I need two books to read.....

Watch
alicebrr
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Heeey!
So, I don't know if any of you have seen my other post, but I got no response so I thought that maybe because it isn't term time not many people are visiting the subject forums? Anyway, that isn't what I was going to say.

For my English A Level I have to do some coursework this year, and this includes reading two books of any genre, but one has to be published pre-2000 and one post-2000. Initially I was thinking travel writing, but I honestly have no idea what I would be expected to write about for that? So if you have any book recommendations that would be great. Oh, and the two books need to have similarities and differences, like I could choose two that focus on discrimination, but then they also need to have a difference....

Might I add, I am doing my own research, it's just handy to have some other people's ideas sometimes too

Thanks!
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd start with 50 Shades of Grey

Posted from TSR Mobile
alicebrr
Rep:
?
(Original post by UWS)
I'd start with 50 Shades of Grey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Somehow, I don't think my teachers would quite approve...
Gorillion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mein Kampf
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hobbit & Mein kampf
or harambes autobiography
xSarahSx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Two ideas based off some of my favourite books.

Discrimination against African-Americans
1. The Help- as maids
2. To Kill a Mockingbird- in the criminal justice system
Both are first person- The Help has three narrators (one white lady, two African Americans) and TKAM has one.

Discrimination against Women:
1. A Handmaid's Tale- dystopian, fictionalised, based on ideas of fundamental Christianity. Based in the USA
2. A Thousand Splendid Suns- Set across thirty or so years. Comes from traditions in an Islamic culture. Based in Afghanistan.
umar39
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Political instability
Servant of the Empire Series Raymond E. and Janny Wurts (1990)
Half of a Yellow Sun Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2006)
alicebrr
Rep:
?
(Original post by xSarahSx)
Two ideas based off some of my favourite books.

Discrimination against African-Americans
1. The Help- as maids
2. To Kill a Mockingbird- in the criminal justice system
Both are first person- The Help has three narrators (one white lady, two African Americans) and TKAM has one.

Discrimination against Women:
1. A Handmaid's Tale- dystopian, fictionalised, based on ideas of fundamental Christianity. Based in the USA
2. A Thousand Splendid Suns- Set across thirty or so years. Comes from traditions in an Islamic culture. Based in Afghanistan.

Thank you for these! I will look into them!
Brahmin of Booty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Atlas Shrugged

A Clockwork Orange
Brahmin of Booty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
PS Modern academia functions more like a Christian Church with a prevailing set of orthodoxies so best to stick to the reading which will make your teachers like you sooo

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Help
JM_1998
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tbh I'd avoid doing TKAM and The Help...
Exam board will probably look down on you for writing about The Help, and it's probably one of the most overdone comparisons - I think I answered a threat about this before - not sure if it was yours or someone else, but it rings a bell haha (I'll try and find it and edit it in)

For now, though I'd suggest looking at how a specific type of literary style has developed over the ages - modernism vs postmodernism perhaps, or even look at a writer whose work crosses over the 20th and 21st centuries // you could maybe do something along the lines of Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf vs The Hours by Michael Cunningham (latter was published 1998 though so this specific example isn't on the table) or another pair of books wherein one is a direct retelling/re-imagining of the other (cf. Hogarth Shakespeare series - if you want to push the boundary and analyse a play against a novel)
Nightcall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Satire:

American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.78%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.12%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.59%
I need help with my personal statement (80)
40.82%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (50)
25.51%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.53%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.65%

Watched Threads