Turn on thread page Beta

1st Time at Gym - What should i do? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Looking for advice on losing large amounts of weight. Im currently male, 5' 8 and weigh around the 14 stone 4lb mark :eek:

I am naturally bulky (large frame) but definatly have a too much fat on me! What i would like to do is lose weight but also bulk up a tad. At the moment i get commented on how bulky I look and wish to keep that appearance after losing the weight, if that makes sense So weight loss is the priority but also possibly working on muscles.

I've done my induction at the gym but now need to know what machines i should use and for what lengths of time. I intend to go around 3-4times a week and hope for significant changes in the next 1.5months if possible.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Start a fight, it will help stamp your authority.

ReputationRep:
    Does the gym have personal trainers or assistants? If so, the best thing you can do is ask them and see if they'll help you work out an exercise programme for you.
    Everybody's body is different, ditto ability at the gym.

ReputationRep:
    invest in a personal trainer! woop!!

ReputationRep:
    I believe so but i think they only give serious advice when you book one of their one-on-one sessions which cost £35 for 2 hours :mad:

I could possibly do one of these then use the program advised but tbh that £35 could also be used to purchase 1 months unlimited access to the gym so was hoping to grab some advice of you guys Especially since im going to uni very soon and currently i dont have a part-time job so am really tight for $$$!

Weight loss is the priority. Diet is being controlled but not strictly. No junk (crisps, chocolates etc), for breakfast i normally have egg + brown bread, or toast with tea. Lunch i have either a tuna + sweetcorn sandwich or cheese + lettace + tomato sandwich, with an apple and banana. Tea is normally fair amount of white rice, chicken and vegtables. I eat tea around 6.00 and do not snack afterwards. Liquids however im terrible at. Im surprised im alive with the amount of water i drink. I dont think its more than 2-3 glasses a day if that! Although i do have tea in the morning, and in the evening. But i am improving by keeping a 2litre bottle with me and i am getting into the habit of sipping away at it.

Excercise is little. Play occasionally basketball, and walk on average, probs 15 minutes every day. Thats it! Hence im presuming hitting treadmill, bike, rowing machine etc would all be appropriate. However im not sure at all, so just something rough would be excellent. Unless you really think a personal trainer is worth it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    35 for one hour with me! you got it cheap

as for solid advice, diet looks better than most, water intake should be fine cos food has alot in, cheese is 70% water and rice absorbs loads when cooked in it(as i hope you do) veggies are high in water, so yeh, should be ok on that count.

if you want quick results, take a look at HIIT, do a search, i must have written at least 5 explinanations of it already on here.

for muscles, start with compounds(yes its cliche but it works!!) and yes, bench, squat, dead and shoulder press are staples you should learn and use.

that ok? just ask if you need more help or need any of that cleared up, but i refuse to write out another full explination of HIIT

ReputationRep:
    but, yes, a personal trainer is worth it.

in my experience, peopel who have to work for the money are far better clients and generally listen and get better results, rich toffs couldnt care less and generally want you to hold thier hand , cos they are such gays... no offence...you know who you are....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks focusST!!

Much appreciate all your advice and searched the forums for HIIT and found this webpage: http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp and lots of interesting threads which should make for good reading! Looks really good and interesting, so many thanks for bringing it to my attention.

ReputationRep:
    thats 35 quid then.

Going to the gym is good, but remember diet is the main factor in losing weight!

ReputationRep:
    I'd use the gym for weight lifting, and do your cardio outside when you can. Do sprints on a football pitch or park or whatever. Build a sandbag and carry it for distance, that's cool.

In the gym, maybe consider just doing some well established can't-go-wrong routine like Starting Strength http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_ten)
    I'd use the gym for weight lifting, and do your cardio outside when you can. Do sprints on a football pitch or park or whatever. Build a sandbag and carry it for distance, that's cool.

In the gym, maybe consider just doing some well established can't-go-wrong routine like Starting Strength http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
    go on the cross trainer

this is a good low impact exercise, that is easy to do HIIT for if you chose to (as you can quickly change resistance and you yourself chose the speed.

I would have said do jogging in the park but you just joined a gym, lol. so go there instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john!!)
    I would have said do jogging in the park but you just joined a gym, lol.
    lol.

OP - if you like doing cardio in a stuffy gym with **** air quality, then ok. Personally I find it disgusting, and suggest that you "get some fresh air". Use the gym for weight lifting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_ten)
    lol.

OP - if you like doing cardio in a stuffy gym with **** air quality, then ok. Personally I find it disgusting, and suggest that you "get some fresh air". Use the gym for weight lifting.
    Yeah I used to have doing cardio in the gym; the hot sticky environment isn't ideal for cardio. Thats why I invested in a treadmill for my home gym which has 10x better air quality

ReputationRep:
    you paid for the gym so use it.
    ask them to turn on AC.

ReputationRep:
    If all else fails, lock yourself in the sauna, i think its 300 calories per 15mins. Dont quote me on it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by focusST)
    35 for one hour with me! you got it cheap

as for solid advice, diet looks better than most, water intake should be fine cos food has alot in, cheese is 70% water and rice absorbs loads when cooked in it(as i hope you do) veggies are high in water, so yeh, should be ok on that count.

if you want quick results, take a look at HIIT, do a search, i must have written at least 5 explinanations of it already on here.

for muscles, start with compounds(yes its cliche but it works!!) and yes, bench, squat, dead and shoulder press are staples you should learn and use.

that ok? just ask if you need more help or need any of that cleared up, but i refuse to write out another full explination of HIIT
    £35

About personal trainers, I always figured most of them weren't particularly good (at least not when wanting hypertrophy/strength gains), just reciting what they'd be told to say and recommending the use of machines. (I don't think necessarily think machines are bad, I just prefer not to use them).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.