Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am planning on taking visual art at higher level next year, but I'm confused about how the course works. I saw someone mentioned projects and that you had to do over 10 of them! Is this true! and how do you pick the projects...are you given topics or make them up? How long do they have to be?

If anyone who knows about Visual Art could just help me understand what the course consists of, I'd be very grateful...plus maybe i could make a start on some art during the holidays as it sounds very time consuming...

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    im in my second year IB and i take VA at HL.... i think VA course is changing next year for HL.... double check it with your teacher

currently...the difference about SL and HL VA is the hrs of RWB and Studio work. atm...SL and HL are expected to do about 12 projects but if the course is going to be changed..the you're looking at around 20... (that is what i got told by my VA teacher)

regarding ideas of your projects. well...what you need to do is...have a THEME...only one theme...so then you explore your theme and represent your ideas connecting with your theme through your piece of artwork. this theme has to run through every piece of your work.

e.g my theme is 'myself' and all my artwork is related to myself... i.e. my culture, my philosophy, my emotion etc..

ReputationRep:
    *waits for Lc to show up*

No, really, midnit3owl answered most of your question.

How long do they have to be?
    Well put it this way, I had a friend who did VA HL who, in one weekend, completed 6 projects. But of course he was rushing it since it was like a couple of weeks before his exhibition. :p:

ReputationRep:
    i just did visual art hl and still dont really understand the idea of projects that everyone on here talks about. i was the first student at my school to do visual art so we may not have done it in the most conventional way but i did get a 7 so it cant have been too wrong.

i picked a theme and then created a series of pieces based upon it, in a very prohressive manner often ending up in a final piece. im a uk student so this is probably more like the a-level way but it seemed to go well. anyways i did the holocaust, music/sound and finally monotony and the london commute.

im sure there are many way in which the course can be done, although im quite sure as was the first person to reply that the syllabus is changin soon, but i think the most important thing is to show development and a progression throughout the 2 years.

besides that. i loved the course and was my favourite ib course, a lot of work but a welcome break from the academia. good luck

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.