Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Short of breath but not really watch

ReputationRep:
    This is very simple. For the past few weeks I have often felt short of breath.

But without actually being short of breath.

To elaborate, I can do anything I could do before without any difference whatsoever, and it is often when I think about my breathing that I start to feel somewhat short of breath. And then if I get my brain busy enough the feeling disappears as I focus entirely on other tasks.

Has anyone ever had that and do you have any tips to getting rid of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HawkEyeArcher)

To elaborate, I can do anything I could do before without any difference whatsoever, and it is often when I think about my breathing that I start to feel somewhat short of breath. And then if I get my brain busy enough the feeling disappears as I focus entirely on other tasks.

You sound like me, I've felt the same for the past 9 months, went to the doctors had chest X-ray which was clear and blood oxygen levels are at a 100%. Just keep yourself busy, i was told it was just anxiety

ReputationRep:
    I get the exact same thing every day because I have an anxiety disorder. It's usually worse in the morning for me, and like you if I manage to distract myself with other things it stops eventually. It's pretty annoying but I find that doing breathing exercises helps.

Try taking a slow, deep breath in through your nose, then holding it for 2-3 seconds, then slowly breathing out through your mouth. Do it a few times and it should help, and of course focus on other things

ReputationRep:
    Yep have this and anxiety so everything can spiral out of control into panic pretty easily. You're definitely right about staying busy/distracted! Keep up the good work

ReputationRep:
    I had this for about a month, it turned out I needed stronger asthma meds. My FEV, Peak Flow and FVC were all too low (if I remember right) but now I've been switched I feel much better.

Have you been checked for mild asthma, as you could find you need a blue inhaler

ReputationRep:
    I've never been asthmatic but I will go to the doctor to check me out just in case.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's reassuring! Despite that I don't know why I'd have anxiety other than because I don't know if I can breathe or not

(Original post by HawkEyeArcher)

Sounds like something I get sometimes. It's like my chest feels out of breath when i'm not actually having any issues with breathing. I've been given a few possible answers including anxiety, acid reflux, some bacteria in my stomach. Not sure what exactly it is for me but doctors were and are all to happy to check it out so I suggest you go see one to at least eliminate any worrying possibilities (asthma, allergies, chest infection etc). They'll probably check your blood pressuer and oxygen levels to start with to rule out things like asthma or heart problems. They will find it useful to know if anything triggers it too. For me I think it helped when I said it didn't happen when I exercise but does when I lay down. Also worth mentioning any medications or suppliments or any changes to lifestyle (new diet or exercise reigime).
    It may sound silly but next time you get it you might try using tumms or gaviscon. I think I might get it as a really mild version of heart burn or simmilar. I think it may bethat it's not bad enough to feel like pain so instead I feel it as tight chestedness or shortness of breath despite not breathing issues.

You might also think about any other symptoms you may have for any ptential causes. Any other indicators of anxiety or digestive issues for instance.

What you do to stop it will depend on what it is so it's worth talking to your doctor and trying a few targeted solutions to try to work out what it is. I think steaming is meant to help sinuses and breathing while things like mint are meant to aid digestion. There are also forms of umm... I guess meditation which could help if it were anxiety related (ranging from the classic "count to ten" to things like mindfullnes or yoga)

Good luck finding a cause and solution soon

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what happened to me as a child. Everytime I forgot about it I was fine. I think it's just anxiety because I'm the same way now except I can control things a lot more

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.