Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    With results coming soon I am thinking more and more of my uni choices. I picked UCL as my firm for Maths with Modern Languages and got the standard A*A*A offer. I don't want to call the shots but I am expecting to end up with A*A*A*A which will qualify me for adjustment. My insurance is Bath and I quite like what the uni offers in terms of sports (rowing) and degree structure (but there I won't do languages which is in my interest). Can I simply reject the UCL offer if I get the grades or will I have to go through adjustment? Also, is UCL really worth the 10000 euro markup simply because it's in London (I know I know it's a great place to be with opportunities and much more chance to get famous guest speakers etc.)? I applied for a BSc in both as my ultimate goal is to complete a masters degree at Oxford but before I can embark on such a venture I need a good grounding in the form of a BSc; so I guess another question is how does Bath compare to UCL in the UK in terms of degree quality?

ReputationRep:
    In UK terms they are both amazing unis, they are classes as some of the top Russell Group unis along side Oxbridge, Kings and Imperial. They both have great facilities, reputation, research and more.

In terms of which one is best for you, only you can tell which one is best as you will be the one going for the next 3 years and experiencing it...A believe that you can choose between your Firm and Insurance as they are the ones that you pick, all you need to do is call UCL up and say that you would like to decline their offer and call Bath to say that you accept their offer, before that though double check that this is the right decision for you as changing unis as a different hurdle itself.

If you want to apply for adjustment, you always can. However, I believe that it's for people who picked "low" classed unis or was stuck with unis that didn't want (as in their favourites)due to their predicted grades/personal circumstances/as grades and etc, who have now achieve high grades and want to look into those top unis/their favs who ask for top grades.

The last thing is GOOD LUCK and I hope that you get into the uni of your choice and get those awesome grades!!

ReputationRep:
    With such poor grades you should be looking at London Met instead.

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    Would love some more input

ReputationRep:
    If you've firmed UCL and meet your grades then you lose your insurance offer automatically, you can't pick and choose between them. You will be eligible for adjustment if you exceed your predicted grades, but I doubt Bath will be participating in it for a course like Maths (but it's worth checking). If it isn't and you would prefer to go to Bath then you'll probably have to wait a year. Both unis are good for Maths, UCL will obviously be more expensive in terms of living costs since it's in London but may be a little better for networking since it's in the city and close to other good unis such as LSE, although this is just speculative. It's your call, really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.