The Student Room Group

Will i miss out not going to frshers?

I'm due to start uni next month and I feel like I'll miss out because I'm not going to freshers 😕 It's due to the fact I'm deaf and wear 2 hearing aids and I can only hear vibrations if I take them out I can't hear

Scroll to see replies

Why does that stop you going to fresher's? You could keep them in most of the time then when you're at a club put them in your pocket where they're safe and enjoy the music via the vibrations rather than the sound.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
Why does that stop you going to fresher's? You could keep them in most of the time then when you're at a club put them in your pocket where they're safe and enjoy the music via the vibrations rather than the sound.
with my hearing aids in that's all I'll be able to hear is vibrations and it makes me ill and then takes me days to recover from all of the vibrations and you go freshers to meet people if I took them out I physically cannot hear? So I don't really wanna spend all that money to stand the Conner not being able to hear music to get drunk 😂
Reply 3
No, but many people think that the only chance of making friends/having fun is during freshers week. You have at least 3 years, you'll find many other opportunities to have fun
Sounds like you have it worse than me. How come you're not able to hear people talk? I wear hearing aids and don't have that issue.
Brief a mate to speak via sign. I think that's really cool and you could maybe have more friends than everyone else cos it's unique.
Reply 6
Original post by ColossalAtom
Sounds like you have it worse than me. How come you're not able to hear people talk? I wear hearing aids and don't have that issue.
If I'm st clubs it's the noise people have to talk louder to me in general TBH hearing aids help a lot with them in but only in certain locations can you wear them in clubs?
Reply 7
If it makes you feel any better, the best friends I have from university are not the people I met in fresher's week and I didn't go to any clubs there. There will be alternatives as well, don't worry.*
Original post by Shann199730
If I'm st clubs it's the noise people have to talk louder to me in general TBH hearing aids help a lot with them in but only in certain locations can you wear them in clubs?

Honestly, it's too loud in clubs to be wearing hearing aids. I always have the setting to the lowest volume. I never need to adjust the volume.
I'm due to start uni next month and I feel like I'll miss out because I'm not going to freshers 😕 It's due to the fact I'm deaf and wear 2 hearing aids and I can only hear vibrations if I take them out I can't hear

Hello :smile:

Is there a reason you can't go to Freshers because of that? You could take your hearing aids with you or even still wear them - it shouldn't effect you too much. Freshers isn't just partying, clubs and what not - there are different events to take part in and it's basically a week long social - it's enjoyable!
Don't let yourself miss out - because i'd say you'll be missing out on the social aspects. Make sure you really think it through before you decide not to go altogether but like I've said, there are plenty of events you could still attend.
with my hearing aids in that's all I'll be able to hear is vibrations and it makes me ill and then takes me days to recover from all of the vibrations and you go freshers to meet people if I took them out I physically cannot hear? So I don't really wanna spend all that money to stand the Conner not being able to hear music to get drunk 😂

Ah ok. Stick to the pre-drinks and flat parties then, there will also be some mixers during freshers as well which you can go to and maybe try the non-drinking events?

The people who you really make friends with are your flatmates, neighbours, coursemates, society friends and later on people you meet at flat parties. So you'll be fine not going out to clubs.
Reply 11
Honestly, it's too loud in clubs to be wearing hearing aids. I always have the setting to the lowest volume. I never need to adjust the volume.

I'm on the quietest volume but still just hear vibrations 😴
Reply 12

I'm on the quietest volume but still just hear vibrations 😴
I won't be going to Freshers clubs, I don't really enjoy that sort of thing.

The university will have loads of other events on that won't involve drinking or clubbing. You have societies you can join at the Freshers fayre and people you'll meet through your course, so I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Pre drinks are where you really get to know people! Clubs are just a bit of extra fun :smile: besides, loads of people don't go to freshers, and they do still get on fine
There will be a ton of other things happening that you can do during freshers' week, I promise. I mean, apart from anything else your question here is basically 'will I miss out by not doing the thing where I'm unable to communicate and in massive physical discomfort' and honestly, not doing that doesn't sound like missing out to me! But, you'll have the chance to go along to other, more chilled-out events (which actually, some of your new flatmates may be interested in doing that and want to come along, too) so you don't have to just sit at home. What usually happens in freshers' week is, people meet and hang out for an evening, but then never actually see those people again and instead make friends over time with people from their flat/course/societies/sports teams. You aren't missing some fundamental thing. You may feel a bit out-of-everything to begin with, but actually that's normal and most people feel that way sometimes even if they go out every night.
Can you lip read? My friend who is deaf actually understands us better in clubs than everyone else because she can lip read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by LizzieTwoShoes
I won't be going to Freshers clubs, I don't really enjoy that sort of thing.

The university will have loads of other events on that won't involve drinking or clubbing. You have societies you can join at the Freshers fayre and people you'll meet through your course, so I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What uni you going to? I'm just scared as all my housemates are getting freshers tickets and I'm here like I don't really want to go no do I enjoy it! But thanks for th reply!
Reply 18
Original post by hermitthefrog
Can you lip read? My friend who is deaf actually understands us better in clubs than everyone else because she can lip read.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've tried but I'm still learning how to do it! But thanks for your help I think I'm going to try and do it
Reply 19
Original post by Persipan
There will be a ton of other things happening that you can do during freshers' week, I promise. I mean, apart from anything else your question here is basically 'will I miss out by not doing the thing where I'm unable to communicate and in massive physical discomfort' and honestly, not doing that doesn't sound like missing out to me! But, you'll have the chance to go along to other, more chilled-out events (which actually, some of your new flatmates may be interested in doing that and want to come along, too) so you don't have to just sit at home. What usually happens in freshers' week is, people meet and hang out for an evening, but then never actually see those people again and instead make friends over time with people from their flat/course/societies/sports teams. You aren't missing some fundamental thing. You may feel a bit out-of-everything to begin with, but actually that's normal and most people feel that way sometimes even if they go out every night.

Literally thank you so much for this was having doubts of me not having any friends because I'm moving 5 hours from my home! My flat mates have bought tickets for all the main events but I didn't want to buy them to go to leave after 5 minutes really

Quick Reply

Latest