Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, i dunno if this topic has come up much before but which would be better for IB economics at UCL or math (or engineering) at Imperial. i am asking because it seems that Imperail ranks better than UCL and people have mentioned that IBs recruit from there, but i had always felt that UCL economics was safer.

ReputationRep:
    Please Imperial students don't attack me...

I've met more UCL economics graduates in front office than Imperial students with any degree.

But...I think it has more to do with interest than ability.

ReputationRep:
    for IB, Imperial Maths if u love maths. If you are unsure how much u like maths and want a middle ground to IB, go for UCL econ. Imperial engineering is top notch, but aint the straighter way to IB unlike the other two options.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks guys...i just realised there is a huge thread dedicated to this uni topic...sorry...dont want to annoy anyone

ReputationRep:
    Either, then you have to differentiate yourself from the rest of the candidates, which is the hard part.

ReputationRep:
    A good grade in either would be fine. Pick your course based on interest.

ReputationRep:
    100% Imperial. Imperial is a MUCH better school and engineering/maths are so useful b/c of the derivative and structuring world. Structurers these days pull down more than a lot of top corp fin guys with 10 yrs experience.

There are fewer Imperial grads around (there are still a lot) b/c they get very cool other job offers like working for Formula one etc.

Definitely go to Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    haha.. I beg to differ..

Do you want to go to a university or to nerd central with no student social life but work. or

do you want to go to UCL where you can have a great balance between Work and Student Social Life and better networking capabilities with the TOP IB's. being in IB is not all about being a nerd, its about being an allrounded person who is also smart. UCL will give you this. Imperial will not. (also ive heard the guy/girl ratio is about 15(nerds)/1 girl..

Definitely go to UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrithik)
    hey, i dunno if this topic has come up much before but which would be better for IB economics at UCL or math (or engineering) at Imperial. i am asking because it seems that Imperail ranks better than UCL and people have mentioned that IBs recruit from there, but i had always felt that UCL economics was safer.
    Why don't you try those courses at LSE? There are a number of courses at LSE that are suitable, aside from Economics which is a bit hard to enter.

Anyway, EEE or CS is hard-core and you should only attempt (if you get and meet the offer) if you are definitely very committed and can survive the course. You should not do them for the sake of entering IB, and find yourself struggling to complete the circuit board or computer program at 3.30 am in the cold winter morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econ4m1t)
    haha.. I beg to differ..

Do you want to go to a university or to nerd central with no student social life but work. or

do you want to go to UCL where you can have a great balance between Work and Student Social Life and better networking capabilities with the TOP IB's. being in IB is not all about being a nerd, its about being an allrounded person who is also smart. UCL will give you this. Imperial will not. (also ive heard the guy/girl ratio is about 15(nerds)/1 girl..

Definitely go to UCL
    Econ4m1t is from UCL Economics. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    haha.. I beg to differ..

Definitely go to UCL

Hmm, it's likely imperial is a bit more nerdy, but in terms of IB, I would pick Imperial - it's a better education for sure (which does matter) and you'll have the Imperial name behind you for the rest of your life - it's much more valuable than UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rboogie)
    100% Imperial. Imperial is a MUCH better school and engineering/maths are so useful b/c of the derivative and structuring world. Structurers these days pull down more than a lot of top corp fin guys with 10 yrs experience.

There are fewer Imperial grads around (there are still a lot) b/c they get very cool other job offers like working for Formula one etc.

Definitely go to Imperial.
    What do you mean by the underlined parts?

Also, is it better for a engg/CS grad with an aspiration for IB to work for a top engineering firm (eg IBM, Google) first upon graduation? I am thinking that you can get into IB from an engg firm but the reverse it harder because for engineering the skill set required tends to be very specific and technical (like IB places can be filled by people from a variety of degrees but electrical engg jobs can only be filled by EEE grads, for example.)

ReputationRep:
    rboogie, incidentally, which university were you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencer11111)
    What do you mean by the underlined parts?

Also, is it better for a engg/CS grad with an aspiration for IB to work for a top engineering firm (eg IBM, Google) first upon graduation? I am thinking that you can get into IB from an engg firm but the reverse it harder because for engineering the skill set required tends to be very specific and technical (like IB places can be filled by people from a variety of degrees but electrical engg jobs can only be filled by EEE grads, for example.)

These days, products have become a bit more complicated and a strong maths background is becoming more valuable. Most of the top structurers are engineers b/c they can handle the maths associated with derivatives. Structurers with 10 years experiences can make more than the top corp fin guys with 10 years experience.

Working for engineering firm and then IB - I don't know enough in this area to make that assessment, but engineers make great semis analysts.

I went to LSE.

ReputationRep:
    yes but it all depends on what this guy wants to do.. IB is big.. and if he wants to do Corporate Finance then Economics at UCL is much better ..if he wants to do Trading - imperial would be a better course because by the time he/she will; graduate, algo trading will be taking over..

but no way in hell would i ever pick imperial over UCL for anything.. i'd rather do ART at UCL than engineering at Imperial..

You only get to do your degree once(barring postgrad lol) ... dont waste this opportunity by going to imperial over UCL.. that would be just ridiculous..

and if you need figures..

there are 12 students from UCL this Summer interning at Goldman Sachs just in the FICC/Equities Trading Division..

UCL UCL UCL.. ur choice but if you do pick imperial, 4 months into your uni life you would be regretting it ..just waiting and hoping for the 3/4 years of your degree to end!

ReputationRep:
    yes but it all depends on what this guy wants to do.. IB is big.. and if he wants to do Corporate Finance then Economics at UCL is much better ..if he wants to do Trading - imperial would be a better course because by the time he/she will; graduate, algo trading will be taking over..

but no way in hell would i ever pick imperial over UCL for anything.. i'd rather do ART at UCL than engineering at Imperial..

You only get to do your degree once(barring postgrad lol) ... dont waste this opportunity by going to imperial over UCL.. that would be just ridiculous..

there are 12 students from UCL this Summer interning at Goldman Sachs just in the FICC/Equities Trading Division..

UCL UCL UCL.. ur choice but if you do pick imperial, 4 months into your uni life you would be regretting it ..just waiting and hoping for the 3/4 years of your degree to end!
    I totally disagree, Imperial is not nerd central and yes I agree that the social life at UCL may be better, but Imperial isn't as bad as you make it out to be. Yes the union may not be very good at Imperial, but there is a lot more to uni life than the union.

Also with regards to your comment about IB networking, top IBs are always at Imperial trying to recruit. UCL isnt even in the top five unis for IB and I think you'll find that Imperial is.

I do agree with your comment about corporate finance and IBD though, and for those roles, they are a lot closer, but for the more quantitative roles, I have to say Imperial is way ahead.

ReputationRep:

What gives you a better education? UCL or Imperial? Hands down Imperial.

Structuring, derivative trading and quant work is immune to algo box (which I don't totally accept, but say we do) - according to you, the UCL students are working in a division that will soon be replaced by the box - congrats to them.

Get a better education, that'll serve you better in the long run regardless of what you do.

ReputationRep:
    The same logic applies in the US. Wharton is better represented on wall st, but would you take it over MIT? of course not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rboogie)
    These days, products have become a bit more complicated and a strong maths background is becoming more valuable. Most of the top structurers are engineers b/c they can handle the maths associated with derivatives. Structurers with 10 years experiences can make more than the top corp fin guys with 10 years experience.

Working for engineering firm and then IB - I don't know enough in this area to make that assessment, but engineers make great semis analysts.
    Just curious: you mentioned engineers twice here. I am aware that for the roles you mentioned, maths skill is important, and engineers have it of course. But why not you mention physics or maths students? Is it because engineering maths is more suited to derivatives and structured produces than maths maths or physics maths?

ReputationRep:
    To the OP: this is the diff between Imperial and UCL... (From Times Careers)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle582762.ece
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...icle704470.ece

What’s the university’s academic record like?
    Entry requirements at Imperial are the UK’s toughest and the average entry tariff is currently 520 (four Grade As at A-level equals a UCAS tariff of 480). Degree standards are notoriously high too and just 60 per cent of last year’s graduates achieved a first or a 2:1, significantly fewer than the 84 per cent who were awarded top class degrees at Oxbridge.

Career aspirations and expectations?
    Even though most of Imperial’s undergraduates do technical or scientific courses, more than half of 2005 finalists applied for lucrative jobs in banking or consulting. As a result, fewer than two-thirds of those studying engineering planned to work as engineers. Starting salary expectations were the highest of any UK university, at £25,000, and a third of graduates anticipated at least £30,000 for their first job.
    What’s the university’s academic record?
    UCL is consistently ranked among the UK’s top ten universities by The Times Good University Guide and is in sixth place in the latest edition. New undergraduates begin their studies with an average of at least three grade As at A level and last year three quarters of finalists achieved a first or 2:1 degree.

Career aspirations and expectations?
    Life in the capital clearly suited many UCL students — more than 70 per cent wanted to work in London after graduation. The most sought-after career sectors were investment banking, the media, teaching, research and development and law. Financial expectations were high — new graduates anticipated average starting salaries of almost £21,000 and hoped to be earning nearly £45,000 within five years.
    Also, the OP can consider Warwick aside from Imp/LSE or UCL. It is a good university.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.