The Student Room Group

Not meeting targets

I work for a appliance repair company.. basically i book in repairs for customers with broken washing machines/fridges/cookers etc.

One of our targets is to take emails from customers, company targets are 75% of customers emails should be taken.

Im at 70% average and today my manager called me out infront of the whole staff in a meeting to ask me about this.. i felt so uncomfortable and sort of just ummed and aahed. I wantted to sink into a tiny little hole and never come out again.

I deal with a lot of old people who dont use emails and i feel this isnt a target I can really have control over. If they dont have an email i cant do much about hits.

Now on average I book around 100-130 repairs a week.. and I get around 70% emails in that week.
My other colleagues dont book as many calls and get 80% plus.. i said this to my manager that look i book more repairs therefore the numbers are skewed a little.. she said "No its a percentage, it doesnt matter how many they booked ur percentage is the lowest".. im at such a loss.. could she really be saying that a girl who books 40 calls and gets 80% emails is doing a better job than me? I feel so underappreciated at my work place.. I feel i should speak to my manager and let her know shes being a *****.. but Seriously i cannot control who has an email or who chooses to give it or not..

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Im sorry if grammar is bad..first post /loveme
Original post by jamielogan
I work for a appliance repair company.. basically i book in repairs for customers with broken washing machines/fridges/cookers etc.

One of our targets is to take emails from customers, company targets are 75% of customers emails should be taken.

Im at 70% average and today my manager called me out infront of the whole staff in a meeting to ask me about this.. i felt so uncomfortable and sort of just ummed and aahed. I wantted to sink into a tiny little hole and never come out again.

I deal with a lot of old people who dont use emails and i feel this isnt a target I can really have control over. If they dont have an email i cant do much about hits.

Now on average I book around 100-130 repairs a week.. and I get around 70% emails in that week.
My other colleagues dont book as many calls and get 80% plus.. i said this to my manager that look i book more repairs therefore the numbers are skewed a little.. she said "No its a percentage, it doesnt matter how many they booked ur percentage is the lowest".. im at such a loss.. could she really be saying that a girl who books 40 calls and gets 80% emails is doing a better job than me? I feel so underappreciated at my work place.. I feel i should speak to my manager and let her know shes being a *****.. but Seriously i cannot control who has an email or who chooses to give it or not..

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Im sorry if grammar is bad..first post /loveme

Targets are their rules, you have to play by their rules if you want to win. Work out what those that are meeting targets are doing differently to you and change to doing that. Or do you think that somehow all the email illiterate old folks are being channelled through to you?
I used to deal with the same shite when I sold insurance in a call centre as the targets were based on sales to call conversion rates. I used to make twice as many sales as some people working the same shifts but because they were taking less phone calls they had a higher conversion rate and were left alone.

I ended up just wasting time instead of working to raise my conversion rate. You need to work out how to manipulate the figures in your favour, if the company ends up getting less business as a result that's their problem.

Your manager also shouldn't be questioning you about it in front of other staff, it's extremely unprofessional.
Original post by JamesN88

Your manager also shouldn't be questioning you about it in front of other staff, it's extremely unprofessional.

No it's not, it's a perfectly legitimate way of opening a discussion about professional difficulties and getting the whole team to understand the importance of meeting targets and opening up discussions about solutions etc.
Original post by JamesN88
I used to deal with the same shite when I sold insurance in a call centre as the targets were based on sales to call conversion rates. I used to make twice as many sales as some people working the same shifts but because they were taking less phone calls they had a higher conversion rate and were left alone.

I ended up just wasting time instead of working to raise my conversion rate. You need to work out how to manipulate the figures in your favour, if the company ends up getting less business as a result that's their problem.

I agree. The target thing may seem a bit of an odd way of doing things and not making you look very good when you are doing more sales. But theres nothing you can do about the way the company does things- however odd their system may be. Manipulate the figures in your favour. If the comany loses business- its there problem and not yours- at least you will be keeping them happy by hitting the targets they set.
The manager shouldnt be questioning you and speaking to you like that in front of all your colleagues though- thats unprofessional. If your manager wanted to spesk to you, she should have done it alone- maybe in the office or something?? Id pull him/her up on that, and say that if she wants to speak to you and question you on stuff like that, then you would appreciate it if he/she did it in person rather than in front of everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest