The most impressive human civilisation ever?

Watch
Grand High Witch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My vote goes to the Ancient Egyptians or the Victorians.
Desi_Scotsman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mogul empire was quite fascinating.

Don't particular know about their on jurisprudence and law, but architecture-wise, they really stood out for me. To name a few famous monuments for me would be Taj Mahal, lahore fort, Humayun's Tomb and Badshai Masjid.
Docjones1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mid 20th Century USA - pretty much any modern civilisation tbh.
Make39kButNoHoes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
2016 africa
Docjones1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Make39kButNoHoes)
2016 africa
Name:  1360690004823.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  11.4 KB
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ancient Greece. Egypt did something amazing architecturally. Don't no much else about them.

But Greece is just a catalogue of genius. It includes much that humanity has regressed from since - in fact if Christianity and Islam hadn't have come along afterwards from the ME, the world would be far better off.

Pompous? Can't help thinking it's true though...
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ancient Greece. Egypt did something amazing architecturally. Don't know much else about them..

But Greece is just a catalogue of genius. It includes much that humanity has regressed from since - in fact if Christianity and Islam hadn't have come along afterwards from the ME, the world would be far better off.

Pompous? Can't help thinking it's true though...
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The most impressive, is of course, the current, but since an author of this threat meant historic civilisations, I would favour Ancient Greece, here is why:

-apart from ancient India, it's the only one that produced works about logic
-some of Greek philosophers neglected religious thinking with logical arguments, over 2000 years ago
-Greek philosphy created basics for modern science
-Some Greek philosophical works and theories have direct connections with modern science and are parially used. Anaximander and Parmenides for example, proposed basic laws of logic. Plato's theory of idea's is practically a modern understanding of laws of physics, and Arystotle's research on classyfication is one of progenitors eg. for programming.
-Aristarchus proposed the first know heliocentric theory. It had some flaws, but basic model was correct.
-Anaximander and Empedocles created a theory, built up on observation, that living organisms evolve, and that first forms of life lived in seas
-Heraclitus founded a hypothesis, that claimed (in my interpretation) universe is governed by rules or reason, created from energy, and exists in phases of expansion and collapse

Not to mention some of their impressive inventions, such as steam turbine, flamethrower (well, perhaps this one was imported from China), and the Antikythera mechanism, that can be treated as first example of analog, mechanical computer.

We also must consider, that more than 90% of Greek works were destroyed, so we don't really know, what else they could have discovered.

Also despite that most of their heritage was desroyed and neglected it surivived, and though in a very shallow way it is a part of our every day lives. Not only as part of science, but also, we are all using Greek works, know names of Greek gods, call many things with these names, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (595)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (729)
41.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (349)
19.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.51%

Watched Threads