The Student Room Group

Gap Year To Australia

I'm just about to go into year 13. And I don't have much of an idea of what I want to do in the future. Due to this I feel going to uni in a years time might not be the best idea for me.
So I was thinking of a gap year. I could work out there, build up experience and earn money etc.
I've read about them online but I'm unsure of a few things. I was wondering if anyone can give me any useful info, whether you just know about them or have been to Australia on a gap year yourself. Some things I'm wondering about are, is it really expensive to do it? Are there ways in which I could do it through a gap year project then I get job help and help with other things etc. But not have accommodation? as I have people out there I could stay with.

I'm new to this and was just wanting people's thought and opinions to see if it would be something worth doing.
Original post by Wild__1
I'm just about to go into year 13. And I don't have much of an idea of what I want to do in the future. Due to this I feel going to uni in a years time might not be the best idea for me.
So I was thinking of a gap year. I could work out there, build up experience and earn money etc.
I've read about them online but I'm unsure of a few things. I was wondering if anyone can give me any useful info, whether you just know about them or have been to Australia on a gap year yourself. Some things I'm wondering about are, is it really expensive to do it? Are there ways in which I could do it through a gap year project then I get job help and help with other things etc. But not have accommodation? as I have people out there I could stay with.

I'm new to this and was just wanting people's thought and opinions to see if it would be something worth doing.

Hi there!

Gap years can be a great opportunity to take a breather and figure out what your next move is-don't worry, you're not alone!

What kind of work would you be wanting to undertake on a gap year? What time of year would you be wanting to go?

In terms of cost, Australia isn't the cheapest country to live in, but if you have accommodation then that will be a great money saver. Cost of living is higher, but so are wages, so it's all relative.

Australia is a great place to travel to and there are so many incredible natural and cultural contrasts to the UK that are unmissable for anyone with an explorers eye and a travel bucket list.

Is your heart set on Australia, and for using your gap year specifically for finding work?

Any more questions, please let me know. Always here to help!

Happy travelling,

Mariah

Mariah Mathew
Topdeck Travel
www.topdeck.travel
Hey!

I'm planning on going out there too, probably around Oct/Nov 2017.

I was wondering how much is suggested to take with you before you're set up? I'm going to be working fulltime after my exams end in late June but will still be on limited funds, would you suggest a travel company is cheaper or doing it alone?

As far as accomodation, how easy is it too find? I know there are youth hostels but I think I'd rather stay in a shared flat, are they easily available?

Thank you :smile:

Original post by Topdeck Travel
Hi there!

Gap years can be a great opportunity to take a breather and figure out what your next move is-don't worry, you're not alone!

What kind of work would you be wanting to undertake on a gap year? What time of year would you be wanting to go?

In terms of cost, Australia isn't the cheapest country to live in, but if you have accommodation then that will be a great money saver. Cost of living is higher, but so are wages, so it's all relative.

Australia is a great place to travel to and there are so many incredible natural and cultural contrasts to the UK that are unmissable for anyone with an explorers eye and a travel bucket list.

Is your heart set on Australia, and for using your gap year specifically for finding work?

Any more questions, please let me know. Always here to help!

Happy travelling,

Mariah

Mariah Mathew
Topdeck Travel
www.topdeck.travel
Hey! I'm also planning on going to Australia in my gap year, I'm hoping to work from June to February so I can save and get applying to uni/interviews sorted, then backpack around Australia for around a month in April/February time! I'd love to do it with someone if anyone has a similar idea!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by shionaluke
Hey!

I'm planning on going out there too, probably around Oct/Nov 2017.

I was wondering how much is suggested to take with you before you're set up? I'm going to be working fulltime after my exams end in late June but will still be on limited funds, would you suggest a travel company is cheaper or doing it alone?

As far as accomodation, how easy is it too find? I know there are youth hostels but I think I'd rather stay in a shared flat, are they easily available?

Thank you :smile:

Hi, I'm looking at going Feb 2018.. it is said you need to prove you have access to at least 5000 AUD to show you can sustain yourself but no evidence of anyone being asked to prove it. It's just something to keep you going until you find a job really.

After that, it all depends what you want to do and how expensive you want to make it. Australia is meant to be expensive but wages are also high to offset it. You can get regional work which often includes accommodation and meals and you need to do at least 3 months if you want to apply for a second year visa.

As for accommodation you can look for roomies to share with and share rent for a place and have a private room but this will be more expensive than a hostel but depends how much a private rooms means to you.

I would suggest have a look at doing an intro week with someone like ultimate travel as it gives you a good first week in Oz to settle in and can also make some good friends you can go on to share a place with. They also help you set up bank accounts, help finding a job and place to stay etc
There are so many things you can do on a gap year in Australia but I guess it really depends on what appeals to you. Lots of people fly into Sydney then travel the East Coast which is spectacular. Australia is really expensive thought especially with our current exchange rate so if you want to keep costs down apply for a working holiday in Australia so you can work whilst you are over there and fund travels. If you want to visit and see the highlights you might want to search Australia tours which are more expensive than going backpacking but includes accommodation. Just go, Aus is amazing!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Imogen1208
Hey! I'm also planning on going to Australia in my gap year, I'm hoping to work from June to February so I can save and get applying to uni/interviews sorted, then backpack around Australia for around a month in April/February time! I'd love to do it with someone if anyone has a similar idea!

Ive came to the same conclusion of taking a gap year and perhaps looking to work in Australia for a few month. Im not ready for Uni so soon as im not to sure what I would like to study. please feel free to contact me.
Reply 7
Original post by Towerbliss13
Ive came to the same conclusion of taking a gap year and perhaps looking to work in Australia for a few month. Im not ready for Uni so soon as im not to sure what I would like to study. please feel free to contact me.

When do you plan on going?
I am also in the same boat as i have no clue on what i want to study in uni. this has resulted in taking a gap year. i have already applied and been accepted for my working holiday visa in oz and currently looking to fly over in august to start farm work in Perth. if anyone is interested in joining me feel free to hit me up and send a message.:hifro:
Reply 9
Hi my daughter is in exactly same boat as you were in 2017, shes booked a package to Sidney for sept this year ....would you be willing to correspond with her to offer any pointers, hope ur having a great time!

Quick Reply

Latest