Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you find it easier to learn on your own than having a teacher?

What would be your advice to people that are going to try it?

Do you feel there's any benefits to self-teaching it than the traditional classroom setting?

Why did you decide to self-teach it?

Has it changed you in anyway?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    Yes. After self-teaching FP3 I have become immortal. 10/10 would recommend.

ReputationRep:

Do you feel there's any benefits to self-teaching it than the traditional classroom setting?

1)Much easier!
    2)Make sure you get good resources....the best book i think is the CGP TEXTBOOK (rap is like £13.99 per book) they make a textbook for each module, don't get the revision guides that have like 4 modules in 1 book. That CGP textbook is gold....but if you don't understand something from there try exam solutions if still unsure consult a teacher (but this is very rare)
    3)Yes: you can go at your own pace, you can practice till you are perfect, you can make a good schedule of when to revise and do past papers.
    4)Because i learn better from self teaching, i felt i wouldn't pick up everything in the classroom, a level maths is a tough subject, so trust me just doing classroom work may not be enough to even secure a C!
    5) not really, i just made me get good grades (A* for GCSE and A for AS level, but still waiting on A2 result)

ReputationRep:
    In answer to your questions:

Yes, provided that I could find all the necessary information myself

Advice would be to not be afraid of spending hours on something, and not giving up because you're struggling to get your head around concepts. It comes to you in time provided you do the work.

I would say if you're not happy with the quality of teachers available, or maybe if you're top of the class and feel like you're being held back. I'd recommend doing plenty of self-learning even if you're having taught lessons as well, because it's one of the best ways to revise things and realise your strengths and weaknesses.

I self-taught because that appeared to be the way I learned best, strangely enough. Plus some of my teachers were pretty useless so I had nothing to lose.

It's definitely made me more independent with learning and I feel more able to find my ways around new and difficult problems, whereas otherwise I would've just been depending on the teacher for help. I'm sure these skills will come in handy for university especially.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:

Well I essentially self-taught. Our Maths teacher was very hands-off and I went ahead for a lot of AS and all of A2 anyway, and in Further Maths I had some infrequent lessons but they weren't particularly helpful so it was mostly self-teaching.

Yes, it was largely easier for me to learn on my own. But I'd say that's primarily down to the abundance of resources. The edexcel textbooks are of high quality and I had examsolutions for when something confused me.

I'd say if you have a choice of exam board make it Edexcel due to the textbooks as mentioned above. Otherwise, don't waste too much time on repetitive and easy textbook questions, spend some time playing around with the maths and think about it a bit rather than solely ploughing through questions, do past papers multiple times (but save some for close to exam time), including timed ones, and mark yourself (familiarise yourself with the mark schemes to get a sense of what kind of stuff gets you method marks).

Yes, you can go at your own pace; everything can be tailored to you. Of course this depends on the individual and some less mathematically inclined students or less motivated students will benefit from the classroom setting.

During Maths AS class was going rather slow and I wanted to "prove" myself worthy of Further Maths (I wasn't really sure how one went about getting entered for it in my crappy school) so I intensified work and ended up going ahead and just learning stuff by myself. For Further Maths I pretty much had to, my school doesn't timetable it.

I think it improved my capacity to self-motivate and self-teach which was useful for first year uni.

(Original post by RDKGames)
    Yes. After self-teaching FP3 I have become immortal. 10/10 would recommend.
    So you can wreck STEP exams now?

(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Well I essentially self-taught. Our Maths teacher was very hands-off and I went ahead for a lot of AS and all of A2 anyway, and in Further Maths I had some infrequent lessons but they weren't particularly helpful so it was mostly self-teaching.

Yes, it was largely easier for me to learn on my own. But I'd say that's primarily down to the abundance of resources. The edexcel textbooks are of high quality and I had examsolutions for when something confused me.

I'd say if you have a choice of exam board make it Edexcel due to the textbooks as mentioned above. Otherwise, don't waste too much time on repetitive and easy textbook questions, spend some time playing around with the maths and think about it a bit rather than solely ploughing through questions, do past papers multiple times (but save some for close to exam time), including timed ones, and mark yourself (familiarise yourself with the mark schemes to get a sense of what kind of stuff gets you method marks).

Yes, you can go at your own pace; everything can be tailored to you. Of course this depends on the individual and some less mathematically inclined students or less motivated students will benefit from the classroom setting.

During Maths AS class was going rather slow and I wanted to "prove" myself worthy of Further Maths (I wasn't really sure how one went about getting entered for it in my crappy school) so I intensified work and ended up going ahead and just learning stuff by myself. For Further Maths I pretty much had to, my school doesn't timetable it.

I think it improved my capacity to self-motivate and self-teach which was useful for first year uni.
    My exam board is going to be Edexcel . Are you talking about this textbook?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    So you can wreck STEP exams now?
    Nah, I just don't die. So perhaps in 100 years I'll wreck them.

ReputationRep:
    My exam board is going to be Edexcel . Are you talking about this textbook?
    Yeah the textbooks of that type. They're all you need really aside from past papers (reviews speak for themselves lol). They're probably floating around in livetext form for free somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, teachers usually waste a lot of time trying to go over trivial things, bores you out of your mind and unfocuses you. You have to follow their pace, do what work they set, etc... whereas if you self teach, you can do it at your own (much faster, usually) pace, do what work interests you, etc...

I dunno, just do it? Maybe, don't bother with wasting money on textbooks, just use examsolutions, google and past papers.

Answered in first question.

Quit school, didn't have teachers. Was a waste of money getting tutors/teachers to teach you something that was easily done in a much more efficient way by yourself.

I dunno, probably?

ReputationRep:

MATE every time i self teach myself i always get at least A's in exams (GCSE and some alevel modules). I find teachers really unhelpful. Especially when they give me h/w that benefits me NOT

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm just here to give out free rep. Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.