Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Had an incident with a cylcist while driving- Driving advice watch

ReputationRep:
    So basically I was driving and had a bit of an incident with a cyclist. I'm not that an experienced driver but I am normally cautious and careful. I haven't really had many scary situations since passing my test. This has got me worried. I was driving during a bit of a busy period and the cyclist was in front of me. I tried to overtake but misjudged the distance of oncoming traffic and obviously had to slow down and
    move closer towards the kerb to avoid a collision. In doing so I was obviously
    very close to the cyclist. He was understandably very angry that I had almost hit
    him. I put my hand up out the side of my window to show him that I was sorry and that I obviously didn't mean to give him a fright. My parents have told me not to worry about it and take it as a learning experience which will improve my road awareness in the future . I'm just worried that he may call
    the police or have videoed me or something as I have seen these videos online
    before. I obviously take full responsibility for the incident but I am just worried
    that they may take further action and I lose my licence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkmascaragirl)
    So basically I was driving and had a bit of an incident with a cyclist. I'm not that an experienced driver but I am normally cautious and careful. I haven't really had many scary situations since passing my test. This has got me worried. I was driving during a bit of a busy period and the cyclist was in front of me. I tried to overtake but misjudged the distance of oncoming traffic and obviously had to slow down and
    move closer towards the kerb to avoid a collision. In doing so I was obviously
    very close to the cyclist. He was understandably very angry that I had almost hit
    him. I put my hand up out the side of my window to show him that I was sorry and that I obviously didn't mean to give him a fright. My parents have told me not to worry about it and take it as a learning experience which will improve my road awareness in the future . I'm just worried that he may call
    the police or have videoed me or something as I have seen these videos online
    before. I obviously take full responsibility for the incident but I am just worried
    that they may take further action and I lose my licence.
    If nothing actually happened then you are not going to lose your license. Just be more careful. If there is oncoming traffic be patient and wait for it to pass before attempting to overtake.

ReputationRep:
    Treat cyclists as you would a car. *If there's not enough room to move into the other lane to overtake then you have to wait until there is. *I often see cars overtaking a cyclist leaving only a couple of feet between them which is a recipe for an accident IMO. *

If you do end up on YouTube then you haven't really got a defence. *It was bad driving, pure and simple. *You probably won't though, and the police aren't really going to care if you didn't actually make contact with him. *Just take it as a lesson and be more careful in future. **

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it. If he did video it and called the police the worst that could happen is they'd tell you to be more careful in future, most likely however, they'll ignore him.

Take it as a learning experience, nobody was hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I once had an encounter with a cyclist and it certainly was loaded up on youtube.

Been 2 years, so far nothing. I wouldn't worry about it and most cyclist are *****.

ReputationRep:
    If he has videod you then you are immediately absolved of all blame because he is most probably a self-righteous b-word who has probably done something in the not so distant past to deserve being almost hit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.