Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering how much under the word count of 1300 would people say is acceptable for a higher English folio piece?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I believe we were told around 700. But I found it hard to stay within the 1300 once I got started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidan.15)
    Hi, just wondering how much under the word count of 1300 would people say is acceptable for a higher English folio piece? Thanks.
    Hi. I sat Higher English in May and the advice from my teacher (SQA folio marker) was that although there is no lower limit, discursive essays should be about 1100+ and creative/personal essays could be as short as 800/900 words if making it longer would be to the detriment of the quality. Use these figures as guides but do not try and add in words just to get closer to the limit. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, spoke to my teacher today and she said anything over 1000 words should suffice for our creative essays, assuming they're of a high standard

ReputationRep:
    The official minimum is 700 - the recommended minimum around 900-1000; both my folio pieces for Higher were pushing the 1300 upper limit tbh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.