it's obviously never a good thing, but it might not be as bad as you think. Email the SRA (The new name for the LawSoc) and ask them would probably be the best idea.
logical_zombie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What happens if you have convictions or other issues?
Every case is considered on its own merits. You will be asked to supply written confirmation of the relevant issues and you may be asked to appear before an SRA adjudicator to explain your situation.

If matters arise after your student enrolment has been granted, you must notify the SRA immediately. Failure to do so may result in a delay to your application for admission as a solicitor or, after admission, in your application for a practising certificate.
LuverlyLawyer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As far as I know the only crimes that can stop you being a barrister are crime of fraud or dishonestly. All other crimes are looked at individually. I guess the same applies to solicitors?
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would imagine so. I reckon mass murder might well get you a ban pretty sharp though, even if it's not automatic .
LuverlyLawyer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Didn't stop Louise Woodward...
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Touche.
Pink_Diamond
Rep:
?
oh the 3rd party isnt dead don't worry. But he was serisouly injured as in wheelchair injusred...surely that would be frowned upon if i had to give those details
logical_zombie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
wheelchair injured, ****, yeah but that goes without saying, most companies would probably look at you funny and be far more suspicious, frowned upon really isn't the term for it, more they will probably 'differentiate' you by asking questions about you, probably your self control, remorse etc.
Pink_Diamond
Rep:
?
remorse? i didnt do it on purpose, it was an accident, i was going at 5mph, the other wasnt (without being accusing..but speeding) and no helmet, no protective gear etc. I did however offer to personally buy him anew bike, i was the 1st person to check he was ok and call an amublance, and i even considered sending flowers to the hospital
Je$$ica
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
he's in a wheelchair and you offered to buy him a new bike?
Pink_Diamond
Rep:
?
its not for life, its while all his bits of broken heal, about 6months....and at the time i didnt realise what was wrong with him, my main concern was the no helmet thing and calling an ambulance.
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you considered buying him flowers

how generous!!!!

the n00b who knocked me over as a kid came to visit me every week in hospital!
Pink_Diamond
Rep:
?
was that sarcasm? and why would i want to visit someone who has got his mates to give me grief ever since, basically assualt me and make my life hell for an accident...he is not so innocent in driving either, he is a learner at that and isnt his 1st accident, not that im condoing wat i did, it was an accident though. Btw dont feel sympathy with the wheelcahir, he has been seen publicy out of it playing football using it as a goal paost
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads