Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Note: I am in no way promoting the use of smart drugs.

Just wondering if anyone has taken any drugs to improve their productivity or to help them write an essay?

Or do you rely on coffee? If neither, how do you keep up with work etc?

ReputationRep:
    If you need drugs or coffee, you've clearly done something wrong. No undergrad should need to study that hard unless they've completely overdone it in some other area. If they're going nuts every night and still having Freshers Week in February, then they only need stimulants to catch up on what they could have done. Same with people who get super into other things like performance or socs to the detriment of everything else.

ReputationRep:
    My old my flatmate was prescribed modafinil to counter-act some other drugs he needed to take. Lovely guy, but I did not enjoy living with him when it was deadline time. The only time I need to drink coffee or use pro plus is when I'm under a lot of stress, which usually is a signal for me that I'm overdoing it. Stimulants can never the replace the benefits of a good work/life balance and feeling calm under pressure IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabelaw124)
    My old my flatmate was prescribed modafinil to counter-act some other drugs he needed to take. Lovely guy, but I did not enjoy living with him when it was deadline time. The only time I need to drink coffee or use pro plus is when I'm under a lot of stress, which usually is a signal for me that I'm overdoing it. Stimulants can never the replace the benefits of a good work/life balance and feeling calm under pressure IMHO.
    How comes? What was he like? I know this girl who just got a first and a TC with DLA Piper and she swore by that modafilnil drug!

I tried pro plus but for some reason I just felt super queasy so I never took it again. Yeah I completely agree with your last point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    If you need drugs or coffee, you've clearly done something wrong. No undergrad should need to study that hard unless they've completely overdone it in some other area. If they're going nuts every night and still having Freshers Week in February, then they only need stimulants to catch up on what they could have done. Same with people who get super into other things like performance or socs to the detriment of everything else.
    Yeah I agree - its hard to balance everything though I think. For example being pres of a soc, working on studies 9-5 and going out. Something has to let up.

ReputationRep:
    don't study law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shortysaturdays)
    Yeah I agree - its hard to balance everything though I think. For example being pres of a soc, working on studies 9-5 and going out. Something has to let up.
    This is coming from a social sciences grad - I didn't read law, although I did a few modules of it, and I knew plenty of people on law - it shouldn't even be 9-5. You should easily be able to be in 2 socs, work (job) a few hours a week and do perfectly competent undergrad studies as well as go out two nights a week. If you can't do that - something's wrong unless you're a finalist or reading Engineering or clinical years medicine. Definitely the languages/history type people should be able to do this - it's what's broadening your mind.

People who generally need study drugs are those who need to catch up because they've spent most of the year going out, or taking other drugs and have been too stoned to do anything else.

ReputationRep:
    How comes? What was he like? I know this girl who just got a first and a TC with DLA Piper and she swore by that modafilnil drug!

I tried pro plus but for some reason I just felt super queasy so I never took it again. Yeah I completely agree with your last point!
    It definitely helped him. He was super focused and could lock himself in his room for hours at time without stopping his work. I can see why people do it if they're really struggling for motivation or have their backs against a wall because of a deadline. The downside (as his flatmate) was that it also meant that he was quite loud, never slept, and the drug didn't seem to agree with his bowels He also had trouble with his peripheral vision so crossing roads wasn't always the safest idea...

ReputationRep:
    Neither- you just need the good student diet of alcohol

ReputationRep:
    Note: I am in no way promoting the use of smart drugs.

Just wondering if anyone has taken any drugs to improve their productivity or to help them write an essay?

Or do you rely on coffee? If neither, how do you keep up with work etc?
    Nope never. I'm an extremely last minute person, coursework always done on an all-nighter the night before due, revision/most work won't be done until final term, it's just about the mindset and focussing when you really need to.

Those who need smart drugs to do that will get hit hard with reality when it comes to working.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who was properly prescribed these drugs for ADHD, I'd ask why you actually want to take it?

The side effects aren't all that great and if you're getting it on the dodgy you can't be sure that it'd take well with your system!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.