Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking at ICLs website it appears as though the microbiology Bsc course does have the option of being coupled with management or research/industry like the Bsc in Biological sciences. Is there a particular reason for this?

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm about to go into my third year doing Biological Sciences at Imperial and I have a friend doing Microbiology so hopefully I can help! The Microbiology and Biological Sciences degrees are very similar and have a lot of common modules. Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Zoology and Ecology all have the same first year. When you start picking modules you want to do in the second year Biological Sciences can chose whatever they want, while Microbiology and the others have to pick modules related to their speciality (although you get preference for places on courses relevant to your speciality).

So the reason those options are available for Microbiology as well is because it's pretty much the same as Biological Sciences, but you have fewer optional modules to chose from.

I adore the course and Imperial as a university so I hope you chose to apply! Please feel free to ask me any questions you want about the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firefly13)
    Hello

I'm about to go into my third year doing Biological Sciences at Imperial and I have a friend doing Microbiology so hopefully I can help! The Microbiology and Biological Sciences degrees are very similar and have a lot of common modules. Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Zoology and Ecology all have the same first year. When you start picking modules you want to do in the second year Biological Sciences can chose whatever they want, while Microbiology and the others have to pick modules related to their speciality (although you get preference for places on courses relevant to your speciality).

So the reason those options are available for Microbiology as well is because it's pretty much the same as Biological Sciences, but you have fewer optional modules to chose from.

I adore the course and Imperial as a university so I hope you chose to apply! Please feel free to ask me any questions you want about the course
    Thank you for the reply! Biological sciences at imperial sounds amazing, congratulations! The thing is that I'm much more interested in bacteria and anything to do with microscopes(my favourite object ever haha) than anything to do ecology/behaviour so if I studied biological sciences I would end up doing a microbiology course anyway. How competitive is getting into biological sciences in comparison to microbiology? What is the atmosphere like where you are studying(as is are lecturers empathetic and helpful/do students have a positive attitude)? Do you get to meet people from other degrees? Does the course allow you time to relax every so often? (Sorry for the question overload)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcobruni98)
    Thank you for the reply! Biological sciences at imperial sounds amazing, congratulations! The thing is that I'm much more interested in bacteria and anything to do with microscopes(my favourite object ever haha) than anything to do ecology/behaviour so if I studied biological sciences I would end up doing a microbiology course anyway. How competitive is getting into biological sciences in comparison to microbiology? What is the atmosphere like where you are studying(as is are lecturers empathetic and helpful/do students have a positive attitude)? Do you get to meet people from other degrees? Does the course allow you time to relax every so often? (Sorry for the question overload)
    Thank you
    It's no problem, please feel free to ask whatever you want. It's pretty sad, but there's nothing I like better than trying to convince people to take Biology at Imperial .

I love the microbiology side of the degree as well (apart from not taking Bacterial Physiology I've taken all Microbiology options so you can ask me specific questions about them if you want). You will have one compulsory Ecology and Evolution module in the first year, but it's really easy (no one failed it and a high percentage of people got a 1st) so even though you may not find it interesting at least you don't need to try that hard on it!

How competitive is getting into biological sciences in comparison to microbiology?
    I would say they were the same. There aren't many people on the course doing Microbiology stream, but fewer people apply for that anyway. Biology is one of the easiest courses to get onto at Imperial and, in my year at least, they did tend to accept people who dropped one grade from their offer (as long as it wasn't in Biology or Maths/Science subject). Also they don't interview for Biology/Microbiology

What is the atmosphere like where you are studying?
    Most of the time it's a great atmosphere. Of course there are a few lecturers who are a bit, well, useless, but we haven't had many like that and they only tend to do one or two lectures so you don't have to put up with them for very long. Most lecturers are great though and they try to make their lectures as interesting as possible (you'll get Steve Cook for most of your first lectures and he's amazing, he'll really help you settle in!). I don't tend to ask questions, but whenever I have I have had a reply in a few days (usually on the same day) and they've been very supportive. People I know who have had problems have spoken to their personal tutors about it and they've managed to sort things out for them.

Most of the time the other students are happy and friendly (although a bit tired at 9am lectures!). Students who aren't like that don't tend to turn up to lectures because attendance isn't compulsory so you won't see them a lot. In my second year I took a module where I didn't know anyone else in the class and I made new friends in the class really quickly (it actually turned out to be my favourite module!). In the second year my year also set up a Facebook page for each subject where people can ask each other questions and send useful revision links. One time our lecturer even joined the group to help us! If you can try and organise that in the first year it's really helpful

Do you get to meet people from other degrees?
    Biology and Biochemistry share some final year options so you'll get to know people from Biochemistry pretty well. Apart from that there isn't much overlap to other courses (we share a building with the Medics/Biomedics, but they tend to be pretty busy so I haven't spoken to many of them). You'll usually meet people from other degrees if you join societies (which you should do!), live in halls or if you take an Horizons course. I don't know exactly how to describe Horizons, but they're courses Imperial offers that aren't related to your degree (like creative writing or a language) that you can take to learn something other than science. You have to do one in your second year. They're usually pretty fun though and you meet some great people.

Does the course allow you time to relax every so often?
    I have loads of time to relax. On a typical day you will have two to three lectures and on a few days a week you'll have a lab (up to three hours, but usually only two hours) or a tutorial (one hour). For example, in the first year you have two lectures each morning and then depending on your lab group, you will have Tuesday and Thursday afternoons or Monday and Friday afternoons in a tutorial or lab. That means you'll have three afternoons off a week to catch up on lecture notes or work. Things can get a bit hectic before a deadline, but it's usually fine. They try not to give you more than one piece of coursework at a time as well. I aim to get all my work done by the afternoon so I can have the evening to relax

Sorry for this really long reply! Hope it helps, and again feel free to ask me anything else!

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my first year of biology at Imperial and I seem to have had the opposite experience. I wouldn't recommend this course (or uni) and wish I went somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lillydew)
    I've just finished my first year of biology at Imperial and I seem to have had the opposite experience. I wouldn't recommend this course (or uni) and wish I went somewhere else.
    I'm so sorry to hear that I hope your second year gets better and whatever you didn't like about the first year gets sorted out :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firefly13)
    It's no problem, please feel free to ask whatever you want. It's pretty sad, but there's nothing I like better than trying to convince people to take Biology at Imperial .

I love the microbiology side of the degree as well (apart from not taking Bacterial Physiology I've taken all Microbiology options so you can ask me specific questions about them if you want). You will have one compulsory Ecology and Evolution module in the first year, but it's really easy (no one failed it and a high percentage of people got a 1st) so even though you may not find it interesting at least you don't need to try that hard on it!

How competitive is getting into biological sciences in comparison to microbiology?
    I would say they were the same. There aren't many people on the course doing Microbiology stream, but fewer people apply for that anyway. Biology is one of the easiest courses to get onto at Imperial and, in my year at least, they did tend to accept people who dropped one grade from their offer (as long as it wasn't in Biology or Maths/Science subject). Also they don't interview for Biology/Microbiology

What is the atmosphere like where you are studying?
    Most of the time it's a great atmosphere. Of course there are a few lecturers who are a bit, well, useless, but we haven't had many like that and they only tend to do one or two lectures so you don't have to put up with them for very long. Most lecturers are great though and they try to make their lectures as interesting as possible (you'll get Steve Cook for most of your first lectures and he's amazing, he'll really help you settle in!). I don't tend to ask questions, but whenever I have I have had a reply in a few days (usually on the same day) and they've been very supportive. People I know who have had problems have spoken to their personal tutors about it and they've managed to sort things out for them.

Most of the time the other students are happy and friendly (although a bit tired at 9am lectures!). Students who aren't like that don't tend to turn up to lectures because attendance isn't compulsory so you won't see them a lot. In my second year I took a module where I didn't know anyone else in the class and I made new friends in the class really quickly (it actually turned out to be my favourite module!). In the second year my year also set up a Facebook page for each subject where people can ask each other questions and send useful revision links. One time our lecturer even joined the group to help us! If you can try and organise that in the first year it's really helpful

Do you get to meet people from other degrees?
    Biology and Biochemistry share some final year options so you'll get to know people from Biochemistry pretty well. Apart from that there isn't much overlap to other courses (we share a building with the Medics/Biomedics, but they tend to be pretty busy so I haven't spoken to many of them). You'll usually meet people from other degrees if you join societies (which you should do!), live in halls or if you take an Horizons course. I don't know exactly how to describe Horizons, but they're courses Imperial offers that aren't related to your degree (like creative writing or a language) that you can take to learn something other than science. You have to do one in your second year. They're usually pretty fun though and you meet some great people.

Does the course allow you time to relax every so often?
    I have loads of time to relax. On a typical day you will have two to three lectures and on a few days a week you'll have a lab (up to three hours, but usually only two hours) or a tutorial (one hour). For example, in the first year you have two lectures each morning and then depending on your lab group, you will have Tuesday and Thursday afternoons or Monday and Friday afternoons in a tutorial or lab. That means you'll have three afternoons off a week to catch up on lecture notes or work. Things can get a bit hectic before a deadline, but it's usually fine. They try not to give you more than one piece of coursework at a time as well. I aim to get all my work done by the afternoon so I can have the evening to relax

Sorry for this really long reply! Hope it helps, and again feel free to ask me anything else!
    Thank you, I'm very excited to study biological sciences or microbiology at imperial. I got my AS results today and I got four As! I wasn't expecting them to be so good! looks like applying to imperial is closer to being a reality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcobruni98)
    Thank you, I'm very excited to study biological sciences or microbiology at imperial. I got my AS results today and I got four As! I wasn't expecting them to be so good! looks like applying to imperial is closer to being a reality!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's fantastic. You definitely have a chance at getting accepted
    If you would like any advice on personal statements or anything like that then let me know.

I hope this doesn't come across as really creepy, but I usually volunteer at open days so if you want to come up to any of those I would be happy to give you (and anyone your bring along with you) a tour of the department and answer any questions you may have. Obviously I completely understand if you don't want that, but I thought I should offer

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.