Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my physics teacher said that she would predict whichever grade we get on our mock exam earlier on this year. Mock results are out now and i have gotten 76% overall on the exam for physics. My other 2 subjects are maths(Results are not out yet) and computer science(96%)

The school decided to put the A* grade boundary at 96% which is far of from my 76% in physics. I will most likely get predicted a B or C(not sure what the other grade boundaries are). We sit for our exams in november so i am applying to uni for 2017 entry, I hope to get into oxford for physics but now with that not A* prediction, i do not think i should even bother to apply.

What should i do? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ask your teacher to try and bring your predicted grade up a bit
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    So my physics teacher said that she would predict whichever grade we get on our mock exam earlier on this year. Mock results are out now and i have gotten 76% overall on the exam for physics. My other 2 subjects are maths(Results are not out yet) and computer science(96%)

The school decided to put the A* grade boundary at 96% which is far of from my 76% in physics. I will most likely get predicted a B or C(not sure what the other grade boundaries are). We sit for our exams in november so i am applying to uni for 2017 entry, I hope to get into oxford for physics but now with that not A* prediction, i do not think i should even bother to apply.

What should i do? Thanks
    Talk to your physics teacher.

Explain your ambitions for Oxford physics and ask her what sort of improvements she would like to see over the summer to predict you an A or an A*

You have to take the PAT for oxford physics so it might be that working on preparation for that and demonstrating to her that you're likely to do well could be enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Talk to your physics teacher.

Explain your ambitions for Oxford physics and ask her what sort of improvements she would like to see over the summer to predict you an A or an A*

You have to take the PAT for oxford physics so it might be that working on preparation for that and demonstrating to her that you're likely to do well could be enough.
    She knows of my ambition for oxford physics but the boundaries for some reason were set by the school's admin team so she might not be able to do anything about it.

I have started my preparation for the PAT and have gone to her for help. I think she does know that i am capable of achieving A* as she once said that i am the type of student that does not need to study much for a test and could still get a D or C.(She said it during AS year so idk if she still feels that way for A2)

Unfortunately, there is no summer for any improvement as we sit for our exams in oct/nov so that means my A2 exams are just a few months away.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    She knows of my ambition for oxford physics but the boundaries for some reason were set by the school's admin team so she might not be able to do anything about it.

I have started my preparation for the PAT and have gone to her for help. I think she does know that i am capable of achieving A* as she once said that i am the type of student that does not need to study much for a test and could still get a D or C.(She said it during AS year so idk if she still feels that way for A2)

Unfortunately, there is no summer for any improvement as we sit for our exams in oct/nov so that means my A2 exams are just a few months away.
    If you don't talk to her about your predicted grades then you have no idea what influence she has over the grades you get given.

Do you know who will write your UCAS reference? they'll be the person compiling your teacher references and predictions together and sending them off to UCAS - they might be a barrier that will prevent your physics teacher predicting you higher.

Looking at http://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-h...es-for-physics the primary shortlisting criteria is your PAT performance. They only look outside the PAT performance to check for exceptional GCSEs or mitigating circumstances. If you ace your PAT then even with A C grade prediction you're likely to be shortlisted for interview.

ReputationRep:

The fact is that there has been little help for teachers in guesstimating grades under the new syllabuses. The exam boards (who many of us suspect haven't really made their minds up themselves yet) have been quite vague in saying what constitutes an A, or a B and so forth, largely because they don't know what they are going to find in the new exams. As a result, schools have had to come to decisions themselves about how they are going to predict and what evidence they are going to use, and more to the point, whether they are going to err on the side of caution or optimism. I'm sure your teacher will give you whatever support she can in this. The school may well have made a policy she has to work under, so ask what that is, and be aware that all schools will find it equally difficult to know what to expect and universities know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you don't talk to her about your predicted grades then you have no idea what influence she has over the grades you get given.

Do you know who will write your UCAS reference? they'll be the person compiling your teacher references and predictions together and sending them off to UCAS - they might be a barrier that will prevent your physics teacher predicting you higher.

Looking at http://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-h...es-for-physics the primary shortlisting criteria is your PAT performance. They only look outside the PAT performance to check for exceptional GCSEs or mitigating circumstances. If you ace your PAT then even with A C grade prediction you're likely to be shortlisted for interview.
    That'll be my maths teacher. I will talk to both of them once they confirm the grade we get.

That's good to know but say i get predicted a B, how would i go about explaining that i did not do well enough in the mocks to be predicted an A* or A. Woudlnt that only make me look incapable of achieving that grade?

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    That'll be my maths teacher. I will talk to both of them once they confirm the grade we get.

That's good to know but say i get predicted a B, how would i go about explaining that i did not do well enough in the mocks to be predicted an A* or A. Woudlnt that only make me look incapable of achieving that grade?

Thankyou
    It's not your job to explain anything. It will be in your reference, from your teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    The fact is that there has been little help for teachers in guesstimating grades under the new syllabuses. The exam boards (who many of us suspect haven't really made their minds up themselves yet) have been quite vague in saying what constitutes an A, or a B and so forth, largely because they don't know what they are going to find in the new exams. As a result, schools have had to come to decisions themselves about how they are going to predict and what evidence they are going to use, and more to the point, whether they are going to err on the side of caution or optimism. I'm sure your teacher will give you whatever support she can in this. The school may well have made a policy she has to work under, so ask what that is, and be aware that all schools will find it equally difficult to know what to expect and universities know that.
    Not sure what u mean by new syllabuses. Im doing CIE exams. The only syllabus change i am aware of is some content change(remove or from AS to A2). and formatting differences. (e.g in paper 4, no longer divided into sections)

And for the CIE board, the A grade for paper 4 is usually around 60/100 marks. I have got 78 for that paper which is well above an A. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what u mean by new syllabuses. Im doing CIE exams. The only syllabus change i am aware of is some content change(remove or from AS to A2). and formatting differences. (e.g in paper 4, no longer divided into sections)

And for the CIE board, the A grade for paper 4 is usually around 60/100 marks. I have got 78 for that paper which is well above an A. Thanks
    I'm sorry, I was unaware you were international. UK syllabuses have changed. you should talk to your teacher, then.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Thankyou
    Your referee should explain the basis for predicted grades as part of the reference - make sure your teachers have read the guidance to teachers: http://www.oxford-admissions-webapp.org/pages/view/43 and http://www.oxford-admissions-webapp.org/pages/view/44 are particularly useful.

Mocks are mocks - as CLR explained above with changes to A levels going through predictions are particularly difficult for teachers and it seems as if your school are erring on the side of caution. Making it clear that a disappointing mock result has motivated you to up your game and study harder to get the grades you're capable of is all they'll be looking for in an interview.

Universities want applicants who will academically peak while they're AT university - not applicants who peaked in yr 12 and struggle to progress beyond that. An upward trajectory in your recent marks is a VERY compelling picture.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As PQ has said your PAT will be much more important than your predicted grade. If you get a good PAT score they won't be in the slightest bit interested in a low prediction. And a good interview will reinforce that and make an offer more likely.

However, you will still need to ensure you can meet the Offer (should you get one) so work with your physics teacher to ensure you perform as well as possible in your A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.