Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone plz tell me how long is the exam? 1 hours? How many questions are there? Are there any listening parts etc apart from the exam paper? I'm just curious
    Thanx in advance

ReputationRep:
    The exam is 2 hours. There are no listening parts... I would imagine there are 7 questions, like in Grade 4

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the reply.
    7 questions consisting of many subquestions? Do you have to spend every single minute WISELY in order to avoid running out of time?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. You can leave after 40 minutes, and I'd finished the paper within 20! It doesn't matter if you are slower though, just take your time.

ReputationRep:
    yea the paper is 2 hours. you have alot of time i used the whole 2 hours and rechecked my paper about 50 times. gd luck on it!!

ReputationRep:
    theory... what are the things that usually come up? i know that the abrsm website has a very very brief specification on G5 theory. how does the exam work? Do they test you 1 or 2 questions from each section?
    and about the 7 questions in 2 hours, how long are they? Do they require long answers? Are there subquestions within the 7 questions?
    I have tonnes of questions regarding the theory, i am preparing for it, might take it in November.

I prepared for the G5 theory by using the "theory workbooks" that are produced. My teacher helped check my work and see if I needed any extra help. I then took the exam after finishing the workbook.

ReputationRep:
    The structure of the question don't really change. If you buy one past paper then you will find that your exam will generally follow the same structure. Like the first question is usually on about few lines (this is G4 btw.) of music and you will be asked to write the time sig. in, find the key, answer what the directions mean and/or add phrasing. The questions don't really change that much, except the content of the question, if you get what I mean lol :p:

The only thing I thought you really need to LEARN for G4 was scales and Italian/French terms... Not sure about G5, but I'm doing it at the end of this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakurawings)
    theory... what are the things that usually come up? i know that the abrsm website has a very very brief specification on G5 theory. how does the exam work? Do they test you 1 or 2 questions from each section?
    and about the 7 questions in 2 hours, how long are they? Do they require long answers? Are there subquestions within the 7 questions?
    I have tonnes of questions regarding the theory, i am preparing for it, might take it in November.
    Yeah there are subquestions.

You have to answer all questions as far as I know, except where you have to choose between two questions, like in G4 where you had to choose between writing rhythm to words or a 4 bar rhythm.

They don't require long answers no; most of the are writing down one-word answers. Not really a lot of writing.

Any questions at all PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakurawings)
    You will ALWAYS get general questions on a passage. Such questions will include writing in time signatures, completing bars by using the rules for notes and rests in different time signatures, identifying the key of a given piece, identifying chords etc etc. You normally get questions on the standard orchestra, i.e. the highest and lowest members of the groups, the clefs used. Make sure you are familiar with both the alto and tenor clef. Learn ALL terms from grade 1 - 5 - usually an easy 4-6 marks; don't lose them!

You must be familiar with intervals. At grade 5 you are expected to know about compound intervals.

You will always be asked to write out a major scale, either using accidentals or a key signature, either ascnding or descending. You will also be asked to do the same with a minor scale, either in melodic or harmonic form - make sure you are familiar with both!

You then have the choice to compose a melody (9 - 12 bars I think) for a certain instrument (you sometimes have a choice) OR to put music to lyrics. This involves a lot of creativity. I think putting music to lyrics is much easier, and there is plenty of scope to be inventive easily.

You must also be familiar with transpositions (up/down major 2nd, up/down minor 3rd, up/down perfect 5th) for the clarinet, trumpet and french horn respectively. You will only be asked one. Make sure you are VERY accurate.

Be familiar with SATB score - a very easy 10 marks if you can do it accurately! They only gave me 7/10 for this bit - mustn't have been so accurate!

You are almost ALWAYS asked at the end of the paper to complete a cadence exercise. Make sure you are familiar with perfect, imperfect and plagal cadences. These are the easiest 10 marks of your life, providing you are accurate!

Finally, good luck. If you can get your head around this, you will find that it's interesting. I managed it, passed with 87, and have now decided to carry on with Grade 6 theory for fun. What a step up that is, though... But, equally, very rewarding!

ReputationRep:
    i had to learn for g5 theory on my own using my friends notes. you have to know the intervals cos there like 10 easy marks and the melody at the end is also another 10 easy marks. learn the terms e.g. con expressione. and the keys in the scales,. gd luck i'm sure you'll do fabulously!!

ReputationRep:
    thanx everyone. I'm taking the exam this November.

ReputationRep:
    not sure if its been mentioned already but do get some abrsm practice papers. theyre only a couple of quid so well worth it, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I took the exam today...there was a five mark question asking what a german instruction meant. If I remembered it I would ask here but I don't. Did anyone else take it today and know the answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bon)
    I took the exam today...there was a five mark question asking what a german instruction meant. If I remembered it I would ask here but I don't. Did anyone else take it today and know the answer?
    Can you tell me most of the questions in the exam coz I'm revising for next term's exam and want to know the questions from this term?

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 7, 2012

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.