Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im sorry if this seems really obvious but i got a letter this morning saying instead of starting on the 24 th sept we were now starting on the 22nd, and on the timetable it says that freshers induction is that weekend.......does that mean it doesn't last the whole week? does that mean we only have 2 days to settle in before lectures begin on monday 24th? also i thought you arrived a week before to settle in and get ready and prepared before lectures etc? also if induction starts on the saturday and only lasts for he weekend does it start at 9am or can people arrive whenever they want?
    really sorry if this seems dippy but was different to how i expected to start university (was looking at a week to settle in) and im really sorry if some of the answers seem really obvious
    Thank you to anyone that can help me understand lol

ReputationRep:
    lol, well they say it only lasts the weekend, but most subjects don't have any lectures until the end of the first week, and even then they're mainly fairly easy-going intros to the course. The only thing I remember having to do in the first week was registering the modules I wanted to do. I think there's a fair few random lectures on effective studying/computer/library use etc but they only take an hour out of the day and it's fairly brainless stuff!
    If you're not doing the Sports Week, then you can really arrive whenever you want - most people came on Saturday last year but a few arrived on the Friday before and Sunday. As for time, it doesn't really matter, obviously people travelling further will arrive later, you won't miss out on much if your not there first thing! Think I got there around midday.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Yup I was confused when I started as well.

Freshers starts on the Saturday, and events run until the Friday pretty much. However there is something going on at the Union every evening (so every week is like a freshers week, but with lectures!)

We normally get some crappy celebrities during freshers, last year we had Roy Walker (from Catchphrase), some shlag from Big Brother anddd that was it I think.

Go to all the events if you can, get a good taste of what you like/dislike. Comedy Works is especially good, £3 a ticket, bargain!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure on the letter I got it said we can't move in until 10am on the Saturday.... may be wrong though!

(Going down on the Friday, so will phone up to see if I can move in a day early.... otherwise I'm stuck in a B and B with my parents overnight )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you will be fine moving in a day early, you will just have to pay an extra few ££ that's all.

ReputationRep:
    There were a couple of people on my corridor on Friday, would've been nice I guess to meet everyone as soon as they arrived on Sat, but it'd be a bit strange being on a 22 person corridor on your own for those 24 hours, longer if you were doing sportsweek!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.