Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys am looking for some ideas of what to eat as im getting bored with my current diet. firstly i do not follow a specific diet i just try to eat healthly. secondly i dont have a lot of weight i would like to loose maybe 7-10lbs but i would like to do it before i start my new uni in sept. thirdly i have dietry restrictions which make it hard for me to come up with new meal ideas so im looking for some help. Basically i cant eat any dairy products, wholewheat products and i dont like fish.
    My normal day i eat:
    1x english muffin toasted with low sugar straw jam, 1 glass oj
    lunch: 1 bagel toasted with extra low fat hellmans with either a banana or 2 slices of wafer thin ham
    dinner: varies but will always have a portion of salad (lettuce, tomato, red and green pepper), either grilled chicken medallions/weight watchers spinach and ricotta tortellini (yes has dairy in it but in v small amounts occasionally, i do ok with) with chopped tomatos or i will have the salad with some meat (usually chicken) in a tortilla wrap.
    Very occasionally i have either a baked potato or have started having the baby new potatos with the salad. I dont really like pasta and so dont really eat that much of it and dont do rice!

snacks: alpro soya yog, small tub sugar free jelly, grapes, banana satsuma (not all in one day just usually what i will snack on)

now all being well that will do me for the day however i tend to get to maybe 9-10pm and i start munching. sometimes i can do well and steer myself to the grapes/ fruit but more often than not i am drawn to the party rings or the jelly beans (party rings are my vice!) and then that is me munching away.

normally i do dance 3x a week but not being in uni means im not doing this. I have been trying to go to the gym about 3-4 times a week where i do the weight loss programme on the x trainer then small weights to try and tone, but this is getting quite boring now and i am loosing motivation. Basically i am looking for new food ideas and a bit of gym motivation to get me going again! like i said im not wanting to loose a great amount but would like to do it for myself to look and feel better.
    If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated just to kick start me going again

xx

ReputationRep:
    drink lots of water, this curbs your appitie, so should stop you reaching for the party rings!

you say your a dancer and are looking for some motivation/fun gym stuff - well my gf does classes like body pump, body step etc, these are to music and she really enjoys them (body step is the dancier one)
    if your gym does classes like these maybe these would be good? and as its in a group = added motivation!

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you need to basically stop eating crap, there's plenty of room for improvement just by doing that. That isn't just the party-rings and jelly beans (why are they in your house in the first place?) but pretty much all the rest of your diet, too.

Crap = muffin, low-sugar jam, bagel, extra low fat mayo, wafer-thin ham, tortilla wraps, WW ready meals, soya yoghurt, sugar-free jelly.

ReputationRep:
    soya yoghurt crap, how?

ReputationRep:
    The soya part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_ten)
    The soya part.
    They cant have dairy so have to have soya ones!
    Anyway, soya yogurts are a good healthy alternative to normal yogurts which have added nutrients to make up for what you dont get if you have to cut out dairy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanhan88)
    or they could just not eat yoghurt or yoghurt substitutes at all.

ReputationRep:
    hi there

sounds like you need an alternative to your usual evening munchies. I follow slimming world and find dry roasted chick peas great for keeping the munchies at bay..

Turn oven on high then drain can of chick peas, put on baking tray, spray with fry light (or similar) then throw in oven. Keep shaking tray now and again till they all crispy. Then when they done you can sprinkle with little salt or something like schwartz shotz (little packs of spice) let them cool or eat them hot.

Don't know if this helps since your munchies seem to be sweet!! If you're a biccy kind of person the least damaging (diet wise) are prob jaffa cakes - but then you need to ask yourself is it a cake or is it a biscuit!!!!

anyway good luck,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajlgirl)
    hi there

sounds like you need an alternative to your usual evening munchies. I follow slimming world and find dry roasted chick peas great for keeping the munchies at bay..

Turn oven on high then drain can of chick peas, put on baking tray, spray with fry light (or similar) then throw in oven. Keep shaking tray now and again till they all crispy. Then when they done you can sprinkle with little salt or something like schwartz shotz (little packs of spice) let them cool or eat them hot.

Don't know if this helps since your munchies seem to be sweet!! If you're a biccy kind of person the least damaging (diet wise) are prob jaffa cakes - but then you need to ask yourself is it a cake or is it a biscuit!!!!

anyway good luck,
    Ooooh, are these free on a green then? sound yummy! I struggle to find good snacks for a green day that i can take to work and oftern reach for crips, will have to try these.

With regard to the yogurt thing, i dont see how yogurt (soya or dairy) is **** food? If you get the low fat varieties theyre a great healthy snack. And its a good source of calcium anyway which she will need if she's not gettingit from other dairy sources.

ReputationRep:
    The weight will come off quickly if you limit your carbohydrates

ReputationRep:
    Ok basically drink at least 2l of water a day more if you are exercising.
    Do light weights yes, but (unless you want to bulk up) do cardio, not in the gymn. Get a pair of running shoes (proper ones or youll suffer) and hit the roads.
    Diet wise....cut out sweets, chocolate, biscuits, cake, snack on fruit, seeds etc.
    Breakfast should be the biggest emal of the day followed by lunch then dinner. Cut out the oj as well unless you squeeze it yourself as cartoned oj is full of sugar and crap and is not good for you!!
    make sure you are eating enough, otherwise your body will go into hibernation mode.
    Shame you don't like fish omega 3 is very very good for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmy_88)
    make sure you are eating enough, otherwise your body will go into hibernation mode.
    what the **** is hibernation mode?

ReputationRep:
    you seem to be eating slightly too many carbohydrates, especially non complex ones
    this will spike your blood sugar levels and cause weight gain through excessive insulin release and also appetite increase

you should focus on more complex carbs through vegetables, fruit, wholegrains etc, also less processed foods will help your body to digest/process food quicker giving your metabolism a jump start

good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    hanhan88 - yes free on a green but obviously watch what you're putting on them in case syns in it. I usually just sprinkle bit of salt. Great alternative to peanuts i find!!
    Theres some crisps too made from lasagne sheets but can't remember how to make them now. will look.

Hibernation mode happens if you don't eat enough. In simple terms your body starts saving everything out of what you do eat (including the fat) just in case it doesn't get any food for a while. Your metabolism slows. You have to eat regularly for your metabolism to tick over nicely!!!

When I started slimming world (omg like 4 yrs now!! - although 18mths to target and now maintaining) I was shocked at the amount they want you to eat. But it worked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajlgirl)
    Hibernation mode happens if you don't eat enough. In simple terms your body starts saving everything out of what you do eat (including the fat) just in case it doesn't get any food for a while. Your metabolism slows. You have to eat regularly for your metabolism to tick over nicely!!!
    how regularly do you have to eat to avoid hibernation mode?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanhan88)
    Anyway, soya yogurts are a good healthy alternative to normal yogurts which have added nutrients to make up for what you dont get if you have to cut out dairy.
    I beg to differ hon. I've just written a dissertation about how soy products being sold as "healthy" altrernative to dairy ones is the biggest con in the food industry.

Look up phytoestrogens and how they totally mess you up internally - they are plant-based hormones which essentially behave like estrogen in humans. Some of the side-effects are debilitating to organs (especially in babies) and soy products are absolutely loaded with them.

A research paper i read (i'll go back to my project and find the source) claimed that drinking 1.5 litres of standard soy milk was the chemical equivalent of swallowing 6 contraceptive pills.

I absolutely won't touch any of it. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silkiest)
    I beg to differ hon. I've just written a dissertation about how soy products being sold as "healthy" altrernative to dairy ones is the biggest con in the food industry.

Look up phytoestrogens and how they totally mess you up internally - they are plant-based hormones which essentially behave like estrogen in humans. Some of the side-effects are debilitating to organs (especially in babies) and soy products are absolutely loaded with them.

A research paper i read (i'll go back to my project and find the source) claimed that drinking 1.5 litres of standard soy milk was the chemical equivalent of swallowing 6 contraceptive pills.

Fair enough. I just know my aunty cant have dairy so she tends to have the yogurts and abit of the milk and she's not had any problems with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azzat)
    drink lots of water, this curbs your appitie, so should stop you reaching for the party rings!
    mentioning party rings to me is now punishable by death - are you trying to make me screw up my diet? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silkiest)

oh noooo does that mean i shouldn't eat tofu anymore either? I thought ppl said tofu was good. People often say that asian diets are healthier because they eat less meat than europe, eat loads more vegetables, fish and TOFU. They always stick in the tofu somewhere as a 'healthy good food' don't they? :confused:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.