Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have asked this question in this forum before but I was hoping for some more advice. The advice I got was superb, but I just wanted to be reassured.

As part of my university course we are required to go on a trip for 3 weeks to immerse ourselves fully in the language we are studying. I'm a first year student heading into second, my fellow colleagues/peers are lovely, but I feel as though they are all in cliques because they know each other. I don't go on uni nights out and they always go out together, therefore they know each other really well. I don't drink much, if anything and they're planning on going out most nights. I want to go with them and have a good time, but I don't feel as though I'll fit in.

Any advice on how to enjoy myself and get along with everyone, without feeling left out? I know this may seem like a high school dilemma but I've been worried about this for a while and as a result have convinced myself that I don't want to go when I actually want to. Thank you!!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PinkOwls)
    Hi!

I have asked this question in this forum before but I was hoping for some more advice. The advice I got was superb, but I just wanted to be reassured.

As part of my university course we are required to go on a trip for 3 weeks to immerse ourselves fully in the language we are studying. I'm a first year student heading into second, my fellow colleagues/peers are lovely, but I feel as though they are all in cliques because they know each other. I don't go on uni nights out and they always go out together, therefore they know each other really well. I don't drink much, if anything and they're planning on going out most nights. I want to go with them and have a good time, but I don't feel as though I'll fit in.

Any advice on how to enjoy myself and get along with everyone, without feeling left out? I know this may seem like a high school dilemma but I've been worried about this for a while and as a result have convinced myself that I don't want to go when I actually want to. Thank you!!
    In that situation the 'compromise' that I would make is to drink a bit and then head home, as someone who doesn't find nights out fun either. I've been on a few to see what it;s like (with a particular friendship group that enjoys this stuff), didn't like this but they appreciated that I tried (and still try to get me to go out :lol:) but if it's not you and it's out of your comfort zone then you're going to feel really awkward for many hours... and to me that is not worth it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.