Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Apart from the diving pool turning green! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    how did the pool turn green? I literally just found out now.

ReputationRep:
    The TSR support team not being able to write grammatically correct thread titles...

Jokes aside, it will be rememberED for having taken place in a country that is simply not worthy of hosting this (or any other major) event - crime, poverty, inequality, corruption, environmental pollution and exploitation, and the general lack of sustainability are at unacceptable levels in this country and at these games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    Loads of explanations have been given by the organisers and divers, no-one really seems to be sure.

Most likely one seems to be dye from those green hoardings next to where the divers get out of the pool washing off into the water.

ReputationRep:
    dropping the French gymnast's stretcher after he broke his leg :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    For being a shambolic games.

Messed up accomodation, athletes and journalists being robbed

Soldier shooting a bullet through the international press box

The poorest attendances of any Olympics I can remember watching

But the green pool sums it all up.

I have a friend who's been a lifeguard for one year at a leisure centre in suburban London. Not an sports facility manager for the biggest sporting event one Earth. He looked at it and said "not enough chlorine". Lo and behold, 3 days later, the Brazilian admin come out with some line about a chemical imbalance that neutralised the cholrine in the pool, turning it into a swamp. So a 20 year old with a years experience knows what the problem is, but the Rio organisers can't fix it?

Mistakes happen all the time - there's no problem with that. The issue is that once it happened, it took them days to find out what it was and sort it.
    As soon as events had finished for the day, they should have either drained the pool, or got the recipe right - instead, after a week, it was still greenish. It's total amateur hour. If that's how they're sorting the things you can see - can you imagine the things you can't?

ReputationRep:
    Surely this?

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    I heard it was someone putting too much bleach into the pool.

ReputationRep:
    them trying to run a hurdles event while the track was wet

ReputationRep:
    Rampant poverty on a nation wide scale and a public on the brink of civil uprising.

ReputationRep:
    Great Britain historically winning every gold from day 12 onward to easily overcome the US and everyone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    For being a shambolic games.

Messed up accomodation, athletes and journalists being robbed

Soldier shooting a bullet through the international press box

The poorest attendances of any Olympics I can remember watching

But the green pool sums it all up.

I have a friend who's been a lifeguard for one year at a leisure centre in suburban London. Not an sports facility manager for the biggest sporting event one Earth. He looked at it and said "not enough chlorine". Lo and behold, 3 days later, the Brazilian admin come out with some line about a chemical imbalance that neutralised the cholrine in the pool, turning it into a swamp. So a 20 year old with a years experience knows what the problem is, but the Rio organisers can't fix it?

Mistakes happen all the time - there's no problem with that. The issue is that once it happened, it took them days to find out what it was and sort it.
    As soon as events had finished for the day, they should have either drained the pool, or got the recipe right - instead, after a week, it was still greenish. It's total amateur hour. If that's how they're sorting the things you can see - can you imagine the things you can't?
    Makes you feel proud to be British doesn't it? That our Olympic games were quite a bit less **** than Rio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I heard it was someone putting too much bleach into the pool.
    I heard it was the wrong bleach, someone dumped in hydrogen peroxide which oxygenated the water and stimulated green algae.

---
    Main things I'll remember
    That cyclist skidding off on a dangerous bend, somersaulting into a stone wall and breaking her spine... organisers hadn't put straw bales or anything down.

watching the spectators turn around as the atheletes went past to take selfies

muggings of atheletes and officials

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.