Post University Depression

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I have recently graduated and feel so low, I recently had a job interview with a company who work in my field and the role was vaguely related to the things I want to do and the interview went majorly well and the man who ran the company was so nice to me and told me I would be good at the job. Then 5 days later I received an email saying I had not been successful. I am feeling pretty low at the moment as I have spend my degree studying in london and now I am returning my home town which is a small town in south wales. Im moving because I find London a bit too much for me and a bit stressful but there is a serious lack of arts jobs in Wales. I also feel incredibly inadequate when applying for 'real jobs' and also feel like they will not suit me as I certainly don't want to be sat down in an office all day. I am constantly applying for jobs but am getting majorly stressed out as I am every day being rejected by jobs that I could have easily secured before I went to university. Friends are telling me that they think its because I'm over qualified but I'm almost certain they are saying this to make me feel better. I know this may sound like I'm expecting too much but I just feel as if doing my degree has not put me in a better position for a job at all and now I feel like I'm taking major steps backwards which is making me massively depressed. Honestly I'm posting this just because I wanted to know if anyone else has a similar experience or if anyone has overcome this period and how.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are going through this. What did you study, and where, if you don't mind me asking? It's fine if you want to remain more anon you can just say the subject area or PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Def in the same position. I finished my masters last summer (2015) and have not secured a paid job since. I had an unpaid internship for 5 months earlier this year but thats it. Its extremely depressing, especially when you send off endless applications and have loads of interviews and seem to be getting nowhere. To be honest I know very few people from my masters course that have secured a proper graduate job, loads are doing voluntary work or casual work or part time jobs. There are such high numbers of people applying for graduate roles that its no surprise its not easy to be successful and its especially frustrating when you think your interview has gone well but you dont get offered the job. Iv lost count of the number of times iv heard the line you were a strong candidate but we offered the job to someone with more experience/better fit etc. The worst thing is that they never give feedback so its difficult to know how to improve, for all I know i could be making the same mistakes at every interview but im just not aware of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liv89)
    Hi, Def in the same position. I finished my masters last summer (2015) and have not secured a paid job since. I had an unpaid internship for 5 months earlier this year but thats it. Its extremely depressing, especially when you send off endless applications and have loads of interviews and seem to be getting nowhere. To be honest I know very few people from my masters course that have secured a proper graduate job, loads are doing voluntary work or casual work or part time jobs. There are such high numbers of people applying for graduate roles that its no surprise its not easy to be successful and its especially frustrating when you think your interview has gone well but you dont get offered the job. Iv lost count of the number of times iv heard the line you were a strong candidate but we offered the job to someone with more experience/better fit etc. The worst thing is that they never give feedback so its difficult to know how to improve, for all I know i could be making the same mistakes at every interview but im just not aware of them.
    Same situation except I have a bachelors and am considering a masters. What subject did you do? I am embarassed and angry at my lack of career because I'm in my latter 20s and need to get on with life. Everyone is passing me by and I can't stop panicking.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.