Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am hopefully going to university starting September 201 however, I would like to know do you think it's worth bringing your car with you? My top university choices are Bournemouth and Birmingham city if that helps.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shelbyobrien1x)
    I am hopefully going to university starting September 201 however, I would like to know do you think it's worth bringing your car with you? My top university choices are Bournemouth and Birmingham city if that helps.
    Hello

When I started university I took my car with me and I'm about to go into Third Year and I still have my car - personally, I think it was extremely useful having my car with me. It was easy going shopping and bringing it back, I could travel home whenever I wanted and days out were extremely easy. It was easy for parking and such as well - but yeah, I think it was extremely worth having a car!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go through first semester or even first year without a car as it will give you an idea of how useful it could be, then afterwards if it makes sense and you can afford it start bringing it to uni.

ReputationRep:
    I had my car all three years of university and was lucky I was able to park at university as I lived in halls all three years. Depends are you living at university halls or rent a student house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there! Amanda here at BCU! You won't really need a car if you study with us - there's great train and bus links if you live outside of the city centre but most of our accommodation is based in the city centre near the campus so it's so easy to get everywhere.

I also went to Bournemouth as a student myself, I took a car with me but purely because I lived in Leicester and I lived in houses where there was parking on nearby roads. However if you are based in the halls parking is very limited.

Hope that helps!

It's good to have a car if you move around a lot, but if you want to save money use public transport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bournemouth doesn't permit student parking at Halls or on campus unless you have a blue badge. All the roads around campus are no parking. The closest parking to the main campus is so far away that getting the bus is faster anyway. The green policies ensure that using a car is made as inconvenient as possible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.