I need some advice on my uni application

Watch
shinebright
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
It's a bit complicated but let me simplify it.

I wanted to study medicine at uni but i didnt get any offers; i also applied to biomedical and managed to get a offer. But i dont want to be a scientist, i thought i would atleast end up with one medicine offer. Biomedical was just there it wasnt suppose to be left as my only option.
So i was thinking if i get AAA for my alevels (which i should) i might apply to optometry through adjustment . However, im also considering a gap year and reapplying to medicine next year. I havent fully decided yet.

I want you opinion on this plan -> Do you think it is a good idea to apply to optometry through adjustment so i have a back up and then if i do decide to do a gap year, i could withdraw from ucas.
charltd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

Bit of a complex one no?! I'm not a medic but a nurse myself, but I have some advice both as a mature student and having known someone in your predicament before.

A friend from my first university a few years back wanted to be a doctor but couldn't get on, so she did biomedical sciences and kind of enjoyed it, but secretly hated seeing the med students going to their lectures and not being with them. The good news is she is now doing a medicine conversion course and living her dream, but in the current climate I wouldn't recommend this move if you know, deep down, that you want to be a doctor. Medical schools would favour you hugely if they saw determination and patience in taking a gap year, rather than doing bio-med and not really enjoying it. As for the optometry idea, don't do it. You'll hate it, the course is barely linked to medicine, and if you really want to be a doctor I'd pretty much guarantee you'll drop out before the course wraps up in 3 years time. This will leave you in considerable debt, both with the NHS bursary and Student Loans, which may prevent you from doing a medical degree when the time would have been right.

So, my advice- get your results, do a gap year / work in the NHS as an administrator/ healthcare assistant, and apply again for medical school with your gap year work and your grades to back up a strong application.

Hope this helps.
shinebright
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by charltd)
Hi there,

Bit of a complex one no?! I'm not a medic but a nurse myself, but I have some advice both as a mature student and having known someone in your predicament before.

A friend from my first university a few years back wanted to be a doctor but couldn't get on, so she did biomedical sciences and kind of enjoyed it, but secretly hated seeing the med students going to their lectures and not being with them. The good news is she is now doing a medicine conversion course and living her dream, but in the current climate I wouldn't recommend this move if you know, deep down, that you want to be a doctor. Medical schools would favour you hugely if they saw determination and patience in taking a gap year, rather than doing bio-med and not really enjoying it. As for the optometry idea, don't do it. You'll hate it, the course is barely linked to medicine, and if you really want to be a doctor I'd pretty much guarantee you'll drop out before the course wraps up in 3 years time. This will leave you in considerable debt, both with the NHS bursary and Student Loans, which may prevent you from doing a medical degree when the time would have been right.

So, my advice- get your results, do a gap year / work in the NHS as an administrator/ healthcare assistant, and apply again for medical school with your gap year work and your grades to back up a strong application.

Hope this helps.

I thought about it and i agree with everything you said. I think i will go with the gap year. Thank you soo much for giving me all that advice, you saved me from a lot of worrying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads