Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been contacted by a modelling agency to go to an open day but I don't know whether to go?!?

They said they would take 3 pictures and it wouldn't cost me anything, and they said they were part of the A list agency, so they wont' mess me around.

After that they will decide whether they want to put me on the books.

I need help, do you think that i should go to the open day?

ReputationRep:
    Go. But, make sure you don't let them bribe you into paying ANYTHING. Also, make sure that you know exactly what type of modelling they want. You don't want to be in a position where they are persuading you into doing topless shots.

I'm sure there is a website of reputable modelling agencies. Check to see if they're on there. Find out who they have links with, so you'll get an idea of what type of modelling you may have to do.

Only go if you're really sure you want to do it. Modelling isn't the nicest business. You have to be very comfortable with yourself and it's not something you can enter light heartedly. And, don't get your hopes up too high! If they don't take you on it isn't because you're fat or ugly.. They're just after a certain look, if you don't fit that look it's no comment on the way you look.

ReputationRep:
    thats why i was so suprised when they emailed me bcause i never thought of myself as particularly pretty and i'm VERY self conscious
    i really want to do it im just really scared

ReputationRep:
    How did they first see you? Did you send off a picture?

If you're alredy very self conscious it may not be the best idea. Although, you can always go to the open day and decline if they want you. I suppose it could go either way. Modelling could give you confidence, or it could make you even more self conscious.

How do you feel you'll react if you go to the open day and they decide they don't want you? If you think it will dent your self confidence a lot, then I don't think it's wise you go.

If I was you I'd go, but take it all with a pinch of salt. We all know that models aren't often pretty but, they have a certain unique look. It's natural to be nervous about going, don't let that stop you. But, if you are very self conscious it may not be the wisest of ideas. I know that if I was ever asked (I know I never woudld be lol), I wouldn't be able to do it as I'm just too insecure and already have image problems and modelling could just push me over the edge. You know yourself. talk about it with people you know. If it's something you really want to do, give it a try. And, remember that there will always be someone prettier and thinner than you.. That's just life. Don't let it worsen your self esteem.

I don't know how secure you are in yourself. It's up to you. But, do make sure that the modelling agency is reputable. Search their name on the internet. I only know of STORM.. But, I'm sure there will be a UK modelling watchdog type website which can help and guide you into knowing if this modelling agency is actually reputable. I worry when you say 'open day'.. As I know that a lot of online agencies hold opendays in which anyone can pop along and they ask you to subscribe to their books and there is always a cost involved. So, make sure you research it properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:Bubbles:.)
    I've been contacted by a modelling agency to go to an open day but I don't know whether to go?!?

They said they would take 3 pictures and it wouldn't cost me anything, and they said they were part of the A list agency, so they wont' mess me around.

After that they will decide whether they want to put me on the books.

I need help, do you think that i should go to the open day?

hey hun ive done modelling before, if you dont know know how they have got in contact with u i would ignore it, however if u have sent them pictures/email for example get yourself along but make sure u take somebody with you.

I went to one of these a while ago at a hotel in newcastle they just do little interviews with you etc, nothing to worry about. DO NOT pay anything or sign anything until you have checked it over with someone ok, good luck!!! x

ReputationRep:
    http://www.swpp.co.uk/trade_model_agencies/UK.htm

theres a list of agencies. i duno if its all of them but A list doesnt seem to be on there unless theyr on another name.

edit - actually its not a complete list because theres one called ugly which isnt on there.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go, its an opportunity, and if you dont go, you might always wonder how it would have turned out. So long as it wont cost you anything, what have you got to loose really? Just remember you dont have to do anything you dont want to - dont let them force you into anything. Good luck hope it turns out well!

ReputationRep:
    Check out this link: www.albamodel.info
    It lists all the reputable modelling agencies as well as providing advice and tips if your thinking of entering the modelling world.
    Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth going just to check it out, imagine if it were a genuine opportunity and you missed out! I do think you should be wary though, Lucyatthegym made some good points above.

ReputationRep:
    How did they find you?

ReputationRep:
    i can't find them on google. they probably aren't legit.... (a legit company has a website so that companies can check their books easily!) there are ALOT of companies about taking advantage of people wanting to become models...

if they say that you need to pay copyright on the photos it's crap. copyright is free in the UK. but they normally claim it's a couple of hundred.. i know a couple of people on ICM and select and you pay as you earn, not upfront

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confectionary)
    How did they find you?
    they sent me a message on myspace.
    I thought that they were dodgy but then i checked on the modelling watchdog site and they were on there.

Also my bf has problem with me going because he doesn't want other people looking at me. Should i pass up this potential opportunity just because of his insecurity?

ReputationRep:
    I'd go (If it is legit) But don't let them talk you into anything and charging you things like this have been on Watchdog before.

ReputationRep:
    i'd go if i was you!! you're boyfriend shouldnt be soo insecure! just if you go, like everyone else has said don't pay them anything and don't sign anything until you're sure. good luck

ReputationRep:
    Also my bf has problem with me going because he doesn't want other people looking at me. Should i pass up this potential opportunity just because of his insecurity?
    It doesn't sound like you're too bothered by how he feels about this...

You can go, but make sure that you're wary of everything that you're asked to do. Also, talk to your boyfriend about it and tell him how you feel about it - but don't be harsh to him, because he's only trying to care for his girlfriend after all.

ReputationRep:
    they sent me a message on myspace.
    I thought that they were dodgy but then i checked on the modelling watchdog site and they were on there.

They've contacted me aswell if it's what I think it is. I'm not interested to be honest- I just don't think myspace is reliable enough. If you go, take your boyfriend with you x

ReputationRep:
    I've been contacted by a couple of modelling agencies through myspace messages but I always assumed they were just chain messages or something and deleted them, had no idea they were real!!! I'd be too scared to go for something like that though but if you want to try it and they sound reputable definitely go for it!!! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I got a message off myspace from a supposed modelling agency too, but I just ignored it. They were like Hotties Of Myspace or something and they were asking me to message back with my name and age and a couple of pics but I just thought, err no way lol.

But yours sounds alright, you should definitely go! It'll be fun :]

(Original post by Allie.)
    I got a message off myspace from a supposed modelling agency too, but I just ignored it. They were like Hotties Of Myspace or something and they were asking me to message back with my name and age and a couple of pics but I just thought, err no way lol.

But yours sounds alright, you should definitely go! It'll be fun :]
    I had that same message as well from them!! They kept going on and on until I just blocked them because they got on my nerves.

Clearly not a proper agency!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't go. Especially not from a MySpace message! If you want to model, find a reputable agency online, submit your pictures, and hope for a response.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.