The Student Room Group

Subject Choice Help?

My friend has a dilemma about courses to do in S6. He emailed a uni asking whether to do Ah Chemistry or another higher (for studying chemistry at uni), and the response was in a nutshell that it didn't matter, as long as you got A grades. Which should he go with???
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
If it doesn't matter then your friend should just pick what they enjoy the most. That way they have a greater chance of success.
Original post by ElasticJane
My friend has a dilemma about courses to do in S6. He emailed a uni asking whether to do Ah Chemistry or another higher (for studying chemistry at uni), and the response was in a nutshell that it didn't matter, as long as you got A grades. Which should he go with???

Picking AH Chemistry will obviously prepare your friend more to study Chemistry at university level beforehand in school as AH Chemistry is almost equivalent to university level. Universities tend to like it when candidates have at least one Advanced Higher because it shows that the student is able to cope and engage in independent level of study and is able to handle copious amounts of coursework which is similar in the level and standard of university. So rather than taking any other random higher, I would definitely advise your friend to choose AH Chemistry as it will improve his/her application.
Reply 3
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Picking AH Chemistry will obviously prepare your friend more to study Chemistry at university level beforehand in school as AH Chemistry is almost equivalent to university level. Universities tend to like it when candidates have at least one Advanced Higher because it shows that the student is able to cope and engage in independent level of study and is able to handle copious amounts of coursework which is similar in the level and standard of university. So rather than taking any other random higher, I would definitely advise your friend to choose AH Chemistry as it will improve his/her application.

For some reason I can't give you a thumbs up but thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending