Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi hi hi,

Planning on applying for Law this year entry 2008, my definate choices unless I get a nasty shock on August 16th are

Cambridge (Queens, Jesus or Pembroke), Nottingham, Manchester and LSE however I know these are all touch unis to gain entry at as they want AAA or AAB I am predicted these results and I am 99.9% sure I can gain them however everyone says I should have a back up just in case at a BBB offer or ABB which unis would you recommend that would still offer good prospects after with training contracts etc I know Queens in london is quite low-ish....any help would be excellent.

Amy xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well there's no real NEED to have a uni which offers low. How about an AAA uni which is easier to get into? Somewhere like Leeds I think it's probably fair to say this about. Then there's places like Sheffield, as you say QM. However, if you're that certain to get all As how about just shooting all out and firing all top unis down (although try and get at least one non-LNAT becaus if you mess that up it can bugger you!).

ReputationRep:
    Dont apply to anywhere that you would not want to go to. Bristol give out mostly AAB offers, but they do use the LNAT and are competetive but if you did get accepted, could be a very useful insurance.
    I hear that Sheffield are often in clearing, no point applying.
    Leeds (as lewis said) is also a good choice
    Leicester maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for adding that actually, don't just pick an insurance for the sake of it. If you wouldn't be happy going there then don't bother. Odds on you'd be back on here in a few months saying "should I take a gap year" if it was the only offer you got, and most would say yes (especially if a mucked up LNAT was the only thing in your way, as marks for that kind of thing can fluctuate quite a lot!). Thanks again nayiseda.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds. Easy to get into - I got in with AS levels of AABCC.

AAA, but they accept General Studies.

Kent is a good insurance uni.

But like everyone else said if you dont want to attend a uni dont apply just to fill spaces or because the grades are lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nayiseda)
    Dont apply to anywhere that you would not want to go to. Bristol give out mostly AAB offers, but they do use the LNAT and are competetive but if you did get accepted, could be a very useful insurance.
    I hear that Sheffield are often in clearing, no point applying.
    Leeds (as lewis said) is also a good choice
    Leicester maybe?
    Sheff were in Extra, they were not in clearing(06), and this yr they've reduced the intake by almost a 1/3 to perhaps limit the possibilty of them having to go into Extra next yr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewisy-boy)
    Thanks for adding that actually, don't just pick an insurance for the sake of it. If you wouldn't be happy going there then don't bother. Odds on you'd be back on here in a few months saying "should I take a gap year" if it was the only offer you got, and most would say yes (especially if a mucked up LNAT was the only thing in your way, as marks for that kind of thing can fluctuate quite a lot!). Thanks again nayiseda.
    I thought you were talking about me there for a second!

I picked 2 "insurances", Reading and Sussex, for the sake of it with no intention of going to either. I then screwed up my LNAT and the only offer I got was LSE! So now I have no insurance at all! :p:

ReputationRep:
    When discussing universities in my family we affectionately had two separate terms: a "grade insurance" for a university with offers below AAA, and a "Sunderland" for a university that would be easier to get an offer from :p: It made explaining my decisions to parents that bit easier.

ReputationRep:
    Nice disparaging of Sunderland there, me likes.

ReputationRep:
    Made for some interesting conversations.

Mum: "So is Leeds Sunderland then?"
    Me: "Hmm... I'm not sure. Maybe it would be better to have a Sunderland that's also a grade insurance"
    Mum: "Yeah, but are you actually going to want to go to that Sunderland if it's both Sunderland and a grade insurance?"
    Me: "It depends what the Sunderland would be I guess. Suppose I said Leeds wasn't Sunderland, where would Sunderland be?"
    Dad: "WTF are you on about? Sunderland's where that air show was."

ReputationRep:
    Lol nice, so Stick Man who was your mysterious sixth... I think I missed the unveiling for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    There was an unveiling? :p:

ReputationRep:
    ooohhh glamourous

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Stick Man as if no one still knows.....can you tell us plzzz?

ReputationRep:
    It's definite, not definate. See, I helped

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I could really do with some advice, I've reached the *banging head on desk* stage...I thought I sorted out my uni choices months and months ago, but now I've got myself all confuzzled and tied in a knot...
    So far I've got:
    1.Oxbridge (definite) - I always thought I wanted to go to Oxford, then I went to Cambridge to look round the other week, and really really liked it...so now I need to rethink....
    2. Durham (definite)
    3. Nottingham (definite)
    4. Manchester (maybe)
    5. Bristol (possibly)
    6. Warwick (possibly)
    7. York (possibly)

The thing is..most of the unis I really like are AAA. I have been predicted straight As for A2, but it would probably be wise to have an AAB in there too, I'm just having difficulty finding one I like. I know York is AAB, but that is such a new department I'm concerned that it won't have a good enough reputation to help me get a good job at the end.

I'd really appreciate any advice, I'm getting myself really stressed out now!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sephaeii]Hi, I could really do with some advice, I've reached the *banging head on desk* stage...I thought I sorted out my uni choices months and months ago, but now I've got myself all confuzzled and tied in a knot...
    So far I've got:
    7. York (possibly)
    QUOTE]

erm (cough, cough), have you actually looked at the York uni Law course? What, specifically, interests you about it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    (Original post by Sephaeii)
    Hi, I could really do with some advice, I've reached the *banging head on desk* stage...I thought I sorted out my uni choices months and months ago, but now I've got myself all confuzzled and tied in a knot...
    So far I've got:
    7. York (possibly)
    erm (cough, cough), have you actually looked at the York uni Law course? What, specifically, interests you about it? :rolleyes:
    For god's sake. The course is basically going to be the same everywhere. How the hell are you supposed to select which uni you want to go to based n a difference of, say, a module or two, before you've even started studying Law?

I wish people would stop bleating on about "the course". An LLB is basically going to be the same anywhere you go, bar Oxbridge, where the style of teaching is different.

Nothing interests me about Durham's Law course more so than anywhere else, bar the studying abroad options, which are offered everywhere else anyway. I chose it because I love the uni, and it's one of the best Law courses in the country. We all have to do eight key modules anyway, and if you think "Ooh, maritime shipping Law is a possible option in the third year! I'm so interested, it's clearly going to be impossible to study that anywhere else - I'll go there!", you may end up not even taking the module.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 8, 2007

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.