The Student Room Group

"Disagreeing with homosexuality is not homophobic"

Scroll to see replies

Have we gone back a few centuries? Is this even an issue to be discussed. As a gay man coming from a devoutly Christian family, i am surrounded by people who quite frankly couldnt care less. I think people here focus far too much on other people than themselves. If you dont like it, ignore it, but don't make people think they are 'wrong' or that their lifestyle is something to be disagreed with. You cant disagree with something that exists, however if you do disagree and do voice your disagreements then that is a homophobic act. To belittle a group of people by voicing negative opinions is homophobic and to disagree with someones 'being' is always going to be discriminitive.
Some people are repulsed by two members of the same sex doing sexual activities or being intimate. They don't want to see it, they don't want to hear of it, and they don't want to be involved in it. Does that mean they have a deep hatred of homosexuals and wish death upon them? No.

Everyone has at least that one thing they are disgusted by or confused about. And guess? People are allowed to disagree with homosexuality as well. How is avoiding depictions of homosexuality and disagreeing with it affecting anyone's life?

Its like saying you have a different opinion than me and don't love homosexuality therefore its affecting me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SmileyVibe
Some people are repulsed by two members of the same sex doing sexual activities or being intimate. They don't want to see it, they don't want to hear of it, and they don't want to be involved in it. Does that mean they have a deep hatred of homosexuals and wish death upon them? No.

Everyone has at least that one thing they are disgusted by or confused about. And guess? People are allowed to disagree with homosexuality as well. How is avoiding depictions of homosexuality and disagreeing with it affecting anyone's life?

Its like saying you have a different opinion than me and don't love homosexuality therefore its affecting me.

No. No its not like that.

Thats like saying part of what you are disgusts me. That is where the reprecussions are. When someone says an aspect of your being disgusts them.

As i stated before. Got a problem. Get over it. And keep it to yourself. Theres no need to belittle someone because of such an outdated opinion.
Original post by dnr_23
homosexuals and practising homosexuals are different

Homosexuality is a state, not an activity. Disagreeing with homosexuality is like disagreeing with brown hair.*

You haven't shown why being repulsed by homosexuality isn't homophobic. All you've done is to try and excuse homophobia.*
Reply 85
Original post by a_bc
What are your thoughts, TSR?

It perhaps can't be called a phobia, but whilst ever you 'disagree' with homosexuality, you are anouncing that you don't acknowledge it as a valid form of sexuality.

In this regard, you are against it. And if you are against it, then you still hold negative beliefs in association with it.

This is where it gets difficult, because homophobia holds homosexuality in a negative light. In this respect, you are both resistant to the idea of freedom of sexuality and are likely to propogate that idea consciously or subconsciously around other people.

This, I believe, is not healthy for anyone, not least those who hold homophobic or aversive beliefs about homosexuals.
Does disagreeing with homosexuality mean:

a) I do not think that it is biologically natural that two people of the same gender can love each other, but I have no problem with people who do
b) I think homosexual acts are wrong?

I can see the latter being homophobic, but not the first one
Original post by Backtouni91
No. No its not like that.

Thats like saying part of what you are disgusts me. That is where the reprecussions are. When someone says an aspect of your being disgusts them.

As i stated before. Got a problem. Get over it. And keep it to yourself. Theres no need to belittle someone because of such an outdated opinion.

There's a difference between being disgusted by a homosexual and homosexuality.

You can enjoy the presence of a homosexual and appreciate them as a human being while not enjoying what they do or attracted to. You can like a person while not liking their preferences. For example, I like Bob and like being friends w/ Bob. I do not like Bob's fetish/ attractions.

That opinion really isn't as outdated as you think it is ... just because its 2016, it doesn't make a different opinion outdated b/c the majority believes in it.

How is not liking homosexuality belittling someone? I understand that people do belittle sometimes but how does not wanting anything to do homosexuality or liking = belittling someone?
Reply 88
I'm struggling to think of an example of somebody saying or doing something that demonstrates that they disagree with homosexuality... even 'I think homosexuality is wrong' - and for the example not to be something homophobic :s-smilie:
There's a difference between being disgusted by a homosexual and homosexuality.

You can enjoy the presence of a homosexual and appreciate them as a human being while not enjoying what they do or attracted to. You can like a person while not liking their preferences. For example, I like Bob and like being friends w/ Bob. I do not like Bob's fetish/ attractions.

That opinion really isn't as outdated as you think it is ... just because its 2016, it doesn't make a different opinion outdated b/c the majority believes in it.

How is not liking homosexuality belittling someone? I understand that people do belittle sometimes but how does not wanting anything to do homosexuality or liking = belittling someone?

Im afraid you're missing the point... again. The point is the voicing of the opinions. For example. You have a friend who is gay. You tell them part of their lifestyle disgusts you. That is the belittling and homophobic part.

And you keep using arguements that arent valid. For example if bob is into fetishes. A fetish is a choice. Therefore an opinion can be had. Being gay is not a choice. I think its so silly to liken the two.

As for the outdated part i think a bit of reading on gay rights is needed. We've come a long way in society, attitudes have changed dramatically and homosexuality is now seen as a social norm.

Once again the point is and will always be. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But once these opinions are forced upon people or voiced in a derogatory manner that is when discrimination comes into play.
Reply 90
Original post by Zargabaath
How tf can you disagree with homosexuality? It's a thing that happens, that's like disagreeing with gravity :lol:

This is exactly what I thought lol. What does "disagreeing" mean? Homosexuality is not an opinion...
A fetish is a choice. Therefore an opinion can be had. Being gay is not a choice. I think its so silly to liken the two.

...I wouldn't say fetishes/paraphilias are choices at all, after all who decides to be a dendrophile for instance? Especially if the attraction is so strong they cannot become aroused without it.
Original post by Another
Does disagreeing with homosexuality mean:

a) I do not think that it is biologically natural that two people of the same gender can love each other, but I have no problem with people who do
b) I think homosexual acts are wrong?

I can see the latter being homophobic, but not the first one

your first point is an example of a stupid person. How can they not believe that it is biologically natural that two people of the same gender can love each other when there are lots and lots of gay couples?
Reply 93
I am not excatly sure how you can "disagree" with homosexuality? Someone tells you they are gay and you reply "no, sorry I don't agree with that'? People like to make such a big deal out of it and don't realise that no matter what they do or say won't change the fact that gay people exist and won't disappear because Gary from Brighton doesn't agree with what the do. Homosexuality is something that does happen all the time and people have to acknowledge it instead of making opinions
Original post by jaffacakes101
your first point is an example of a stupid person. How can they not believe that it is biologically natural that two people of the same gender can love each other when there are lots and lots of gay couples?

I watched a youtube video not too long ago about a gay man who didn't think that lesbians exist. Dunno what goes through their minds :
This is interesting. Homophobia is defined as a fear or hatred of homosexuals. I guess it depends on WHY you disagree with it. I have heard people say they disagree with it because "it stops the advancement of humankind" (Can I just say, this is complete rubbish. Gay people make up such a small percentage of the population. They're not the cause of falling birthrates). Some people say it's "unnatural". I disagree with this; homosexuality is seen in many animals, and us humans are also animals (Before anyone disagrees with this, I'm sorry but this is true. We are mammals. We are therefore animals, albeit more intelligent than others). Some people disagree with homosexuality because "ZOMG IT IS AGAINST GOD!!!!! IT IS EV IL!!!!!!!! SINNERS!!!!!!!!!!" If that's the case then yes, I would say it is homophobic. However, if you disagree with homosexuality for the other reasons then I guess it isn't homophobic?

I'm not gay but if I was I personally wouldn't care what your views on it are, as long as you're not verbally or physically abusing me based on my sexual orientation then go ahead, disagree with it. You're free to think as you like.
Original post by NekoAngel13
I hate the word homophobic because most "homophobes" aren't actually scared of gay people.
There are some people that are scared of gay people. Most of those we call "homophobes" are just bigots.
Feel free to disagree with homosexuality, any part of LGBT community.
As much as their actions don't directly affect your life at all in any way feel free to have your thoughts and opinions.
But spewing hatred and vitriol, being abusive or discriminating, trying to deny people their rights, that's where I draw the line.

Original post by alevelstresss
Yeah they aren't the same thing, homophobic is where you are actively afraid of or hateful towards gay people, but many people who are straight disagree with gay people without venting their concerns in a hateful manner

Etymological fallacy...

Sorry that this is a semi-old post; I came across it, but people can quote that fallacy on you. A heads up... :wink:

Prepare a counterargument at least...
(edited 7 years ago)
Agreed
Sorry i just had to reply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Im afraid you're missing the point... again. The point is the voicing of the opinions. For example. You have a friend who is gay. You tell them part of their lifestyle disgusts you. That is the belittling and homophobic part.

And you keep using arguements that arent valid. For example if bob is into fetishes. A fetish is a choice. Therefore an opinion can be had. Being gay is not a choice. I think its so silly to liken the two.

As for the outdated part i think a bit of reading on gay rights is needed. We've come a long way in society, attitudes have changed dramatically and homosexuality is now seen as a social norm.

Once again the point is and will always be. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But once these opinions are forced upon people or voiced in a derogatory manner that is when discrimination comes into play.

actually i think fetishes are a very good analogy. it's just as ludicrous to claim they are a choice as it is to claim that gender-based sexual preferences are... sexuality is literally just a single type of sexual preference.
Do you disagree with black people too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending