Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected from Oxford last year, but as I've gotten fairly decent results, I've been considering reapplying. However, it would mean turning down offers from fairly highly-ranked unis. From what I've read, a fair amount (although I know reapplicants have no specific advantage) of people have reapplied successfully. I was just wondering whether or not any one who has reapplied to Oxford (successfully or not) also did so for unis that had previously given them an offer, and whether or not these reapplications were also successful? I would probably reapply to some of the same unis I had applied to last year, so I was just wondering about people's experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whippersniffer)
    I was rejected from Oxford last year, but as I've gotten fairly decent results, I've been considering reapplying. However, it would mean turning down offers from fairly highly-ranked unis. From what I've read, a fair amount (although I know reapplicants have no specific advantage) of people have reapplied successfully. I was just wondering whether or not any one who has reapplied to Oxford (successfully or not) also did so for unis that had previously given them an offer, and whether or not these reapplications were also successful? I would probably reapply to some of the same unis I had applied to last year, so I was just wondering about people's experiences.
    My friend reapplied successfully for Oxford this year and to other universities they'd turned down last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvasiveRose)
    My friend reapplied successfully for Oxford this year and to other universities they'd turned down last year.
    Thanks for the response and insight If you don't mind me asking - do you happen to know her course and/or any of the other unis she got into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whippersniffer)
    Thanks for the response and insight If you don't mind me asking - do you happen to know her course and/or any of the other unis she got into?
    Philosophy and Theology was her course. She successfully applied to UCL and King's both times and she also applied successfully to Durham (a new choice) the second time round. Don't remember the rest, sorry!

A gap year is a hard decision and sadly there's no guarantee that you'll be successful with Oxford the second time round either. If you do decide to take one, I'd recommend not basing its success or worth solely on getting it Ox. Perhaps take some time to find out if your course is right for you, research other universities, work, etc. (You may already be doing this, sorry if I'm most likely just assuming )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvasiveRose)
    Philosophy and Theology was her course. She successfully applied to UCL and King's both times and she also applied successfully to Durham (a new choice) the second time round. Don't remember the rest, sorry!

A gap year is a hard decision and sadly there's no guarantee that you'll be successful with Oxford the second time round either. If you do decide to take one, I'd recommend not basing its success or worth solely on getting it Ox. Perhaps take some time to find out if your course is right for you, research other universities, work, etc. (You may already be doing this, sorry if I'm most likely just assuming )
    Thanks for the response and info - I appreciate it. And for me, Oxford would still just be a sort of 'reaching' option, and I still see a lot of benefit in a gap year. I'm more worried about what to do if I don't receive offers from other good universities haha. Thanks again for the advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.