Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I failed a module in my first year of uni and so had to resit the year, I have just finished the resit year and about to start second year but I want to do a year abroad next year, does anyone know if I'll be able to get student finance for this or not because I've already done an extra year? I'm not sure how many years you can get student finance for, I've seen some places say it's 5 years but others say it's the length of your course +1 so I'm really not sure.
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    Its course+1. I suppose it will be whether the year abroad will be counted as part of your course.
    If you had extenuating circs for resiiting that cuased the resit, then you could try and ask them to consider it was compelling personal reasons and should be disregarded for funding purposes.

    It's course length + 1.

    PhDs are post grad and can be funded elsewhere.
    Masters I think are included in the course length I'm fairly certain of this.
    As medicine has NHS funding after 4th year (so 5th year and beyond) so it would make sense that it's a MAXIMUM of 4 years, not including your sandwich or placement year which is usually considered paid employment really...

    The +1 is for repeat years and in case you decide to change what degree you want to do, you cannot use it towards a phd. I'm not sure if you're allowed to put it towards a pgce.

    So in essence 5 years at university (including sandwich) will see you pay nothing in fees.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.