Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heeey!
    So, I don't know if any of you have seen my other post, but I got no response so I thought that maybe because it isn't term time not many people are visiting the subject forums? Anyway, that isn't what I was going to say.

For my English A Level I have to do some coursework this year, and this includes reading two books of any genre, but one has to be published pre-2000 and one post-2000. Initially I was thinking travel writing, but I honestly have no idea what I would be expected to write about for that? So if you have any book recommendations that would be great. Oh, and the two books need to have similarities and differences, like I could choose two that focus on discrimination, but then they also need to have a difference....

Might I add, I am doing my own research, it's just handy to have some other people's ideas sometimes too

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'd start with 50 Shades of Grey

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I'd start with 50 Shades of Grey

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Somehow, I don't think my teachers would quite approve...

ReputationRep:
    Mein Kampf
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hobbit & Mein kampf
    or harambes autobiography

ReputationRep:
    Two ideas based off some of my favourite books.

Discrimination against African-Americans
    1. The Help- as maids
    2. To Kill a Mockingbird- in the criminal justice system
    Both are first person- The Help has three narrators (one white lady, two African Americans) and TKAM has one.

Discrimination against Women:
    1. A Handmaid's Tale- dystopian, fictionalised, based on ideas of fundamental Christianity. Based in the USA
    2. A Thousand Splendid Suns- Set across thirty or so years. Comes from traditions in an Islamic culture. Based in Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    Political instability
    Servant of the Empire Series Raymond E. and Janny Wurts (1990)
    Half of a Yellow Sun Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2006)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSarahSx)
    Two ideas based off some of my favourite books.

Discrimination against African-Americans
    1. The Help- as maids
    2. To Kill a Mockingbird- in the criminal justice system
    Both are first person- The Help has three narrators (one white lady, two African Americans) and TKAM has one.

Discrimination against Women:
    1. A Handmaid's Tale- dystopian, fictionalised, based on ideas of fundamental Christianity. Based in the USA
    2. A Thousand Splendid Suns- Set across thirty or so years. Comes from traditions in an Islamic culture. Based in Afghanistan.

Thank you for these! I will look into them!

ReputationRep:
    Atlas Shrugged

A Clockwork Orange

ReputationRep:
    PS Modern academia functions more like a Christian Church with a prevailing set of orthodoxies so best to stick to the reading which will make your teachers like you sooo

To Kill a Mockingbird

To Help

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I'd avoid doing TKAM and The Help...
    Exam board will probably look down on you for writing about The Help, and it's probably one of the most overdone comparisons - I think I answered a threat about this before - not sure if it was yours or someone else, but it rings a bell haha (I'll try and find it and edit it in)

For now, though I'd suggest looking at how a specific type of literary style has developed over the ages - modernism vs postmodernism perhaps, or even look at a writer whose work crosses over the 20th and 21st centuries // you could maybe do something along the lines of Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf vs The Hours by Michael Cunningham (latter was published 1998 though so this specific example isn't on the table) or another pair of books wherein one is a direct retelling/re-imagining of the other (cf. Hogarth Shakespeare series - if you want to push the boundary and analyse a play against a novel)

ReputationRep:
    Satire:

American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.