Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The most impressive human civilisation ever? watch

ReputationRep:
    My vote goes to the Ancient Egyptians or the Victorians.

ReputationRep:
    Mogul empire was quite fascinating.

Don't particular know about their on jurisprudence and law, but architecture-wise, they really stood out for me. To name a few famous monuments for me would be Taj Mahal, lahore fort, Humayun's Tomb and Badshai Masjid.

ReputationRep:
    Mid 20th Century USA - pretty much any modern civilisation tbh.

ReputationRep:
    2016 africa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make39kButNoHoes)
    2016 africa
    Name:  1360690004823.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  11.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Ancient Greece. Egypt did something amazing architecturally. Don't no much else about them.

But Greece is just a catalogue of genius. It includes much that humanity has regressed from since - in fact if Christianity and Islam hadn't have come along afterwards from the ME, the world would be far better off.

Pompous? Can't help thinking it's true though...

ReputationRep:
    Ancient Greece. Egypt did something amazing architecturally. Don't know much else about them..

But Greece is just a catalogue of genius. It includes much that humanity has regressed from since - in fact if Christianity and Islam hadn't have come along afterwards from the ME, the world would be far better off.

Pompous? Can't help thinking it's true though...

ReputationRep:
    The most impressive, is of course, the current, but since an author of this threat meant historic civilisations, I would favour Ancient Greece, here is why:

-apart from ancient India, it's the only one that produced works about logic
    -some of Greek philosophers neglected religious thinking with logical arguments, over 2000 years ago
    -Greek philosphy created basics for modern science
    -Some Greek philosophical works and theories have direct connections with modern science and are parially used. Anaximander and Parmenides for example, proposed basic laws of logic. Plato's theory of idea's is practically a modern understanding of laws of physics, and Arystotle's research on classyfication is one of progenitors eg. for programming.
    -Aristarchus proposed the first know heliocentric theory. It had some flaws, but basic model was correct.
    -Anaximander and Empedocles created a theory, built up on observation, that living organisms evolve, and that first forms of life lived in seas
    -Heraclitus founded a hypothesis, that claimed (in my interpretation) universe is governed by rules or reason, created from energy, and exists in phases of expansion and collapse

Not to mention some of their impressive inventions, such as steam turbine, flamethrower (well, perhaps this one was imported from China), and the Antikythera mechanism, that can be treated as first example of analog, mechanical computer.

We also must consider, that more than 90% of Greek works were destroyed, so we don't really know, what else they could have discovered.

Also despite that most of their heritage was desroyed and neglected it surivived, and though in a very shallow way it is a part of our every day lives. Not only as part of science, but also, we are all using Greek works, know names of Greek gods, call many things with these names, etc.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.